Revenge 2018 film

Centrist Simon Steele

Anyone else see this movie? A warning, it's a rape revenge movie but it's not like others in the genre. I found couldnt take my eyes off the screen. It's stylish and deep.

Spoiler

Like stabbing the dude in the eyes who turned a blind eye toward Jenn when she was assaulted. A lot of interesting moments like this.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think many of you are interested in this film! But just in case, I came across this interview with the director. There are some spoilers in the interview, but I will say, this is a film that doesn't play much with our expectations in the big picture. If you've seen a revenge film before, the major beats are not much different.

Some minor spoilers of my own:

Fargeat's strength is first is upending our expectations in the small moments. Some shots are framed very much in the spirit of many horror films (slasher films primarily), such as when a character is sitting in the car and waiting. The shot is framed in a way where the back seat looms behind him, and you feel the impending jump scare. But it doesn't come here. The payoff, the build up is earned, but it doesn't come in these obvious moments. 

Either way, I love this movie and how it deals with women and sexualization. If you have Shudder (why would you, honestly?), this film is featured there.

Things happen in this film that require a major suspension of disbelief. If you've seen the Crow, imagine that film featuring the death of Brandon Lee's character and his fiance. Instead of the supernatural crow bringing him back, it would be more like he just got up after being shot through the heart by the attackers, plunging multiple stories to the asphalt below, only to get up a day later ready to fight back. The supernatural would be implied, not explicit, but the only way it can work is if the supernatural does occur.

I highly recommend this film if you like action/horror/suspense. It's very...cathartic. Sorry to bump myself, but I think my initial post did it no favors.

A quote from the director (in the linked article): "It basically came from the idea of the character, this pretty girl who would be seen at the beginning as being kind of weak and empty because she presents herself in a certain way, crushed by the male gaze, and would be reborn as a very strong and powerful kind of warrior. So it really came from this iconic twist of the Lolita becoming a total self-empowered girl. And I didn’t want to make a very realistic horror film. I was much more inspired by revenge movies like Kill Bill or Mad Max or Rambo—characters who create a whole universe by themselves."

Archived