Why couldn't Robb send a team to retrieve Sansa?

Angel Eyes

Robb seems kind through the eyes of people who love him/know him well. Others have very different views. He greets Tyrion with a naked sword and snarling dire wolf, he kills ~ family, he leads battle from the front and intimidates his own uncle. At 15.

2 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

The mountain clans seems to like him very much, with the whole "save Ned's little girl" thing.

Nah, theyre just trying to convince themselves that selling their souls to R'hllor was in their best interest. If they truly liked Ned very much they would have fought with Robb or asked to be a team to send in to KL and "save Ned's little girl"

I think it would have done the story some justice for Robb to weigh this option though. We don't have his POV so it's possible he considered it. It would have fit in nicely if he had spoke about it a little, with Cat maybe, even if in the end he decided against it. 

He didn't think of because at the end of day he didn't see her as valuable enough (example: his refusal to trade Jaime for Sansa). It's even more disturbing that the only time Robb felt regret for not doing it because she could have been useful to him in a marriage alliance. The harsh reality is that even in the eyes of some family members Sansa is an expedient political pawn. 

1 hour ago, Elegant Woes said:

He didn't think of because at the end of day he didn't see her as valuable enough (example: his refusal to trade Jaime for Sansa). It's even more disturbing that the only time Robb felt regret for not doing it because she could have been useful to him in a marriage alliance. The harsh reality is that even in the eyes of some family members Sansa is an expedient political pawn. 

War and Kingship can do that to you.

13 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

:agree:

Cheers. 

A couple further points.

1) re: Robb and being more Tully, I think you can easily argue that Cat is more ruthless and morally ambiguous than Ned, so in this case being more Tully doesn’t even really further the argument that he’s less able rule the way Stark’s have often ruled. Now, caveat, imo Cat’s whole misguided ‘knights of summer’ take on Renly’s army shows she has adopted a Northern attitude anyways, so it’s all a bit moot, but still.

2) Another extremely valid argument against this kind of commando operation would be that it would seriously endanger Sansa. At the very least it could lead to her being actually imprisoned rather than under~ house arrest. The one defense she has for not being held complicit in Ned/Robb’s ‘treason’ would be her non involvement and in fact cooperation in stopping Ned’s ‘coup’. If it is discovered that she was in any way part of an attempted escape...probably involving killings...that thin defense is gone. When balanced against the very low probability of success, it would seem to be a very reckless venture.

Retrieving Sansa would not be all that easy.  While getting into Kings Landing would be quite easy, the Red Keep would be another matter.  Access to it is tightly controlled.  Even if a team got in, it would have to locate Sansa, get her alone, and then sneak her out of the (heavily guarded) Red Keep.  Not to mention getting her out of the city and the Crownlands, probably with a search underway.  Oh, and some of the men you send will have to be men she knows, or she is likely to refuse to go with them.  And  unlike Arya, she didn't hang out with the armsmen, so there might not be very many of these.

All very risky, so from Robb's point of view, it is probably better to win on the battlefield, and then demand her return as part of a peace settlement.

On 10/19/2019 at 8:48 AM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I think it would have done the story some justice for Robb to weigh this option though. We don't have his POV so it's possible he considered it. It would have fit in nicely if he had spoke about it a little, with Cat maybe, even if in the end he decided against it. 

It doesn't even seem like he considered trying to sneak her out.

I think I got the idea of sending a squad to retrieve Sansa, infiltrating the city and trying to escape from war movies like Saving Private Ryan (a squad being sent behind enemy lines to retrieve a single person) and heist movies like Ronin starring Robert De Niro, which has a group of mercenaries trying to steal a case.

5 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

It doesn't even seem like he considered trying to sneak her out.

I think I got the idea of sending a squad to retrieve Sansa, infiltrating the city and trying to escape from war movies like Saving Private Ryan (a squad being sent behind enemy lines to retrieve a single person) and heist movies like Ronin starring Robert De Niro, which has a group of mercenaries trying to steal a case.

To do it right, so it could be successful, it would have required a lot of effort and in the end, she just wasn't that important to him. You can see that by his reaction to her being married to Tyrion, not once did he express concern for her well-being as a person. Maybe if he had the idea to marry her to Willas earlier, but if he didn't see a political gain in getting her back, he wouldn't have done it.

On 19. Oktober 2019 at 2:26 PM, 867-5309 said:

The Starks do not have a Barristan Selmy who can enter a castle and retrieve his king.  Besides, Sansa and Arya are nowhere near as valuable as King Aerys was.  They were just children of a noble who is in rebellion. 

Well, he could have gotten them back, because... i dunno... there are his sister? and their father declared himself a traitor to save them? Bobby did lead a whole war after all just to get Lyanna back and everyone followed him, so somehow that was justified? 

On 10/19/2019 at 8:26 AM, 867-5309 said:

The Starks do not have a Barristan Selmy who can enter a castle and retrieve his king.  Besides, Sansa and Arya are nowhere near as valuable as King Aerys was.  They were just children of a noble who is in rebellion. 

Plus the Starks do not have enough funds to hire skilled agents to do this type of job. 

8 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

He needed a friend on the inside, like a King’s Landing version of Mance Rayder, a handful of spearwives, and a Reek. I also agree that she just wasn’t his priority, but she should have been for multiple reasons. But I’m glad Sansa wasn’t rescued because it makes her story much less tropey.

I agree with this. I just think it would have done the story a little justice for Robb to consider it & maybe explain why it wouldn't work. I get he is the KitN & has to look at the greater good but he was fairly close to his siblings so I would think rescuing them would at least cross his mind. 

Archived