US politics - When the Barr's so low.

Lykos

23 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I think that may be what's happening, offically.  And maybe the news is just being reported pre-announcements. 

Well, at least according to this report, all three will be in New York on Saturday.  And Omar already released an official statement.  My thinking was you hold off on Omar and Tlaib til a later date to get multiple (and spread out) news cycles off of it - plus give you time to convince the 4th member of "The Squad" (Pressley).  Although I wouldn't be surprised if she endorses by Saturday as well.

So your boss isn't going to seek articles of impeachment after all, because that would require.... something.  But nobody told the moderators nor candidates who spent 45 minutes on impeachment because it makes them feel.....alive again.   (most of them are about to crumble into dust).   Except for Tulsi Gabbart, so she gets asked about being too young and the oldsters turned to her like, "come on, get with it.  Be more hip, like us."    And then Gabbart pointed out the others didn't have commander in chief qualifications and CNN pulled 6 G's in the fastest hardest dive into a commercial break that's ever been seen.   So we know CNN's opinion of these candidates!  They couldn't be allowed to face that question.  Go to break!  For the love of God, errrrr, for the love of emptiness, go to break!

One of the moderators was Barrack Obama's father, i noticed.   That seemed like an unfair advantage for Biden.   Erin Bennett was the belle of the ball.  She's usually more fat faced i discovered after looking her up.   And then you had the white haired Ellen viewer asking the candidates Ellen related questions.

For those too young to realize it, Amy [Clow- vitch- ur] is the actual democrat out of this whole bunch.   The others have migrated and are, well they are what they are.   Beto is on the patch, he's down to only using Spanish conjunctions now.    If Yang and he were high, what about Steyer's eyes?   He sought out the camera so hard and peered so deep into it that you could feel him feeding on you through the screen.  Was he the guy who started running impeach trump ads like 7 years ago, before it was even possible?

I don't understand why Booker is seen as an obama with none of the charisma.   Like, what gives?   If Trump was seen as a huge step backwards for the country, why is it too soon to go back to the black well again?   Booker's talkings have more content than obama's which were all sizzle.   Book says more meaningful things in terms of guiding the country well from the office.    Buddy Edge x 2 is still my gay.  My guy.   The candidate I fancy.   Julian was also there.   Hey, if your whole thing for the whole trump term is that you've trumped up some racism charges, why aren't you going with Castro to hammer that home and close the deal?   I'm just saying.  On account of how Warren will win zero states.

your boss isn't going to seek articles of impeachment after all, because that would require.... something

as usual, you get everything wrong.  your fuhrer will be served with articles of impeachment.  the house is simply declining to hold a floor vote because its rules and the constitution don't require it. 

As an outsider looking in, I see Bernie as representative of a worldwide movement, and I hope he keeps fighting despite the health issues because I don't see Warren as a replacement, she seems to be playing both sides (the establishment and the progressive wing) and it's not clear whose camp she'll end up in. She's also admitted that she'll be accepting big money donations in the general election.

Another outsider here (but hey, Russia, China, and the Ucraine are happily allowed to interfere, but I don't get just one tiny vote?!). So... half-informed ramblings ahead.

I'm about one hour in. Warren under massive attack but doing well and coming across as energetic. Clear, concise, reasonable.

Biden hasn't majorly slipped up yet, so that's good for him, I guess.

Bernie... if you were 20 years younger... And yes, that's unfair, but it is how it is. It's also unfair that women and black people have a harder time, so stand in line, please. Please step down and prove that those who believe you'd rather endorse another white male than the other leftist-ish opponent who has a chance to win the primaries by asking your followers to endorse Warren! (Yeah, who am I kidding.)

Why does he never, ever look into the camera?

Harris is clearly going for the women electorate, right from the start when she was quoting, if I didn't misunderstand (American accent, people talking fast), Mary Angelou.

Buttigieg crawling into the rich people and corporations' behinds... Ugh. Sorry, you're not THAT cute.

Yang has always annoyed me with his lame "... but look, let's be real..." schtick. Plus the term "freedom dividend" is just ridiculous.

Klobuchar... go away. Although she did get a nice dig at 45 in ("That's the one moment he told the truth").

Harris is very amicable and into harmony this time around, she applying for the vice presidency? Booker beating the same drum ("we have one shot... I've seen that script before").

So, Trump invites the grieving parents of a boy killed in a hit and run to the White House and offers bland sympathy, before revealing that, SURPRISE, we've also invited your son's killer and she's waiting in the room next door!

You can hardly tell that he's a reality television star masquerading as a politician at all, can you?

22 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

So, Trump invites the grieving parents of a boy killed in a hit and run to the White House and offers bland sympathy, before revealing that, SURPRISE, we've also invited your son's killer and she's waiting in the room next door!

And of course he invited the press. Because he thinks that meeting was a photo op. Yeah, he thinks these people's lives are fodder for the Donald Show.

I have a growing feeling (looking from the outside in) Warren is going to get the nomination. In some ways, she's the compromise candidate - she has some of the progressiveness of Bernie, as a woman she takes some of Harris and Klobuchar's shine, and she is clearly trying to angle for some of the Biden votes as well. Add to all this the fact that she's 70, which is still a fair bit younger than Biden/Sanders, and yet significantly older (and hence more comforting for older voters) than Buttigieg and Yang.

Is that a thing Trump actually did (press, parents, etc)? Why am I surprised? Is it good that I can still be surprised or bad that half the country doesn't know to be offended?

Anyway - I have liked Klobuchar in the past precisely because she was a kind of level-headed moderate and sometimes you just need that when both sides are breathing fire. I've even had thoughts of supporting a presidential run from her. However, the time for her brand of moderate politics in our leader is past IMO and everytime I hear her speak now - rally, ads, debates - she just sounds like someone bitter that the landscape changed under her feet. She doesn't try to persuade you that she's a good candidate, it feels more like she's upset with you for not realizing how great she is.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

Is that a thing Trump actually did (press, parents, etc)? Why am I surprised? Is it good that I can still be surprised or bad that half the country doesn't know to be offended?

Yup, it's real. Dunno how much it's hit the news in the States - you're probably busy with primaries and impeachment news.

Wife of a US diplomat in the UK hits a teenage motorbike rider (who subsequently dies) a few weeks ago; and fled the country under diplomatic immunity (having told the police that she wouldn't).

UK asks US to waive the diplomatic immunity - Trump says (and I paraphrase here) "She only kiled him because she was driving on the wrong side of the road; we've all done it, it could have happened to anyone - so no, we won't waive her immunity"

Grieving parents of said kid travel over to the US to try and apply pressure to convince her to return to the UK and have a chat with the police. Say that they're willing to meet with her, but only after she's promised to return to the UK.

Trump invites them in for a meeting in front of the press; refuses to waive diplomatic immunity; than announces that she's just in the next room, wanting to meet with them "let's get some healing done".

Gets told in slightly more polite terms, where he can shove his photo-op.

You can find plenty in the British press by googling Harry Dunn and Anne Sacoolys.

Never-Before-Seen Trump Tax Documents Show Major Inconsistencies
The president’s businesses made themselves appear more profitable to lenders and less profitable to tax officials. One expert calls the differing numbers “versions of fraud.”

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-inc-podcast-never-before-seen-trump-tax-documents-show-major-inconsistencies

Documents obtained by ProPublica show stark differences in how Donald Trump’s businesses reported some expenses, profits and occupancy figures for two Manhattan buildings, giving a lender different figures than they provided to New York City tax authorities. The discrepancies made the buildings appear more profitable to the lender — and less profitable to the officials who set the buildings’ property tax.

For instance, Trump told the lender that he took in twice as much rent from one building as he reported to tax authorities during the same year, 2017. He also gave conflicting occupancy figures for one of his signature skyscrapers, located at 40 Wall Street.

Lenders like to see a rising occupancy level as a sign of what they call “leasing momentum.” Sure enough, the company told a lender that 40 Wall Street had been 58.9% leased on Dec. 31, 2012, and then rose to 95% a few years later. The company told tax officials the building was 81% rented as of Jan. 5, 2013.

A dozen real estate professionals told ProPublica they saw no clear explanation for multiple inconsistencies in the documents. The discrepancies are “versions of fraud,” said Nancy Wallace, a professor of finance and real estate at the Haas School of Business at the University of California-Berkeley. “This kind of stuff is not OK.”

7 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Never-Before-Seen Trump Tax Documents Show Major Inconsistencies
The president’s businesses made themselves appear more profitable to lenders and less profitable to tax officials. One expert calls the differing numbers “versions of fraud.”

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-inc-podcast-never-before-seen-trump-tax-documents-show-major-inconsistencies

I'm shocked, shocked I tells you.

Who could ever have thought tat Trump's Tax returns would show inconsistencies and almost certain illegalities?

I'm shocked, shocked

round up the usual suspects, assuming that they're not already in prison.  this is lovely, though--to have the engineer hoist with his own petard:

ProPublica obtained the property tax documents using New York’s Freedom of Information Law. The documents were public because Trump appealed his property tax bill for the buildings every year for nine years in a row, the extent of the available records. We compared the tax records with loan records that became public when Trump’s lender, Ladder Capital, sold the debt on his properties as part of mortgage-backed securities.

"Tax fraud" is an easy to encapsulate, single issue that Trump should be hammered on. Combined with the sham tax bill that was passed this should be part of the strategy of whoever the candidate is.. I dont think impeachment is a magic bullet anymore, but he does need a single issue to define him now.

Archived