What should Robert had done with Reach

Mrstrategy

Interesting.

From what we are told of Robert, he thought he was the hero and had Ned and Jon Arryn in his here.  So what he did works from that perspective.  As far as we know, Tywin Lannister didn't object either

Now, if I were going to go full ruthless, I'd tell all the peasant levies and second sons from the North, Vale, Stormlands and Riverlands that there's land and plunder in the Reach.  I might see if I could get Manderly financing.

Even if my armies couldn't take the Reach, I'd leave them crippled for a generation.

13 hours ago, Mrstrategy said:

What should Robert had done to the Reach at the end of of Robert rebellion instead of just letting them walk away with no punishment ?

When the Reach backed Renly, they blockaded the roads into King's Landing, which meant the city couldn’t get any food. Prices skyrocketed, unrest grew, and people turned against the crown. Why in the world would Robert/Jon Arryn want to punish the Reach after the lords swore fealty? 

13 hours ago, Mrstrategy said:

What should Robert had done to the Reach at the end of of Robert rebellion instead of just letting them walk away with no punishment ?

Robert had not conquered the Reach, the Reach army was still a huge obstacle to him, as well as possibly the Dornish and the escaped Targaryens.

It is not in his best interests to wage a war against the Reach by demanding major concessions. They surrendered when it was not in their best interests to fight, but if Robert starts demanding lands that is a whole other story. Even 15 years later Robert's position as King is vulnerable

"There are still those in the Seven Kingdoms who call me Usurper. Do you forget how many houses fought for Targaryen in the war? They bide their time for now, but give them half a chance, they will murder me in my bed, and my sons with me. If the beggar king crosses with a Dothraki horde at his back, the traitors will join him."

It would be idiotic Robert's severely depleted forces starting a new war.

6 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

Robert had not conquered the Reach, the Reach army was still a huge obstacle to him, as well as possibly the Dornish and the escaped Targaryens.

It is not in his best interests to wage a war against the Reach by demanding major concessions. They surrendered when it was not in their best interests to fight, but if Robert starts demanding lands that is a whole other story. Even 15 years later Robert's position as King is vulnerable

"There are still those in the Seven Kingdoms who call me Usurper. Do you forget how many houses fought for Targaryen in the war? They bide their time for now, but give them half a chance, they will murder me in my bed, and my sons with me. If the beggar king crosses with a Dothraki horde at his back, the traitors will join him."

It would be idiotic Robert's severely depleted forces starting a new war.

Is it tho?? Or is just Robert being paranoid?? The idea that the Westerosi would just join a Dothraki borde tp fight for a King they haven't care about for 15 years is odd and  more when you think that Robert would have the support of 5 Kingdoms and Loras is Renly's close companion, But then again, even Aegon 1 was rather paranoid  with his better forestall  rebellions than quell them.

On 10/19/2019 at 8:07 AM, frenin said:

What Robert did was just fine, a war with the Reach only would be pointless and  would fill  the Reach with nostalgics, Robert had to win them over not attaint or killing them.

Agreed. In hindsight, it would have been smarter to marry Stannis to the Hightowers if possible. Also, perhaps set up a betrothal for Renly to another rival there.

Archived