US Politics: A Mickey Mouse Operation

DMC

11 minutes ago, Week said:

Why wouldn't this be considered criminal? Is it alarmist/stupid to suggest this could have (or could be) an attempt at unmasking the whistleblower or would that briefing take place elsewhere for their protection?

They were deposing a Pentagon official, but yeah, they did bring in their cell phones which is fucked up:

The gambit—cooked up by the pro-Trump brawler Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and endorsed by House GOP leadership—derailed the closed-door deposition of Laura Cooper, a Pentagon official with jurisdiction over Ukraine policy, before it even started. And it left Democrats indignant that their colleagues had violated long standing rules about interviewing witnesses in classified settings.

Cell phones, for example, are not allowed in Sensitive Compartmented Information Facilities (also known as SCIFs). But the Republican members who barged into those facilities had taken their phones with them inside the room. Lawmakers and aides said that, as of noon on Wednesday, the SCIF was being swept for electronic surveillance devices because the Republicans brought in their phones, delaying the start of Cooper’s deposition. Democrats were also contemplating whether to bring in the U.S. Capitol Police in order to drag out the protesting members. 

Raw Story and Bloomberg report that bedbug knew They were planning to do this.  It was discussed beforehand at a 2 hour meeting with him and Themselves including McConnell.

If the committee members don't have the balls to get these lawbreakers ejected, they should just pick up and move the proceedings to another location. Undisclosed, of course.

The Dems are just gonna do nothing and cry about this. Meanwhile the Repubs are crowing left and right about how great they are for this, and guess what they get their message out. The majority of the people in this country eat that up. So unless I see something that drastically shifts opinion against the right this is a huge victory for them. They should have been arrested the moment they burst in, that might've saved the Dems. Now instead we are gonna be hearing about this stupid fucking stunt as the time Repubs saved the republic for the rest of history. 

20 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

The Dems are just gonna do nothing and cry about this. Meanwhile the Repubs are crowing left and right about how great they are for this, and guess what they get their message out. The majority of the people in this country eat that up. So unless I see something that drastically shifts opinion against the right this is a huge victory for them. They should have been arrested the moment they burst in, that might've saved the Dems. Now instead we are gonna be hearing about this stupid fucking stunt as the time Repubs saved the republic for the rest of history. 

How can anyone think that a stunt which last five hours, and which did not stop the impeachment inquiry since the deposition that was scheduled for today is now being taken, is going to end up being this big a deal? 

I agree with DMC in post #102 above -- this will end up being mocked by comedians all over the place and will be forgotten within a couple of weeks at the most. If the Democrats had responded by having them forcibly removed instead of waiting until the idiots left by themselves, that would have made them martyrs in the eyes of Trump's supporters and would have much more likely to lead to the outcome you fear. 

2 minutes ago, Ormond said:

How can anyone think that a stunt which last five hours, and which did not stop the impeachment inquiry since the deposition that was scheduled for today is now being taken, is going to end up being this big a deal? 

I agree with DMC in post #102 above -- this will end up being mocked by comedians all over the place and will be forgotten within a couple of weeks at the most. If the Democrats had responded by having them forcibly removed instead of waiting until the idiots left by themselves, that would have made them martyrs in the eyes of Trump's supporters and would have much more likely to lead to the outcome you fear. 

Ormond, I could be wrong and I hope I am. However, it's just as likely this emboldens Repubs and they continue to pull stunts like this. Sadly most of my extended family are big MAGA heads. They are ecstatic by what happened today, and see it as the Republicans finally growing spines and standing up to the Dems. The message the average American is gonna see is that Repubs heroically stood up to the Dems today. It's why we still see talk about Hillary Clinton's emails to this day. 

33 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I think I have to agree. Arrest them now, even for the things they should be legitimately arrested for, and you feed the disinformation campaign about the corrupt Democrat kangaroo court doing everything in secrecy because they’re just out to get Trump.

Fox and the right wing media sphere will run with that anyway, because that’s what they do, but they won’t have sound bites or juicy footage of Evulz Democrats sending decent, honest Republicans away in chains for interrupting their nefarious schemes.

Then in a week or two, strip every one of those republicans of clearances or various privileges and/or committee seats if possible.

Oh, and make a note of every one of these Reps and target all of them that are even slightly vulnerable in the election.

One suspects that among the many reasons for Rudy's disappearance is his refusal to comply with the supoenas in connection with Ukraine documents.  Did so officially on Oct. 15.  And that's the last we've heard of him.

25 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I think I have to agree. Arrest them now, even for the things they should be legitimately arrested for, and you feed the disinformation campaign about the corrupt Democrat kangaroo court doing everything in secrecy because they’re just out to get Trump.

Fox and the right wing media sphere will run with that anyway, because that’s what they do, but they won’t have sound bites or juicy footage of Evulz Democrats sending decent, honest Republicans away in chains for interrupting their nefarious schemes.

Then in a week or two, strip every one of those republicans of clearances or various privileges and/or committee seats if possible.

Oh, and make a note of every one of these Reps and target all of them that are even slightly vulnerable in the election.

That's all great to think about, but it will never happen. The Dems might file a couple ethics complaints, and will do nothing else.

House Dems can't control who gets arrested or not so blaming the Dems for not having the GOP members arrested is stupid. The Sergeant at Arms was there and trying to moderate things. In addition, there was this.

All that being said, this is a circus and Trump tweeting out all day about Never Trump Republicans is because McConnell is having an issue controlling all his guys. This was a stunt and I have a hard time seeing how it moves the needle at all. When you can't dispute what the Taylor said, trash him and his lawyer (good luck) and rail against the process (good luck given their own Benghazi report said private interviews were better for investigating).

Archived