Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 3

RedEyedGhost

It's a real good looking trailer. And even if it weren't, I'd still be excited. I have trust in the show after how good its been so far.

I don't think its confirmed that Zachary Levi is or isn't in Season 3. From the trailer, if he is in it I don't think its a very big part. But I don't think there's been a definitive statement on it. It seems like a pretty big thread from Season 2 to just completely drop though; even if the signs are clear that their relationship was on the rocks.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

I don't think its confirmed that Zachary Levi is or isn't in Season 3. From the trailer, if he is in it I don't think its a very big part. But I don't think there's been a definitive statement on it. It seems like a pretty big thread from Season 2 to just completely drop though; even if the signs are clear that their relationship was on the rocks.

He doesn't have any credit for season 3 on imdb, so it seems very unlikely that he's in it (not that that guarantees anything).

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2019 at 11:11 AM, Risto said:

So, I binged this...

Not sure how I feel about the ending...

Do you mean making the jokes or the aftermath (in terms of the tour). I sort of assume there will be no real repercussions for her

even though possibly outing someone back then was very serious and the Judy Garland shoes things was not subtle as friend of Dorothy reference, and given what happened earlier that season she should have known

, because nothing ever seems to have real repercussions for her. Which I'm starting to find frustrating there isn't much character growth. But then I consider that Joan Rivers who is at least a major inspiration for Mrs Maisel probably wouldn't have cared about who she hurt either (at least in terms of her public persona and her jokes).

5 hours ago, dornishpen said:

Do you mean making the jokes or the aftermath (in terms of the tour). I sort of assume there will be no real repercussions for her

Hide contents

even though possibly outing someone back then was very serious and the Judy Garland shoes things was not subtle as friend of Dorothy reference, and given what happened earlier that season she should have known

, because nothing ever seems to have real repercussions for her. Which I'm starting to find frustrating there isn't much character growth. But then I consider that Joan Rivers who is at least a major inspiration for Mrs Maisel probably wouldn't have cared about who she hurt either (at least in terms of her public persona and her jokes).

Spoiler

So, yeah, both the joke and the aftermath. I was very surprised by Reggie's action. Perhaps it is my naivete, or the fact I am not familiar with America's 1960s slang. For me, the butt of the joke was his beauty. I feel that she talked to him like one would talk these days about Ryan Gosling or David Beckham, the type of men that both men and women find too beautiful. After the airport scene, I had to watch the entire thing again. And then, I was "Oh, boy..." So, I am not really sure whether the interpretation is there only if you know the fact and want to see it like ultimately Shy did. That said, we have no idea how the audience in Harlem felt and whether her skit really went as an outing of Shy.

I have felt bad for her and I have felt bad for Shy. It was a real f**k up and Reggie was aware of everything. That said, Sterling K. Brown slayed that scene... All those years in "This is Us" finally paid off :D

As for Joan Rivers...

Perhaps it is the fact that we are becoming overly sensitive when it comes to jokes, but I feel that the culture nowadays is not well suited for that particular type of humor. I watched Rivers in some skits, there was interesting "Fashion police" specials after major award shows that I liked. I think in many interviews she said that people should not take those jokes seriously as they are meant to entertain, and not actually represent anyone's serious opinion about any of the celebrities. I remember how she made jokes regarding some of Cate Blanchett's clothes but then I also remember when Cate did her usual Cate thing Rivers just widening her arms and calling her "movie star". So, I feel there are no maliciousness behind those jokes. That said, that kind of show nowadays would be considered insensitive. But then again, these days we think any joke is insensitive so that speaks more about this generation than anything else.

6 hours ago, Risto said:
  Hide contents

So, yeah, both the joke and the aftermath. I was very surprised by Reggie's action. Perhaps it is my naivete, or the fact I am not familiar with America's 1960s slang. For me, the butt of the joke was his beauty. I feel that she talked to him like one would talk these days about Ryan Gosling or David Beckham, the type of men that both men and women find too beautiful. After the airport scene, I had to watch the entire thing again. And then, I was "Oh, boy..." So, I am not really sure whether the interpretation is there only if you know the fact and want to see it like ultimately Shy did. That said, we have no idea how the audience in Harlem felt and whether her skit really went as an outing of Shy.

I have felt bad for her and I have felt bad for Shy. It was a real f**k up and Reggie was aware of everything. That said, Sterling K. Brown slayed that scene... All those years in "This is Us" finally paid off :D

As for Joan Rivers...

Perhaps it is the fact that we are becoming overly sensitive when it comes to jokes, but I feel that the culture nowadays is not well suited for that particular type of humor. I watched Rivers in some skits, there was interesting "Fashion police" specials after major award shows that I liked. I think in many interviews she said that people should not take those jokes seriously as they are meant to entertain, and not actually represent anyone's serious opinion about any of the celebrities. I remember how she made jokes regarding some of Cate Blanchett's clothes but then I also remember when Cate did her usual Cate thing Rivers just widening her arms and calling her "movie star". So, I feel there are no maliciousness behind those jokes. That said, that kind of show nowadays would be considered insensitive. But then again, these days we think any joke is insensitive so that speaks more about this generation than anything else.

I understood where it was going as I was watching, I think the stuff about his beauty and even his flamboyance could have been ok, but friend of Dorothy was code for a gay man and by 1960 was I think a bit too well known (though I wasn't alive and don't know for sure) for a joke like that to be ok, I mean Judy garlands slippers is a bit on the nose

About Joan Rivers, I agree her humor isn't suited for today's climate and while I did love some aspects of fashion police and mostly it was punching up at rich celebs, I liked the dress and other sartorial choice mockery, I wasn't into mocking things people can't easily control like the fat shaming or aging comments, and I have to disagree about the cruelty as I think her humor could be quite malicious, albeit perhaps in a thoughtless way.

1 hour ago, dornishpen said:

Hide contents

I understood where it was going as I was watching, I think the stuff about his beauty and even his flamboyance could have been ok, but friend of Dorothy was code for a gay man and by 1960 was I think a bit too well known (though I wasn't alive and don't know for sure) for a joke like that to be ok, I mean Judy garlands slippers is a bit on the nose

Spoiler

As I said, I have no idea about the slang that was used in 1960s. So I have no idea how they called a homosexual without actually using a word.In terms of modern society, one would certainly say "oh, yeah" I wasn't sure about back then. And the fact we don't have the real backlash - like Shy's career being truly jeopardized by it, I am not sure whether the audience got "Shy is gay" vibe. Given that Shy is aware of his own sexuality, naturally, he got perhaps more from that joke than anyone else. I really felt Midge stayed, as she said, "two, three blocks away".

1 hour ago, dornishpen said:

I wasn't into mocking things people can't easily control like the fat shaming or aging comments, and I have to disagree about the cruelty as I think her humor could be quite malicious, albeit perhaps in a thoughtless way.

It's been a while since I watched it as I don't remember any fat shaming. Like Shy, I would read more into those jokes :D As for ageist, she always made jokes about herself too. But, as I said, it's been a while. Perhaps now it would look different to me.

3 hours ago, Risto said:
  Hide contents

As I said, I have no idea about the slang that was used in 1960s. So I have no idea how they called a homosexual without actually using a word.In terms of modern society, one would certainly say "oh, yeah" I wasn't sure about back then. And the fact we don't have the real backlash - like Shy's career being truly jeopardized by it, I am not sure whether the audience got "Shy is gay" vibe. Given that Shy is aware of his own sexuality, naturally, he got perhaps more from that joke than anyone else. I really felt Midge stayed, as she said, "two, three blocks away".

I don't think we know if Reggie or Shy made the decision, but Reggie as manager or Shy himself may have felt it was too close to home even if only a few other closeted people in the audience got the reference and everyone else didn't because of the risk of rumors. Being flamboyant was ok, being gay wasn't.

Also once Reggie mentioned Judy Garland shoes, Susie immediately understood why Midge was fired. I know she's coded as a lesbian (though it's never been made explicit), so her familiarity may not indicate general familiarity. I wish someone who was alive at the time could tell us how widely known friend of Dorothy was back then.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay. Finished this up and that last episode was just about one of the best hours or so of television I remember in a long time.

I don't know the right words to say about that final set, but it truly wasn't done out of ill will.  Midge might make fun of friends and family around her, but never by talking about something that isn't a secret.  She doesn't tell secrets in her act.  She believed Reggie when he told her to talk about Shy.  And it was telling when he fired her that he wasn't going to take the hit for her and tell Shy that it was his idea.  Because neither knew what each actually knew.  I'm confident that it was Reggie that fired Midge, not Shy.  To protect himself.

Before that though, the scene in Joel's club was great. 

Everything with Midge and Benjamin was fantastic.  That they didn't drop that thread, and we actually got two episodes with Zachary Levi was great.

I need Season 4.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Episode 5 was hard hard work. But imdb has it as the best episode of the season. I dont understand people anymore. 

I don't know if it was the best of the season, but all the stuff with Lenny Bruce was great.  

Archived