US politics - When the Barr's so low.

Lykos

32 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Eisenhower and Ford were both bald. Tywin seems to think "bald" is a synonym for "fully shaved head." 

Nah, just cracking a joke about how appearances impact presidential campaigns. You’re fighting a real uphill fight if you’re a short, fat, bald and bearded man running for president.

29 minutes ago, Ormond said:

(I think he's probably lying; it's just that I think his meaning is clear to me.)

As a 34 year-old myself I avoided texting as long as pragmatically possible.  But now my mom mostly communicates by text.  Anyway, the above was my point, and the focus was more on the "back-and-forth" aspect than the definition of conversation.

So much for the "NO QUID PRO QUO!" defense...

From what I'm seeing on social media, this presser was nuts. They also announced that next year's G7 will be at a Trump property and they don't care at all how that looks. 

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

And amidst all this shit, the WH just announced that the G7 will indeed be held at Trump's property, because of course it will.

That's disgraceful, I wish the other countries would boycott the meeting then.

RIP Congressman Cummings

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Agreed. Something about him just feels fake, and I have a hard time buying someone who is essentially selling themselves as a perfect human being.

Booker is the Tom Cruise of politicians.

18 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

So was Mulvaney a rat jumping the ship, or was the admission about investigating Biden planned? The White House will have to change it’s name to the Nutty House!

It was planned. They didn't admit to investigating Biden. They admitted to investigating the DNC server, which isn't tied to a political opponent. It's calculated to say "see, we're not doing a quid pro quo against an opponent, just trying to find out what happened in 2016". 

6 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

"Millions of lives will be saved" because the US and Turkey agreed to a 5 day ceasefire. Does that mean millions of lives were at risk because of Trump's foolhardy decision? And will he now claim he "saved" those lives?

The levels of self-delusion he has is truly astonishing.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

And amidst all this shit, the WH just announced that the G7 will indeed be held at Trump's property, because of course it will.

They're giving up even the pretense of caring about what people think now.

45 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

"Millions of lives will be saved" because the US and Turkey agreed to a 5 day ceasefire. Does that mean millions of lives were at risk because of Trump's foolhardy decision? And will he now claim he "saved" those lives?

The levels of self-delusion he has is truly astonishing.

Also, the Kurds didn't agree to it. Looks like they refuse to play Czechoslovakians to Trump's Chamberlain. Good for them - no sane group of people would trust Trump and Pence to negotiate on their behalf.

5 minutes ago, nah said:

Also is it just me or is Tulsi Gabbard dressing like the villain from every YA dystopian movie from the past decade.

Haven't a clue here as to what you're talking about.  What exactly is she wearing in terms of pants suits and hairstyle that has the appearance of a YA villain?  She looks like every other professional woman going to work, as far as I can tell.

Nope.  Hillary wore all white suits. So did Tom Wolfe, Somerset Maugham (who spent a lot of time on islands), and The Man in the White Suit, and a whole lot of others have and do, including all the Kardashians.  For that matter I have an all white suit. White suits are part of every well appointed wardrobe, especially for hot weather. So, nope.

Though ... Hillary is a true villain when it comes to at least one island.  Ask the Haitians.

5 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I remember when Bernie first ran in 2016, and he began talking about middle class tax increases being necessary to fun better social programs and infrastructure (of course, the lion's share of taxes will not be on the middle class). I remember as a struggling middle class single parent, I didn't like this at all.

for me and my son, we have 600+ a month in premiums, nearly 25 percent of my check

That doesn't sound like middle class to me. Indeed, I'd say "struggling middle class" is an oxymoron. I'd be very unimpressed by any Democrat wanting to raise taxes on the lowest couple of income brackets!

41 minutes ago, nah said:

Lex Luthor = All white suit.

Hunger Games villain = All white suit.

Maze Runner villain = All white suit.

Plus she lives on an island, way out in the middle of the ocean. You're not seeing what I'm seeing?

I mean, I don't agree with your premise, but the raven hair with a white streak is not doing her any favors in this comparison.

(no shade to Tulsi personally because that streak is fabulous)

Early reports that Rick Perry will be stepping down soon. Not a lot more than that right now. I mean, I'd get the hell out of there too, but it kind of pisses me off when politicians can avoid trouble by stepping down. Public loses all interest in accountability after that. I am not sure what role he had in all this and I'm not saying he's in deep cause I just don't know, but this is always my first thought. Stepping down is the right move if there's been wrongdoing, but it shouldn't be a get out of jail free card. Personally I hope he's just a useful moron because not everyone can be hopelessly corrupt, can they? The normal amount of corrupt, sure, but law-flouting don't give a fuck corrupted? I'm still an optimist at heart.

Archived