US Politics: A Mickey Mouse Operation

DMC

31 minutes ago, argonak said:

There was that one time where McCain defended Obama in front of his own followers.  That one always stuck out on me.  I think a lot of GOP folks start out with good intentions, but the toxic beliefs that they have to subscribe to simply pull them downwards into a spiral of hate and rage.  When you believe that lower taxes = prosperity, but the lower taxes don't bring it, you  have to assume you didn't lower them enough.  When you believe guns will lower crime, but they don't, you have to bleieve there just aren't enough guns.  And so on and on.  When your positions are based on beliefs, rather than logical determinations, its very difficult to realize that you're wrong.

As a former republican, it wasn't easy breaking out of that brainwashed mindset.  Everything they have is designed to feed back and strength the foundation beliefs, because the leadership knows that keeps people locked into the cult.  All you have to do is find the one issue people care most about, and you'll keep them in the tent. 

That's how I see it anyway.

Do you remember why dingbats claiming Obama was a foreign born Muslim infiltrator were becoming common at McCain rallies? It might have had something to do with the "not a real American" and "palling around with terrorists" rhetoric that McCain's running mate was gleefully spewing.

He did the bare minimum in a moment when confronted with the fruit of his own campaign's reckless bullshit. And he did less than nothing to rein in Palin or the other sleazemongers he'd empowered, because he knew even then that the aggressively stupid and xenophobic dingbat contingent was going to be a key element he'd have to get in bed with to continue his career in politics.

Fuck John McCain.

48 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Maybe they spaced out the different segments, but that wasn’t the only they had. They also an interview with a Democratic Representative who was on the committees taking depositions, and two different segments talking to NPR reporters with a “How are people from the parties reacting behind closed doors” kind of thing.

Plus the host did a fair amount of pushback and questioning of both interviewees. Not perfect, by any means, but I wouldn’t count it as rolling over for Republicans, and it’s probably about as good as can be hoped for these days.

These interactions are inherently problematic. Journalist need access to these people, and they know they’ll lose it if they push back too hard. It sucks, but it’s the nature of the relationship.  

1 hour ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Maybe they spaced out the different segments, but that wasn’t the only they had. They also an interview with a Democratic Representative who was on the committees taking depositions, and two different segments talking to NPR reporters with a “How are people from the parties reacting behind closed doors” kind of thing.

Plus the host did a fair amount of pushback and questioning of both interviewees. Not perfect, by any means, but I wouldn’t count it as rolling over for Republicans, and it’s probably about as good as can be hoped for these days.

This was the program's lead.  The program's shout - call lines (before the broadcast, as a preview of what we're giving you) only quotes from the rethugs, with "Soviet Union" witch hunt, unfair, illegitimate, etc.

In the segment itself, the 'so-called' pushback was so mild and sweet -- and didn't arrive until the very end.  And he got all the last words, condescending ones  and tone too, calling her "You see, Mary Louise...." while she called him senator all the way through.

The dissenting voices were all so polite and never showed up until the last hour.  They weren't given any shout lines either.

If you think that's fair and unbiased, I have bridges for sale.  Public radio's complicit enabling all these years for the rethugs is just shameful.

45 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Do you remember why dingbats claiming Obama was a foreign born Muslim infiltrator were becoming common at McCain rallies? It might have had something to do with the "not a real American" and "palling around with terrorists" rhetoric that McCain's running mate was gleefully spewing.

He did the bare minimum in a moment when confronted with the fruit of his own campaign's reckless bullshit. And he did less than nothing to rein in Palin or the other sleazemongers he'd empowered, because he knew even then that the aggressively stupid and xenophobic dingbat contingent was going to be a key element he'd have to get in bed with to continue his career in politics.

Fuck John McCain.

I don't disagree with your general thought, but it was one time a republican stood up for what was right that stood out for me.  That campaign was one of the turning points for my own de-conversion.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

This was the program's lead.  The program's shout - call lines (before the broadcast, as a preview of what we're giving you) only quotes from the rethugs, with "Soviet Union" witch hunt, unfair, illegitimate, etc.

In the segment itself, the 'so-called' pushback was so mild and sweet -- and didn't arrive until the very end.  And he got all the last words, condescending ones  and tone too, calling her "You see, Mary Louise...." while she called him senator all the way through.

The dissenting voices were all so polite and never showed up until the last hour.  They weren't given any shout lines either.

If you think that's fair and unbiased, I have bridges for sale.  Public radio's complicit enabling all these years for the rethugs is just shameful.

That's what I so often find frustrating.  The Republicans have learned that if you just stand on a soapbox and scream lies loud enough, media will queue up to listen, and a proportion of the people will fall for your lines because you sound like you believe it.  Meanwhile so many democrats rely on actually trying to convince people of their point, and wonder why they're getting ignored. 

one time a republican stood up for what was right

mccain's campaign also declined to use birther conspiracism, even if his VP re-upped it.  the weirdness is that birtherism may have got its start in the primary among HRC supporters along with fringe rightwing sites.  eventually numbnuts berg filed his lawsuit--he also filed a truther lawsuit, so there's that.  but regardless of the origin, the racist conspiracy theory was parroted by all of the proto-fascist political media entertainers; it seems to be an impermeable article of faith among the trump voters with whom i am acquainted personally.

3 hours ago, sologdin said:

no faith in the GOP anymore

am trying to recall a time in the last thirty years that they have not been assholes, every single one.

Murkowski voted against Kavanaugh; even after Collins and Flake voted in favor and it was clear her vote didn't matter anymore. It was a principled vote that the Alaska GOP still gives her shit for. Between that and voting down the ACA repeal bill; I'll still give her a bit of credit.

She's terrible on the environment and a host of other issues, but I don't think she's an asshole the way every other Republican senator has been.

36 minutes ago, Zorral said:

If you think that's fair and unbiased, I have bridges for sale.

I don’t. I just think it’s better than we get virtually anywhere else that isn’t explicitly left leaning, and was made to look worse than it was in your original post.

37 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I don’t. I just think it’s better than we get virtually anywhere else that isn’t explicitly left leaning, and was made to look worse than it was in your original post.

My opinion doesn't coincide with yours, particularly with as many people I know who have worked in public radio over the years, and all the years of listening to it.  I recall so well back in the days of the invasion of Iraq and all the horrors and crimes that followed, abroad and here and politically, with mission accomplished, the only person in all media across the board, whether print or radio or tv who had the guts to stand up and call things as they were was Garrison Keillor on Prairie Home Companion.  The only one.  Late night tv comedy was just getting started, and they and Garrison Keillor were the only ones.

Yet with all this public radio has the sheer gall to keep begging us the listeners for money -- and to leave them our money in our wills -- because "we are unbiased, fair and never cater to any advertisor -- as they hawk advertisers in the next breath.  They are despicable.

Elizabeth Warren’s Most Anticipated Plan Of All Has Arrived
Warren’s plan to pay for “Medicare for All” would fund health care without raising taxes on the middle class. It didn’t satisfy her 2020 Democratic rivals.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/elizabeth-warren-medicare-for-all-plan_n_5dbc2699e4b09d8f9799c3cf

The 9,000-word, 21-page plan is sprawling ― including everything from an expansion of Warren’s signature wealth tax to incentives for unionization to a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants ― and contains aggressive measures to contain the spiraling cost of health care almost certain to generate opposition from doctors, drugmakers and hospitals. It would be funded using heavy tax increases on the wealthy and a new per-employee tax meant to replace what business previously spent on health insurance.

2 hours ago, argonak said:

That's what I so often find frustrating.  The Republicans have learned that if you just stand on a soapbox and scream lies loud enough, media will queue up to listen, and a proportion of the people will fall for your lines because you sound like you believe it.  Meanwhile so many democrats rely on actually trying to convince people of their point, and wonder why they're getting ignored. 

I'm sure many have seen this video, but it summarizes the above point fairly well:  

Also this which goes before it:

The Rethugs learned by the time of Reagan that politics as entertainment presented across the entertainment / media platforms with a very strong constantly dependable buncha platforms echoing the party line is The Way.  Despite the Dems's so vaunted coup of Kennedy's image on tv vs that of anxious, loutish, SWEATING Nixon, they still haven't learned that.  And nobody understands it, nobody LOVES it as much as the rapist bedbug.

To have my money that goes to public radio because they say they're on my side, while they have without pause toadied to the rethugs ever since Reagan, is infuriating.  I saw them go that way immediately as Reagan's minions made threats against public broadcasting funding.  They've gotten consistently more so ever since.

We can't win this catastrophe and series of catastrophe without our own media allies.  NPR is not an ally.

Public radio isn't even loyal to its own listeners, only considering the very middle of the road - to quite right of the middle listener -- because Funding.

BTW -- the BBC reports Facebook, Amazon and google all have apps by which in the middle east slaves can be bought and sold.  Mostly from Africa.  You really think the Big $zuck is going to back off supporting anyone with ads and money who isn't Warren, Sanders, etc.?

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-50240012/maids-for-sale-how-silicon-valley-enables-online-slave-markets

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-50266663

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-50240012/maids-for-sale-how-silicon-valley-enables-online-slave-markets

By the way this one on Youtube begins with an ad for a media platform in support of Trump and attacking Hillary for all her corruption.

Beto O’Rourke Drops Out of 2020 Race, Will Not Run for Senate
“My service to the country will not be as a candidate or as the nominee.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/beto-orourke-drops-out-of-2020-presidential-race-will-not-run-for-senate?ref=home

Former Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-TX) on Friday announced that he will end his 2020 presidential campaign.

“Our campaign has always been about seeing clearly, speaking honestly, and acting decisively,” he wrote in a statement. “In that spirit: I am announcing that my service to the country will not be as a candidate or as the nominee.”

3 hours ago, argonak said:

I don't disagree with your general thought, but it was one time a republican stood up for what was right that stood out for me.  That campaign was one of the turning points for my own de-conversion.

Even then he did it poorly. He said Obama isn't an Arab, leaving open that being an Arab is still a bad thing. He should have said there's nothing wrong with being Arab, but no, Obama is not Arab.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

She's terrible on the environment and a host of other issues, but I don't think she's an asshole the way every other Republican senator has been.

Agreed. You can see it on her face how painful this is, unlike say Collins who always looks clueless as she prepares to self own herself.

I feel bad saying this, but I honestly have never understood why she's so hard to beat. She seems like she'd be so easy to campaign against.

I knew there was something I forgot to address.

On 10/28/2019 at 6:21 PM, DMC said:

Like I said, I think she could come back later.  Her district is pretty damn purple, and if it flips back to GOP next year, I think it's plausible she could run again and win in 2022.

'22 seems awfully optimistic. I agree she can hold office again, but she's probably going to have to climb up CA state politics to do so. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

'22 seems awfully optimistic. I agree she can hold office again, but she's probably going to have to climb up CA state politics to do so.

I agree 2022 is optimistic, I just don't think it's too optimistic, which is why I said plausible.  But no, she's definitely not going to have to "climb up" state politics whenever she decides to forge a comeback.  The combination of name ID and widespread sympathy (among Democrats and, weirdly, Matt Gaetz) will scare off any quality Democratic challenger if she wants her seat back - unless it's held by another Democratic of course, in which case I don't see her running an intraparty challenge in the jungle primary.

I think the timing of Beto's announcement has more to do with potentially failing to qualify for the next debate.  He has another month to decide on the Senate - the filing deadline is December 9.  I have no idea what Beto's thinking, but I think running again would be a very bad move for him, especially after tacking so far left the past couple months.  He should go away for a bit.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

I think the timing of Beto's announcement has more to do with potentially failing to qualify for the next debate.  He has another month to decide on the Senate - the filing deadline is December 9.  I have no idea what Beto's thinking, but I think running again would be a very bad move for him, especially after tacking so far left the past couple months.  He should go away for a bit.

Plus if he loses - even by a close margin - it would reignite those saying why are Dems excited about a loser. 

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

My opinion doesn't coincide with yours, particularly with as many people I know who have worked in public radio over the years, and all the years of listening to it.  I recall so well back in the days of the invasion of Iraq and all the horrors and crimes that followed, abroad and here and politically, with mission accomplished, the only person in all media across the board, whether print or radio or tv who had the guts to stand up and call things as they were was Garrison Keillor on Prairie Home Companion.  The only one.  Late night tv comedy was just getting started, and they and Garrison Keillor were the only ones.

Yet with all this public radio has the sheer gall to keep begging us the listeners for money -- and to leave them our money in our wills -- because "we are unbiased, fair and never cater to any advertisor -- as they hawk advertisers in the next breath.  They are despicable.

You are obviously very unaware of Amy Goodman if your making the claim "the only person in all media across the board....... ".

we are not surprised that they're cutting through the insipid border wall--trump accordingly needs to brush up on his rabelais:

O my friend, said Pantagruel, dost thou know what Agesilaus said when he was asked why the great city of Lacedaemon was not enclosed with walls? Lo here, said he, the walls of the city! in showing them the inhabitants and citizens thereof, so strong, so well armed, and so expert in military discipline; signifying thereby that there is no wall but of bones, and that towns and cities cannot have a surer wall nor better fortification than the prowess and virtue of the citizens and inhabitants. So is this city so strong, by the great number of warlike people that are in it, that they care not for making any other walls. Besides, whosoever would go about to wall it, as Strasbourg, Orleans, or Ferrara, would find it almost impossible, the cost and charges would be so excessive.

Yea but, said Panurge, it is good, nevertheless, to have an outside of stone when we are invaded by our enemies, were it but to ask, Who is below there? As for the enormous expense which you say would be needful for undertaking the great work of walling this city about, if the gentlemen of the town will be pleased to give me a good rough cup of wine, I will show them a pretty, strange, and new way, how they may build them good cheap.

How? said Pantagruel.

Do not speak of it then, answered Panurge, and I will tell it you. I see that the sine quo nons, kallibistris, or contrapunctums of the women of this country are better cheap than stones. Of them should the walls be built, ranging them in good symmetry by the rules of architecture, and placing the largest in the first ranks, then sloping downwards ridge-wise, like the back of an ass. The middle-sized ones must be ranked next, and last of all the least and smallest. This done, there must be a fine little interlacing of them, like points of diamonds, as is to be seen in the great tower of Bourges, with a like number of the nudinnudos, nilnisistandos, and stiff bracmards, that dwell in amongst the claustral codpieces. What devil were able to overthrow such walls? There is no metal like it to resist blows, in so far that, if culverin-shot should come to graze upon it, you would incontinently see distil from thence the blessed fruit of the great pox as small as rain. Beware, in the name of the devils, and hold off. Furthermore, no thunderbolt or lightning would fall upon it. For why? They are all either blest or consecrated. 

gargantua & pantagruel II.15.

Archived