What now?

Malkorion

I haven't been on this forum for quite some time.

I am a fan of the novel series. The only thing that I haven't read yet are the World of Ice and Fire and Fire and Blood. 

However, as time went on, I became aware of the writer's age and the possibility that we may never get a finished product. I am somewhat invested in the books as I have analyzed parts of it. But now it just feels like a waste of time.

I know about the Wheel of Time series, and I hoped that there could be a chance that somebody else might finish the books. 

What do you think will happen?

I think the (reportedly) crappy finish of the tv series will motivate him to finish. He does not want that to be the last word of the characters he has worked so hard to bring to life.

George underscored his desire to finish strong in this recent interview. Not a lot of new material in this (except I hadn't heard about his experience with a Chicago-area snowstorm as an inspiration for The Wall) but nice to hear him in seemingly good spirits.

20 hours ago, 867-5309 said:

GRRM is very possessive of his story.  I can see him choosing to let the story go unfinished rather than allowing another writer to finish the series from his notes. 

There are 2 things.

-1 Writing in the universe, the future of ASoIaF stories. This he doesn't want. But he can't control either.

Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin rules out sharing Westeros

“I don't think my wife, if she survives me, will allow that either. But one thing that history has shown us is eventually these literary rights pass to grandchildren or collateral descendents, or people who didn't actually know the writer and don't care about his wishes. It's just a cash cow to them.

And there we could separate "writing new stories" from finishing from notes what is unfinished.

-2 Publishing what is unfinished. With notes and everything.

Not A Blog, Oct. 22nd, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Someday I will die, and I hope you're right and it's thirty years from now. When that happens, maybe my heirs will decide to publish a book of fragments and deleted chapters, and you'll all get to read about Tyrion's meeting with the Shrouded Lord. It's a swell, spooky, evocative chapter, but you won't read it in DANCE. It took me down a road I decided I did not want to travel, so I went back and ripped it out. So, unless I change my mind again, it's going the way of the draft of LORD OF THE RINGS where Tolkien has Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin reach the Prancing Pony and meet... a weatherbeaten old hobbit ranger named "Trotter."

And that's about as much as I'm going to say on this subject. Which is probably too much. I guarantee you, I will now get a bunch of letters from those who want to read this deleted chapter. (No. Thank you, but no).

I'm working on it.

It will be done when it's done. When it is, I'll let you know.

17 hours ago, Seams said:

I think the (reportedly) crappy finish of the tv series will motivate him to finish.

I thought that too. But he seems to want to write another Dunk & Egg, and maybe finish Fire & Blood before starting ADoS. So I'm not sure he so much wants to erase the bad taste of D&D GoT.

This on-going discussion about GRRM not being able to finish his work has always seemed a bit awkward to me. I don't know if it's because in my country we don't have this ''tradition'' or ''thing'' going on about ''what if this X or Y author suddenly dies'', so I can't quite fathom this whole topic that has been going on for years. Before I started reading news, forums and the such, it never occurred to me that the author might die and leave his work unfinished. If it happens, it happens. I too might die tomorrow. And if I was GRRM, I'd feel uncomfortable seeing how this whole thing is a neverending topic. I don't think it's very polite. His pace is slow, yes, but what he delivers can't be compared to what other authors do. Having an academical background, I, for the life of me, can't comprehend how someone can write a high fantasy book in a year, or two, or even three. My master's thesis drained me and I only had some months. Imagine having a world like ASoIaF in your hands... Must be like having 200 games of Risk constantly playing on your head. Being a high fantasy writer in the level that GRRM is requires extreme mental endurance, and that kind of endurance is very demanding and needs resting, and planning, and doing other things to oxygen your brain. I don't intend to sound like a fangirl (which I totally am, like all of us), but I haven't seen this level of world-building in a work of literature before... I honestly don't know how he does it. All we have to do is wait, really.

I'm positive we will have news of The Winds of Winter in 2020, I'd bet around Spring. My bet is that he's probably done with the draft already. I'd like to be on the theory wagon that believes he's written TWoW and ADoS at the same time... But I don't think that's humanly possible.

1 hour ago, iberiandirewolf said:

This on-going discussion about GRRM not being able to finish his work has always seemed a bit awkward to me. I don't know if it's because in my country we don't have this ''tradition'' or ''thing'' going on about ''what if this X or Y author suddenly dies'', so I can't quite fathom this whole topic that has been going on for years. Before I started reading news, forums and the such, it never occurred to me that the author might die and leave his work unfinished. If it happens, it happens. I too might die tomorrow. And if I was GRRM, I'd feel uncomfortable seeing how this whole thing is a neverending topic. I don't think it's very polite. His pace is slow, yes, but what he delivers can't be compared to what other authors do. Having an academical background, I, for the life of me, can't comprehend how someone can write a high fantasy book in a year, or two, or even three. My master's thesis drained me and I only had some months. Imagine having a world like ASoIaF in your hands... Must be like having 200 games of Risk constantly playing on your head. Being a high fantasy writer in the level that GRRM is requires extreme mental endurance, and that kind of endurance is very demanding and needs resting, and planning, and doing other things to oxygen your brain. I don't intend to sound like a fangirl (which I totally am, like all of us), but I haven't seen this level of world-building in a work of literature before... I honestly don't know how he does it. All we have to do is wait, really.

:agree:And we also cant forget, he's a gardener. What that means is he has to write to figure out the story- that takes a lot of time. 

5 hours ago, frenin said:

I'm more excited about FaB2 than anything, If Martin  told me what the hell happened after the dragons died i'd feel no regrets.

F&B is just "The Reign of the Dragons" and "The Targaryen Kings", from "The World of Ice & Fire". In a longer form. There is little new to learn.

12 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

F&B is just "The Reign of the Dragons" and "The Targaryen Kings", from "The World of Ice & Fire". In a longer form. There is little new to learn.

Yeah, that's why I want to know what the hell happened in Maekar's reign and  the Conquest, the Robellion and  the Black Dragon, what did Egg to eran such animosity when he was Prince, what happened in Summerhall, i want to know what happened when the dragons died and  we have little  to no info about that, i want it more than AdoS and  WoW.

Archived