Why did the Freys torture Cat before her death, but not Robb?

Nagini's Neville

Just now, Hugorfonics said:

To be unable to rest in peace, taking her grief past the grave

Given Cat's character I think she'd take that over seeing Robb killed like that any day of the week and twice on Sundays. 

3 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

To be unable to rest in peace, taking her grief past the grave

That is her choice.  She can choose to die quietly.  But no.  She is locked into revenge mode.  Cat, Arya, and Jon will be locked into revenge mode which will turn them into something grotesque. 

23 hours ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

Grey Wind was not exactly nice to the Freys.  Robb should have left him somewhere 

Grey Wind, like the other direwolves, sensed what was to come and snapped at the Frey knocking him off his horse. Instead of Rob leaving Grey Wind behind, Rob could have done a better job recognizing the warning his wolf provided him.  Rob, like Jon, should have known not lock their wolves away.

But, we don't have Rob POVs so we will never know what Rob was thinking. 

2 hours ago, 867-5309 said:

That is her choice.  She can choose to die quietly.  But no.  She is locked into revenge mode.  Cat, Arya, and Jon will be locked into revenge mode which will turn them into something grotesque. 

hm, which characters exactly do you like anyway? I'm trying to figure it out. Let me guess. Dany? Maybe Tyrion? Seems you're not so fond of the Starks

3 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

hm, which characters exactly do you like anyway? I'm trying to figure it out. Let me guess. Dany? Maybe Tyrion? Seems you're not so fond of the Starks

Lots of Stark haters in these forums.
Because many of the asoiaf/tv show fans love the Starks. They tend to come here and complain about everything that involves a stark, since the outside world will shut them down for talking bad about their precious Starks.

29 minutes ago, The Young Maester said:

Because many of the asoiaf/tv show fans love the Starks. They tend to come here and complain about everything that involves a stark, since the outside world will shut them down for talking bad about their precious Starks.

No wonder this forum is dying. People like yourself policing others on their opinions and constantly shutting down any conversation by claiming someone is a hater or fanboy and invalidating their opinion.

This is not a politics forum, this constant need for some to act like it and only refer to people by the characters they think the person likes or dislikes is tiresome.

14 minutes ago, Bernie Mac said:

No wonder this forum is dying. People like yourself policing others on their opinions and constantly shutting down any conversation by claiming someone is a hater or fanboy and invalidating their opinion.

This is not a politics forum, this constant need for some to act like it and only refer to people by the characters they think the person likes or dislikes is tiresome.

Haven’t shut anyone down really. You are the only one I have actually called out. And that’s because it involved a very tiresome discussion in a thread I can’t remember now.

People will have characters they love whilst also they’d have characters they hate. And when a thread involves that said character, they’d either defend them to the last word without acknowledging the true fact or they’ll antagonise that character as if he is Satan himself. But sometimes it gets out of hand in a way that I read it and it just doesn’t make sense. It’s like some sort of crusade against them in which common sense has been thrown out and in its place you have an inn brawler.

Forums dying because George ain’t typing. 

There's lots of haters who just... hate. They're never ever able to provide quotes to back up their claims, and still they hate on. 

As far as I'm concerned it's silly but fine. They can keep  their hate and unfounded "ideas" going. For now anyways. Once TWoW is published it's all gonna change, and this crew is gonna have to publicly swallow their words or drop off the face of the earth. I'm good either way.

Oh, and how is the forum dying? Really... :D

On 10/21/2019 at 6:04 PM, 867-5309 said:

Can she though? The Beric we saw through Arya never had a choice, Thoros made the choice for him, again and again. Then Beric made the decision for Cat. From Thoros’s account, it seems likely Beric thought he could resurrect her without repercussions, as opposed to willingly sacrificing himself for Cat - after all, Thoros resurrected Beric and continued on. Once they’re resurrected, neither Beric nor Cat seem to have the same levels of autonomy and control over their actions.

Undead Beric continues the mission Living Beric was given - to restore the King’s peace to the Riverlands, even after the King is dead, after the Hand who gave him the mission is dead, and after the Riverlands seceded. Living Cat’s last rational thoughts were her attempts to save Robb by sparing Jinglebell, as her mind shatters after his death, she murders Jinglebell, and then as Lady Stoneheart, Undead Cat continues this mission, killing Freys and Lannister supporters. 

On 10/21/2019 at 8:17 PM, the Other Wolf said:

But, we don't have Rob POVs so we will never know what Rob was thinking. 

Robb lost his faith in the direwolfs, after "Bran and Rickon's death".

Your father’s gods, the old gods of the north. Five wolf pups, Robb, five for five Stark children.” “

Six,” said Robb. “There was a wolf for Jon as well. I found them, remember? I know how many there were and where they came from. I used to think the same as you, that the wolves were our guardians, our protectors, until . . . ”

“Until?” she prompted. Robb’s mouth tightened. “

. . . Until they told me that Theon had murdered Bran and Rickon.

12 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

Robb lost his faith in the direwolfs, after "Bran and Rickon's death".

Just found out the forum is dying. :crying:

I took the passage you listed as meaning Robb no longer thought having the direwolves meant something special. 

I just meant we do not know what Robb thought about any wolf dreams he had or any feelings of the beginnings of warging with Grey Wind or his thinking about the Frey getting knocked off his horse in the moment these things are happening.

:cheers:

On 10/21/2019 at 9:26 PM, The Young Maester said:

I'm one of them. 

I never cared for the show and cancelled my subscription.  I don't think the two are related storywise.  I never cared for the Starks since my reading of the books.  It has nothing to do with the show. 

I say, on the contrary. The Freys put her out of her misery, when they saw, that she had gone mad and started hurting herself. So they effectively ended the torture, she was inflicting on herself. She had already killed her hostage, and at that point, did not pose any kind of threat. They could have thrown her into a dark cell and leave her there for years, while she slowly succumbs to her phisical and mental injuries. Now, that would have been torture. I think, in a sense the Freys were merciful towards her with the immediate and quick slashing of her throat.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 9:58 PM, Bernie Mac said:

Have no fear Mister Mac.  :D I don't think anybody will drive anybody away.  We're all tough.  The forum will go through slow periods because it has been a fair amount of time since the last book.  The morsels released in between can keep the enthusiasm up for some.  They are not enough for others. 

On 10/24/2019 at 4:58 AM, szbszig said:

I say, on the contrary. The Freys put her out of her misery, when they saw, that she had gone mad and started hurting herself. So they effectively ended the torture, she was inflicting on herself. She had already killed her hostage, and at that point, did not pose any kind of threat. They could have thrown her into a dark cell and leave her there for years, while she slowly succumbs to her phisical and mental injuries. Now, that would have been torture. I think, in a sense the Freys were merciful towards her with the immediate and quick slashing of her throat.

It was an incidental favor.  They killed her because she murdered the disabled boy. 

Archived