Harrenhal's tourney, then what?

rotting sea cow

It occurred to me that Rhaegar was probably a pretty good guy who was way too hung up on prophecy.   I give him a little slack due to his being a magical being and all.  The tourney at Harrenhal may well have been a cover for some grand conspiracy against Aerys in favor of the larger concerns of the overall kingdom.   That fits with Rhaegar and his statements to Jamie.  With this in mind I think it's likely that the tourney was designed to put feelers out for Rhaegar at the very least.  I think it was prophecy that turned Rhaegar from his true intentions here.  We don't really know what happened between Rhaegar and Lyanna, but I'm leaning toward some meeting while he was out looking for the Knight of the Laughing Tree that led to discussion and some sort of new inspiration for Rhaegar.  The only thing I know Lyanna was definitely interested in is horses and taking her vassals seriously.  She spent a lot of time and effort on Howland Reed, regardless whether she was the mystery knight or not.   For all I know, prophecy was a big deal to her, too.  Anything could have happened between the son of fire and daughter of ice that isn't easily relegated to lust or infatuation.   Jon's birth and our acceptance of Jon's importance makes their meeting important to the powers of fate in ASOIAF.  Jon was destined for something, be it TPTWP or just a great diplomat and unifier, I believe his birth was 100% intentional by both of his parents.   In short, bringing Jon into the world was much more important than a great council or deposing his father or even ruling the realm, to his father and maybe his mother, too.   

8 minutes ago, Travis said:

What gives you the idea Rhaegar was a magical being? I'm not criticizing, I'm genuinely curious.

He's a son of Targaryens from Valyria.  His future sister brought dragons back into the world.  I'm pretty sure the Targs and Starks are magical beings.  

Archived