A picture in "Blood and Fire"

Anthony Appleyard

I have been examining a double-spread picture in "Blood and Fire" (pages 140 and 141 in the hardback version). It shows King Jarehaerys I marrying Alysanne. in a large building, which I suppose may have been a big sept or may have been a large ordinary room pressed into service as a wedding room. At left-back in the book behind the congregation are two dragons, presumably Vermithor and Silverwing :: and the book's text says "in the presence of gods and men and dragons" or similar. Bringing two dragons into a sept service seems unexpected and risky. It is to be wondered how much the dragons understood of what was going on. One is standing on all fours (back feet and the wrists of its wings), and the other is rearing up on its hindlegs.

I also saw two pairs of dragon wings, one pair mid front, and the other pair showing their wrist joints and claws from behind the lower part of the right edge. I wondered how two more dragons could be posed to show four wings like that, including whether the picture showed what one of them was seeing; but in the end I guessed that those four dragon wings were carved stonework; compare two stone dragon carvings on an opposite wall.

I assume this is the artwork you are referring to.. 

I suppose may have been a big sept or may have been a large ordinary room pressed into service as a wedding room.

On Dragonstone, Alysanne and Jaehaerys were married in secret, with Septon Oswyck performing the ceremony.

It doesn't really look too much like a Sept to me, maybe it's the Great Hall?

I guessed that those four dragon wings were carved stonework

Yea, it looks as if the extra wings are from the gargoyles. 

It is to be wondered how much the dragons understood of what was going on.

Dragons seem to be unnatural constructs, with one of the main ingredients being a human soul.  
So I would suspect that they might be as intelligent as Men, though perhaps with their minds being somewhat clouded by Fire and the desire to consume. 

I have found in the book, that the wedding was in a big open courtyard on Dragonstone.

> Dragons seem to be unnatural constructs

They could have arisen by (on Planetos, magic-influenced) natural evolution, if the forces of magic were around there before sentient beings arose and spread.

48 minutes ago, Anthony Appleyard said:

I have found in the book, that the wedding was in a big open courtyard on Dragonstone.

Ahh, the artwork makes it look like it could be inside, but that makes more sense.

51 minutes ago, Anthony Appleyard said:

They could have arisen by (on Planetos, magic-influenced) natural evolution, if the forces of magic were around there before sentient beings arose and spread.

I've gotten the impression they are some sort of magically fused hybrid of a number of creatures.  

With a kingly blood sacrifice to light the spark in the stone.  

Perhaps not being too dissimilar from the Weirwood sacrifices and their tendency to also turn to stone.   

Archived