Sign in to follow this  
DMC

US Politics: A Mickey Mouse Operation

BLACK BUSH HAS BECOME A REAL THING!!! WATCH OUT FOR THAT YELLOW CAKE. PLEASE LORD DON’T DROP IT!!!

Evidently the storm troopers kept asking the cops to arrest them and lead them away in hand cuffs.

~~~~~~~~

AOC invited voters to send in the question they would like to hear asked of the Dem 2020 election candidates.

I would ask them if they are now making plans and contacting people with extended knowledge and experience of the federal government, its agencies and functioning, for lists of qualified people to rebuild what has been and continues to be gutted over these last years.  The damage is so great, especially in the State Department, the Environmental Agency, the Judicial system, that every candidate has to start thinking about this now -- and be willing to confer with each other after the election -- and get to work even before inauguration to put things to rights.

~~~~~~~~

AOC's questioning of the Big $ucker was so to the point, and he was not looking so good, still pretending 1) he didn't really know anything about Cambridge Analytica and what was going on with that, or with the Russians; 2) that it didn't matter; 3) hasn't really done anything to fix the conditions that allow this.

BTW zuckerberg is giving Buttigieg a whole lot of support in many ways, from ads on FB to donations.  Suddenly Buttigieg's ranking among the candidates moved way up.  Coincidence?

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Evidently the storm troopers kept asking the cops to arrest them and lead them away in hand cuffs.

~~~~~~~~

AOC invited voters to send in the question they would like to hear asked of the Dem 2020 election candidates.

I would ask them if they are now making plans and contacting people with extended knowledge and experience of the federal government, its agencies and functioning, for lists of qualified people to rebuild what has been and continues to be gutted over these last years.  The damage is so great, especially in the State Department, the Environmental Agency, the Judicial system, that every candidate has to start thinking about this now -- and be willing to confer with each other after the election -- and get to work even before inauguration to put things to rights.

~~~~~~~~

AOC's questioning of the Big $ucker was so to the point, and he was not looking so good, still pretending 1) he didn't really know anything about Cambridge Analytica and what was going on with that, or with the Russians; 2) that it didn't matter; 3) hasn't really done anything to fix the conditions that allow this.

BTW zuckerberg is giving Buttigieg a whole lot of support in many ways, from ads on FB to donations.  Suddenly Buttigieg's ranking among the candidates moved way up.  Coincidence?

When do we send in the pink dildos as a show of support?

Support of what or whom?  Not a good look for supporters, whomever they might be of whatever it might be ....

32 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

So I definitely over-reacted to the storming the room situation, especially since the Repubs wanted to be arrested. 

Yeah, me too.  Although it does tend to feel like they get away with breaking rules over and over again with no consequences.

26 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Support of what or whom?  Not a good look for supporters, whomever they might be of whatever it might be ....

I was thinking back to those militia types who occupied the national park a while ago. They made an online appeal for support and received boxes of pink dildos in response. Because,you know, being manly men types with winter coming in Montana, pink dildos seemed appropriate.

54 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I was thinking back to those militia types who occupied the national park a while ago. They made an online appeal for support and received boxes of pink dildos in response. Because,you know, being manly men types with winter coming in Montana, pink dildos seemed appropriate.

Ah!  I missed that.  It's impossible to keep up with hardly anything these days.  Thank you!

8 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Gabbard is claiming that she’s going to give up running for re-election in her district to focus on the presidential campaign.

Now that’s what I call good news! Might even be worth popping champagne over if it meant she was going away forever, but sadly I’m sure she has a lucrative career ahead of her going on right wing media and being their pet ex-Democrat who spends all her time talking and writing books about how terrible Democrats and liberals are.

When I heard that news, I wondered for a bit if that hinted at a third party run.  I agree that there's a very good chance she is angling for a media gig, like Fox News, where she can join Donna Brazile as the resident Democrat sellouts.  Running for the Democratic nomination has helped raise her national profile, and running as a third party candidate could help even more, which could be helpful to her when negotiating a contract with Fox.

Maybe Clinton was right about Gabbard.  Not sure yet, but we should know by the middle of next year.  I can see Gabbard refusing to drop out until the convention and then announce a third party run, if her goal is to raise her profile in advance of a job at Fox.  But a third party run would likely end her political career, and her support is so low right now anyway I'm not sure she can drum up enough support for a third party run, so maybe she just ends her campaign at the convention, or maybe earlier when she can't qualify for the debates.

I'm a little ignorant on how grand juries work. How much more information can be gleamed by getting access to the evidence now that a judge has ruled that House Democrats can have it?

41 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

When I heard that news, I wondered for a bit if that hinted at a third party run.  I agree that there's a very good chance she is angling for a media gig, like Fox News, where she can join Donna Brazile as the resident Democrat sellouts.  Running for the Democratic nomination has helped raise her national profile, and running as a third party candidate could help even more, which could be helpful to her when negotiating a contract with Fox.

Maybe Clinton was right about Gabbard.  Not sure yet, but we should know by the middle of next year.  I can see Gabbard refusing to drop out until the convention and then announce a third party run, if her goal is to raise her profile in advance of a job at Fox.  But a third party run would likely end her political career, and her support is so low right now anyway I'm not sure she can drum up enough support for a third party run, so maybe she just ends her campaign at the convention, or maybe earlier when she can't qualify for the debates.

It seems the real reason she's not running again is it looks like she'll have a tough primary and has made lots of enemies among Hawaii Democrats:

But her path to winning a fifth term in 2020 was complicated by a formidable primary challenge from state Sen. Kai Kahele, as well as her thorny relationships with other Aloha State politicians.

A trio of former Hawaii governors have backed Kahele’s bid to unseat Gabbard, and she ignited a feud with Sen. Mazie Hirono after authoring an op-ed in January accusing Democrats on the Senate Judiciary Committee of “religious bigotry” in their questioning of a nominee for a district judgeship.

Hirono, a member of that panel who previously held Gabbard’s House seat, criticized the congresswoman and called her assertions “totally unfounded” during an interview in March.

Gabbard’s decision is also likely to stoke speculation that she is considering mounting a third-party presidential campaign, especially amid her high-profile clash over the past week with 2016 Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.

But, clearly her timing of the announcement is not a coincidence - this definitely will stoke speculation of a 3rd party run which helps her whether she's planning to or not.  And while Clinton may end up being right (and prescient) about a third party run, I still think it was baseless speculation rooted in resentment.

25 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Gabbard/Lieberman 2020!

Joe Lieberman?  Those two have, like, diametrically opposed foreign policy views (although I guess that's part of your joke).

In other news, looks like Bolton may agree to be deposed.  That should be really interesting - could be the most damaging testimony yet.  But, I retain healthy skepticism - not gonna get too excited by relying on the likes of John Bolton.

So I was reading an article about how Republicans in Congress just wish Trump would shut the fuck up (paraphrased), and realized that Trump has really gotten himself into a pickle. The people who are going to decide his fate in the Senate want him to shut up so they can focus defending on just a few fronts and staying on message, but the people who are ensuring that Senate Republicans don't turn on Trump, his base, want him to lash out and fight back, so even if he could shut his mouth, he can't because they'd start losing faith in him if he stopped being the person they voted for.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/betsy-devos-held-in-contempt-for-violating-order-on-student-loans_n_5db2ffc2e4b0a8937403a6f8

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos was held in contempt of court by a federal judge on Thursday and ordered to pay a $100,000 fine after wrongly trying to collect on student loans taken out to attend a chain of now-shuttered for-profit colleges.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Sallie Kim wrote in her order that there was “no question” that DeVos’ Education Department “harmed individual borrowers who were forced to repay loans either through voluntary actions or involuntary methods.”
department’s continued efforts to collect on the loans, even after the judge ordered it to stop. Of those, 1,808 faced wage garnishment or offsets from their tax refunds, and 847 saw their credit scores negatively impacted. The borrowers have since been reimbursed, according to the department.

Kim wrote that “the evidence shows” the department made “only minimal efforts to comply with the preliminary injunction.”

The judge had ordered DeVos’ Education Department to stop collecting on the loans in May 2018. After discovering her order had not been followed, Kim issued a sharp rebuke of the department earlier this month.

“I’m not sending anyone to jail yet, but it’s good to know I have that ability,” the judge said at the time, Politico reported.

It is extremely rare for a court to hold a Cabinet secretary in contempt of court, and DeVos is facing fresh calls for her resignation over the issue.

Because DeVos is named in the lawsuit in her official capacity as education secretary, the billionaire school-choice activist will not be personally responsible for paying the fine. The $100,000 will go toward debt relief promised to former students of Corinthian Colleges, who former President Barack Obama’s administration found were defrauded by the company.

Bolton lawyers in talks about possible impeachment deposition

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/politics/john-bolton-lawyers-impeachment-inquiry/index.html

Lawyers for former national security adviser John Bolton have had talks with the three House committees leading the impeachment inquiry about a possible deposition, according to a source familiar.

If he does give a deposition, Bolton would join a handful of current and former Trump administration members who have been interviewed this month as part of the Democratic-led inquiry into President Donald Trump's dealings with Ukraine.
As House members who serve on the Intelligence, Oversight and Foreign Affairs committees have been interviewing witnesses in private, some of the committees' Democrats have said they believe there's a need for Bolton to testify.
Fiona Hill, Trump's former top Russia adviser, told lawmakers last week that she saw "wrongdoing" in American foreign policy and that Bolton had encouraged her to report her concerns to the National Security Council's attorney, sources had told CNN.
A source told CNN that Hill testified that Bolton referred to Trump's personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, who was working to dig up dirt on the Bidens, as a "hand grenade," who was "going to blow everybody up."

Have we talked about the real news bit.

DOJ ordered to hand over the unredacted Mueller report. This should be fun. I think/hope as soon as the unredacted version is out, it's pretty much curtains.