US politics - When the Barr's so low.

Lykos

WRT to Harry Dunn's parents.

A few things.

First the obligatory snipe: I am surprised that after three years of Trumpism, Americans are still able to understand the concept of shame and feel it. I thought that was the one benefit of having it in the Oval Office.

Second I am really surprised/shocked, that sometime in the WH PR department must have thought of that as a good idea, and nobody in there thought, yeah maybe not. Maybe they've succesfully managed to forget about such outdated concepts as shame.

WRT the Tax Returns.

Obviously nothing surprising in there. We all knew they would be bad and very likely contain criminal acts. Which brings me back to my initial snipe, does it matter? For a normal person under normal circumstances it would be with the Orange one? But on the other hand, maybe there's really the happy end we are looking for to be had. The entire Trump Klan ending impoverished and the Orange one in jail.

he does need a single issue to define him now

do we need a puerile nickname for him, like a children's book?

New this Season from Scholastic Book Club!

Dirty Donny & the Sodding Flawed Tax Fraud

Grumpy Trump Wailed in Jail

--and this year's favorite--

The Sweet 40 Wall Street Cheat Tweet Oubliette

I had heard of the incident in Britain, I had just not heard of the brilliant "surprise" press conference planned by the orange one. I just ... fuck him so much.

I've heard a couple of pundits wondering why the dem candidates haven't been hammering on Trump in the debates and I am wondering why they want them to. To me it seems like a waste of time when there's really no point of disagreement. The only people paying attention to the primaries are likely going to be plugged in and know exactly why Trump is fucking horrible and hope he's gone soon anyway (fingers crossed). What advantage does slamming Trump give any of these candidates right now? Is cheap theater and hammering an easy point convincing at this stage? When there are 12 people still on stage shouldn't you be pounding substance rather than outrage?

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

Yup, it's real. Dunno how much it's hit the news in the States - you're probably busy with primaries and impeachment news.

Wife of a US diplomat in the UK hits a teenage motorbike rider (who subsequently dies) a few weeks ago; and fled the country under diplomatic immunity (having told the police that she wouldn't).

UK asks US to waive the diplomatic immunity - Trump says (and I paraphrase here) "She only kiled him because she was driving on the wrong side of the road; we've all done it, it could have happened to anyone - so no, we won't waive her immunity"

Grieving parents of said kid travel over to the US to try and apply pressure to convince her to return to the UK and have a chat with the police. Say that they're willing to meet with her, but only after she's promised to return to the UK.

Trump invites them in for a meeting in front of the press; refuses to waive diplomatic immunity; than announces that she's just in the next room, wanting to meet with them "let's get some healing done".

Gets told in slightly more polite terms, where he can shove his photo-op.

You can find plenty in the British press by googling Harry Dunn and Anne Sacoolys.

Super fucked up on so many levels. One that stands out to me is that this wife of a diplomat accidentally killed a kid, and her first thought is to flee the country and hide in the U.S. The law does not apply to the rich and powerful. 

I then read that one of the more accurate politics analytic firms predicts Trump will handily retake the White House.

42 minutes ago, sologdin said:

that CNBC article concerns economic data only, and makes ceteris paribus assumptions.  trump is by contrast sui generis.

Yeah I saw that article on Drudge yesterday and it barely qualifies as news.  No shit Moodys' three models - which are based on the stock market, state unemployment rates, and "pocketbook" issues (namely gas prices, house prices, and changes in personal income) - predict reelection for the incumbent.  That's going to happen when the stock market is up, and unemployment, gas, and house prices are all down.  Obviously all those things are fluid and could look very differently a year from now.

Moreover - to get to the sui generis - these models all assume an intervening variable:  presidential approval.  When the economy is doing this well, the president is supposed to have high approval.  Trump is a decided anomaly in the history of presidential polling in that he does not.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I saw that article on Drudge yesterday and it barely qualifies as news.  No shit Moodys' three models - which are based on the stock market, state unemployment rates, and "pocketbook" issues (namely gas prices, house prices, and changes in personal income) - predict reelection for the incumbent.  That's going to happen when the stock market is up, and unemployment, gas, and house prices are all down.  Obviously all those things are fluid and could look very differently a year from now.

Moreover - to get to the sui generis - these models all assume an intervening variable:  presidential approval.  When the economy is doing this well, the president is supposed to have high approval.  Trump is a decided anomaly in the history of presidential polling in that he does not.

If Trump literally sat in the WH and did absolutely nothing, he'd probably have been re-elected easily on the economy alone.  Trump seems to go out of his way to cause himself grief.  Almost every initiative he's taken has been a humiliating failure, but his base just accepts whatever lies he makes up about it and thinks he won, so none of it really ends up mattering.  It leaves the rest of us thinking the nation is on crazy pills.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Never-Before-Seen Trump Tax Documents Show Major Inconsistencies
The president’s businesses made themselves appear more profitable to lenders and less profitable to tax officials. One expert calls the differing numbers “versions of fraud.”

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-inc-podcast-never-before-seen-trump-tax-documents-show-major-inconsistencies

This was written about at least here (meaning NY) during the campaign already.  SOP for bedbug and his dad and countless other thugs and gangsters.

1 hour ago, Simon Steele said:

Super fucked up on so many levels. One that stands out to me is that this wife of a diplomat accidentally killed a kid, and her first thought is to flee the country and hide in the U.S. The law does not apply to the rich and powerful.

And while no one expects better of Trump, the idea she meet with the kid's parents was originally hers.

She was not willing to face justice, but still wanted to get closure for herself by meeting the parents of the person she killed and having them publicly forgive her.

That sort of attitude really makes you realise where we have got to.

Politico has a really good rundown of the money race after last quarter's reports.  Some takeaways focusing on the cash on hand numbers - Sanders is an impressively commanding lead, and of course his fundraising should get quite the boost with the AOC/Squad news.  He's clearly not going anywhere anytime soon, health providing.  Still, Warren is raising plenty enough to keep up with him; plus, Buttigieg has almost as much cash on hand as Warren does!  Both Biden and Harris ran deficits last quarter, albeit each still has ~ $10 million cash on hand.  Notably, Harris has more cash on hand than Biden.  

Pretty much all the other lower tier candidates ran deficits last quarter as well (with the exception of Yang).  It's going to be very difficult for Booker, Beto, and Klobuchar to continue their race past the holiday season without some type of surge - although even a little surge could get them to Iowa.  Castro should be dropping out soon - he only has $670k on hand - and Gabbard as well, especially if she misses out on the November debate.  It will be nice to get her rambling and preposterous queries to other candidates off the stage.  Both have yet to qualify, along with Beto and Klobuchar (although I bet they both will get the polling needed).

After the debate, I think I would still prefer Warren, with Castro as VP. (I'm assuming she qould pick a younger male VP.)

Best line of the evening:

Castro, about caging kids at the border and letting ISIS prisoners run free. Runner-up: "If you were Kim Jong-Un..."

People I hope will be gone soon: Gabbard, Yang, Buttigieg. Had never before heard of the billionnaire dude, so... huh. Nah, him, too.

Btw., Buttigieg's little attack on Beto looked completely forced and artificial: Dude, I don't need no f-ing lessons in courage from you! Wanna taste of my courage?! Emabarrassing. Shut. Up. Did his advisors say he came across too soft, but he somehow missed a better opportunity to prove his manly manliness?

Anyway, anyone would be better than T, Pence or - as warren put it so eloquently - whoever the republicans get stuck with. I'm not optimistic, though.

NBC's attack tracker from last night clearly indicates that the field thinks Warren is the candidate to beat at the moment. The candidates were directly attacked 26 times with 16 of them going after Warren. No other candidate had more than two attacks directed at them. That's pretty telling. 

Archived