US Politics: A Mickey Mouse Operation

DMC

OTOH -- pusillanimous NPR - ATC labeled this stunt as a "protest."  So did the constantly effing up NYTimes

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/23/us/politics/trump-impeachment-inquiry.html?

(where, consistently, Watchmen's Seventh Kavalry was labeled'Kalvary' by the recapper  suchj different meanings for these words, at least when spelled with a 'c').

There was no irony in the delivery or presentation, instead of the attempt to illegitimately, i.e. criminally, block legitimate investigation into widely admitted wrong doing that endangers the US and the globe, to put it mildly.  More criminal acts committed by Them with impunity. Ignoring it in hopes that it will stop, when it has been amply proven it never ever has stopped and never ever will -- and it's armed with nuclear weapons is foolish.

That delivery of bedbug today about the cease fire, the lifting of sanctions on Turkey -- he kept howling, "I did it! We did it."  Yah, you sure did.  And now you admit.  You really did it.

2 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

The Dems are just gonna do nothing and cry about this. Meanwhile the Repubs are crowing left and right about how great they are for this, and guess what they get their message out. The majority of the people in this country eat that up. So unless I see something that drastically shifts opinion against the right this is a huge victory for them. They should have been arrested the moment they burst in, that might've saved the Dems. Now instead we are gonna be hearing about this stupid fucking stunt as the time Repubs saved the republic for the rest of history. 

Nobody except for Trump's hard-core base, their enablers and those profiteering off of both groups care much one way or the other about this. In fact, depending on how much coverage this gets, it'll probably backfire a little bit. 

If you want every single Republican to start raging against the Democrats, then arrest all two dozen of them. Sean Hannity would probably kill himself from the force of his spontaneous ejaculation were that to happen, and every surviving Fox News host, right-wing newspaper and conspiracy rag will talk about nothing else from now until the election. 

It's a stupid stunt designed to stroke Trump's ego and to play to his base. Since they're acting like children, treat them like children and ignore them, then wait and censure them when the hullabaloo has died down.

12 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

And yet, I've seen people point this out to other online, only to have someone respond that that was a lie.

I can't do anything else but shrug. When one side is willing to lie over and over in bad faith and they have constant mouthpieces that will amplify that message, not sure what else you can do. Between Sinclair and Fox News, that message will be everywhere and they've conditioned everyone to believe that anyone not for Trump (Republican or Dem) is against Trump and that all that matters is loyalty to Trump. It's pretty damn scary.

That being said, Trump is losing independents and he's having a hard time with Senate Republicans if his rants against Never Trump Republicans plus rumors from within the caucus are anything to go by. Public hearings aren't going to be helpful to his cause either. This is going to get worse for him and he's going to come more and more unhinged.

The House are rabble and dont count. Its the Senate that is the more deliberative body (and in general are also more vulnerable even in safely red or blue states) and I notice not too many of the Republicans there have offered full-throated defenses of the toddler in chief (except Graham, and even his toadying may have limits). There is still a way to go, and I dont see how Trump can improve his position from here on.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I can't do anything else but shrug. When one side is willing to lie over and over in bad faith and they have constant mouthpieces that will amplify that message, not sure what else you can do. Between Sinclair and Fox News, that message will be everywhere and they've conditioned everyone to believe that anyone not for Trump (Republican or Dem) is against Trump and that all that matters is loyalty to Trump. It's pretty damn scary.

Yep, and it's made worse by the constant conflation that Trump is America, and thus any disrespect to him is also disrespect to the country (ignoring that these were the same people who constantly bashed Obama).

I always enjoy when Ed Luce is on NPR, and once he described a telling set of interactions he had with Trump supporters at his rallies during the election. He would regularly go line by line breaking down how what Trump was saying was a lie, and he said the interactions always ended the same way, they'd ask him if he thought they were dumb, and he always had to conclude that he did. These people have become so wrapped in group think to the point I don't think they can psychologically handle accepting that they were wrong this whole time, so they're willing to keep diving deeper and deeper into the insanity of all of it rather than admitting they made a huge mistake.

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

So remember how everyone got pissed off at Clinton for saying that Russians were grooming Gabbard?

about that

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/10/new-york-times-changes-story-admitting-they-misquoted-clinton-saying-russians-were-grooming-tulsi-gabbard/#.Xa-gAKKls4E.twitter

Well that certainly makes her aide's comment about "nesting doll fits" a little out of place.  Seems like that would more likely refer to Russia than the GOP.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

So remember how everyone got pissed off at Clinton for saying that Russians were grooming Gabbard?

about that

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/10/new-york-times-changes-story-admitting-they-misquoted-clinton-saying-russians-were-grooming-tulsi-gabbard/#.Xa-gAKKls4E.twitter

Yeah I just listened to the podcast, and she's not even really referring to the GOP there, she's referring to the Trump campaign.  Go to about 34:30 to hear the full context of the comments.  The specific comments start around 35:35.  This took me, like, 5-7 minutes of jumping around the podcast to check.  It'd be nice if someone - whose, ya know, actual job it is - had done the same before every news outlet picked up the same inaccurate characterization of her comments.  Anyway, she does indeed say Gabbard is a favorite of the Russians (which is true of course), and her comments regarding Stein were reported accurately.

Archived