US politics - When the Barr's so low.

Lykos

3 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

But this was the whole point, wasn't it? That Clinton's loss comes from misogyny?

No, that was definitely not the point.  The point is Hillary is especially, almost uniquely hated and that definitely has something to do with her gender.  You're the one who's reducing it to this binary argument.

3 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

You and I can go in circles around Sanders or Warren's devotion to class struggle, but they are the best we have at the moment.

Fair enough, can't argue with that.  My issue is with you juxtaposing the two wings of the party in overly combative terms, as if the schism is between the pinnacle of elite establishment - as well as corruption - and revolutionaries.  It's really not.

1 hour ago, nah said:

Are you really gonna sit there and tell me there was nothing misogynistic in the way people went after Palin's intelligence, her looks, her family, etc. in comparison with the treatment other Republicans of near identical policy stances and character have gotten?

Yeah there definitely was.  And with her family and depicting them as hicks.  But, they made it really, really easy.

So how does Mick Mulvaney still have a job?  A screwup like Thursday's is enough for a CoS to resign in shame.  Now he's done it twice within 72 hours?  Is this like a suicide-by-cop thing?

59 minutes ago, DMC said:

So how does Mick Mulvaney still have a job?  A screwup like Thursday's is enough for a CoS to resign in shame.  Now he's done it twice within 72 hours?  Is this like a suicide-by-cop thing?

Well, They Say 1) it would look very very very bad right now to fire him because quid pro quo reasons; & 2) he likes the guy personally.

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Well, They Say 1) it would look very very very bad right now to fire him because quid pro quo reasons; & 2) he likes the guy personally.

Because the only people left in Trumpworld are dead-enders. Doesn't Mulvaney still have the OMB job, or the CFPB job as well? There's double-staffing and interim appointments running huge swathes of the government. But I guess a White House job isn't very busy when you're just sitting around waiting for President Shithole to tweet and then react with maximum incompetence.

ETA: Holy fuck, Mulvaney has three jobs. And Bill O'Reilly's acting like a woman can't work four jobs and take care of a special needs kid, while Mulvaney's out there working jobs and caring for a large toddler in permanent tantrum mode.

5 hours ago, nah said:

Tbh I don't think any of them are really that dumb. Even Trump, what a lot of people take for stupidity I think is really just a combination of nastiness, bigotry, and incompetence in his current position. Like, he's a brilliant con-artist. So was Palin when you look at how successful the Tea Party were in imitating various aspects of her style.

Nah,

Trump isn’t “stupid”.  He’s deeply ignorant and seems bizarrely proud of his ignorance.  His fans are proud of his ignorance as well.

It’s incredibly sad.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Because the only people left in Trumpworld are dead-enders. Doesn't Mulvaney still have the OMB job, or the CFPB job as well? There's double-staffing and interim appointments running huge swathes of the government.

Indeed, these are the reasons - was being rhetorical/tongue-in-cheek.  But I don't think Trump likes Mick personally.  In fact I'd say the opposite - Mick is more just one of the very few halfway (quarterway?) competent people left who's willing to work for him.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

He's easier to control within the administration, if he's out there's a risk that he agrees to testify in the impeachment inquiry and surely knows a lot of incriminating information. I think he probably does want out.

And yet, somehow, if he isn't convicted in the Senate or resigns before he can be convicted he could still win a 2nd term.

Unfortunately even if you could pass some kind of too dumb to vote law a Trump-like might still win because there are plenty of smart people who are happy to have someone like Trump pissing about in the White House while they run and ruin the world from the shadows.

Lets see, we got Palin, hicks, misogyny, conspiracy, fake news, elites, aquifers, Quadaffi being raped, the Tea Party, Jace lighting up, and a dick in someone's name. 

I really love when we get to the last few pages of these political threads, always the best posts hands down.:D

For everyone who has said the GOP can't/never reins Trump in - WaPo:

President Trump was forced to abandon his decision to host next year’s Group of Seven summit at his private golf club after it became clear the move had alienated Republicans and swiftly become part of the impeachment inquiry that threatens his presidency.

In a round of phone calls with conservative allies this weekend, Trump was told Republicans are struggling to defend him on so many fronts, according to an administration official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal matters.

Archived