A tactical analysis of The Long Night and improvements

Angel Eyes

So I went looking at how the defenses for Winterfell should have been improved here and I mostly agree with the points displayed in the video:

1. Deny the Army of the Dead battle for as long as possible
  2. Use recon; Nobody thinks to use recon
  3. Multiple redundant systems. Unmanned trenches, a large gap between the trenches for the Dothraki to pick off wights (they should have been taking out wights on horseback with their bows)

Thoughts?

Not putting trebuchets at the front of the army would be a good start.

My main issue is with the Night King's tactics, rather than Team Winterfell's tactics.  Considering D+D's boring and lame decision to make the undead's existence tied to the Night King, Team Winterfell building their entire battle plan around luring out and killing the Night King makes sense; but the Night King actually allowing that to happen doesn't.

Their explanation is that he just really wanted to kill Bran and really wanted to do it in person, for some reason.

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

My main issue is with the Night King's tactics, rather than Team Winterfell's tactics.  Considering D+D's boring and lame decision to make the undead's existence tied to the Night King, Team Winterfell building their entire battle plan around luring out and killing the Night King makes sense; but the Night King actually allowing that to happen doesn't.

Their explanation is that he just really wanted to kill Bran and really wanted to do it in person, for some reason.

He could have killed Bran by lining up a shot with an ice spear and throwing; he took out Viserion at 1,000 meters.

11 hours ago, Darryk said:

I dunno, putting the civilians in the crypts where there was plenty of material for the Night King to work with. Like locking Macgyver in the store cupboard.

• 2 months later...

Guess it comes down to two big fails.

1) Why was Team Winterfell outside the walls at all? You defeat the purpose of a fortification, if you stand out in front of it. You can't argue there wasn't enough room. There was tons of empty space on that wall and in the courtyard.

2) Why was the Night King anywhere near that battle? If a lucky blow destroys your entire army, why would you put yourself in a position for that to happen ever? Just send your army in waves, stay WAY back and watch. Get close enough to resurrect at need. Repeat until you win, there is no urgency whatsoever for the night king to win that night.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 1:45 PM, Lord Lannister said:

Guess it comes down to two big fails.

1) Why was Team Winterfell outside the walls at all? You defeat the purpose of a fortification, if you stand out in front of it. You can't argue there wasn't enough room. There was tons of empty space on that wall and in the courtyard.

2) Why was the Night King anywhere near that battle? If a lucky blow destroys your entire army, why would you put yourself in a position for that to happen ever? Just send your army in waves, stay WAY back and watch. Get close enough to resurrect at need. Repeat until you win, there is no urgency whatsoever for the night king to win that night.

Don't forget putting the civilian population in the crypts.

Archived