Star Wars: The Circle is Almost Complete

Myrddin

28 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

The circle is almost complete, but a new one will start soon. We almost need a Wheel of Time reference here...

A galaxy rotates about its axis, and trilogies come and go, leaving memories that become nostalgic. And nostalgia turns into opinions, and even opinions fade as the trilogy that gave them rise is rebooted. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the saga of Star Wars, as prequels and sequels are made, and sequels of prequels are born, and turned into prequels of other sequels. But this will be an ending.

Seems quite a blow for star wars going forward in terms of getting a film out by 2023. I guess there's Rian Johnson's films but if D&B leaving is linked with fan perception/backlash I could imagine him  "pursuing other options due to time conflicts".

The bright-side is that they probably have other producers/directors they could get involved. Maybe Feige is considering doing more than 1 film for them and I guess there's a string of talent he can bring with him.

I guess in fairness to D&B it might well be that they'd rather do their Netflix shows. The money could conceivably be better and they'd have more creative freedom than they would in a star wars film. Instinctively I'd find it hard to turn star wars down but I guess if I had the opportunity to make my own dream show I'd go that way too.

13 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Indeed. If only Netflix would have said no thanks, too.

I'm willing to give them another chance. I enjoyed most of the show and suspect as long as they have other people writing another show that they'd be able to produce the hell out of it. It's why I'd have had no problem with them making a star wars film as long as they weren't writing it. 

27 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm willing to give them another chance. I enjoyed most of the show and suspect as long as they have other people writing another show that they'd be able to produce the hell out of it. It's why I'd have had no problem with them making a star wars film as long as they weren't writing it. 

While I can't say I'm sad to see them off Star Wars, I certainly don't blame them for the ending of GoT. There were (are) a ton of sprawling characters and storylines not completed in the source material. We can agree/disagree/debate how good/bad/ugly it was, but they did what they could with what they were given. 

Got to wonder how much having Feige onboard helped usher them out. Or whether the Netflix deal was made knowing they were being shown the door eventually. Guesses and speculation.

On a different subject:

The production quality of the Mandalorian is amazing, though. Hard to believe what's available on a "television" budget these days. Looking forward to seeing McGregor don the hermit robes that suspiciously look like an old Jedi uniform. AND the further prequel adventures of Cassian Andor. Wonder what else Disney+ has in store for us in the live action Star Wars space?

9 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

but they did what they could with what they were given. 

Were they not offered the time and budget to make a full season but fucked it off because they wanted to come and make Star Wars?

In any case multiple people proposed perfectly workable ideas that would have made the ending less disastrous within minutes of seeing the finale, so yeah, I'm not sure they deserve slack on that one.

To be fair to them, they did a great job of getting the show up and running and when they had material from GRRM to work with they created the best show I’d ever seen.

But at some point they decided to wrap it up as quickly as they could and always struggled with it. I do have some sympathy for them over that.

However, no matter what time pressures they were under, there was little excuse for turning the show into the brain dead blockbuster romp it had become by S7. 

im very happy they have moved away from the franchise, I had little confidence they would have done a good job on it

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Were they not offered the time and budget to make a full season but fucked it off because they wanted to come and make Star Wars?

In any case multiple people proposed perfectly workable ideas that would have made the ending less disastrous within minutes of seeing the finale, so yeah, I'm not sure they deserve slack on that one.

No slack given.

They fucked ASoIaF rough. I don't know if I'll ever get over how badly they handled Dany's turn. 

I actually gave a cheer when I found out they got bounced from STAR WARS. 

---

New Mandalorian trailer looks good

The Star Wars deal was announced in Feb 2018, right? Even assuming they were negotiating contracts months before that, scripts for the last season were already written and locked down for the table read in October 2017. They had been working toward that end since before the July 2016 announcement of the final season.

Were they probably more than ready to hop off the GoT train? We can all agree on that certainty. But let's not blame Star Wars for it.

There’s an interview I have not read yet going around we’re I guess the gist is they made GoT to figure out how to make films. It’s apparently pissing people off but again, have not read.

and I might have had sympathy for them not having books to work from if they hadn’t thrown 90 percent of books 4/5 in the trash and then shit all over it. There’s no excuse for Dorne

18 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

There’s an interview I have not read yet going around we’re I guess the gist is they made GoT to figure out how to make films. It’s apparently pissing people off but again, have not read.

and I might have had sympathy for them not having books to work from if they hadn’t thrown 90 percent of books 4/5 in the trash and then shit all over it. There’s no excuse for Dorne

I read it. Seemed more like they were admitting surprise at the trust given [by GRRM] and subsequent grace lent by HBO execs [the original pilot licked scrote, apparently] they under wrote and shot a lot of the episodes in S1, HBO made them add material, and so on. They copped to trying to cotton as much learning along the way as they could [writing values, production, costumes, etc] 

It didn't come off so much as arrogant, rather, more that they were kind of oblivious to the privilege granted. Chance after chance, after chance.

/mini rant

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Seems quite a blow for star wars going forward in terms of getting a film out by 2023. I guess there's Rian Johnson's films but if D&B leaving is linked with fan perception/backlash I could imagine him  "pursuing other options due to time conflicts".

The bright-side is that they probably have other producers/directors they could get involved. Maybe Feige is considering doing more than 1 film for them and I guess there's a string of talent he can bring with him.

I guess in fairness to D&B it might well be that they'd rather do their Netflix shows. The money could conceivably be better and they'd have more creative freedom than they would in a star wars film. Instinctively I'd find it hard to turn star wars down but I guess if I had the opportunity to make my own dream show I'd go that way too.

If that means them doing that Confederate show, I'll pass. And it's not just writing they need to be kept away from, it's also directing, for all that they got nominated for an Emmy. What a joke that was. If you look at how they handled the last season, there are serious questions that need to be asked about how much freedom they can be given as producers/directors.

56 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

No slack given.

They fucked ASoIaF rough. I don't know if I'll ever get over how badly they handled Dany's turn. 

I actually gave a cheer when I found out they got bounced from STAR WARS. 

---

New Mandalorian trailer looks good

I agree.  They seem to find it hilarious that they made a hit show while not having any idea what they were doing, and they have basically admitted everything--not caring about themes or plot continuity, writing for the actors not the character--that their few critics have said all along.  I'm kind of over Star Wars, but I'm glad these two are off the project.  I very much doubt Netflix is going to get any decent ROI on those two.  It looks more and more like GOT was a hit in spite of D&D, not because of them.

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

You've never seen The Wire?

yeah of course, I loved it, it's brilliant. But GoT was just so great at the time around S4 I couldn't wait for each episode. Which is why its such a travesty what it descended into, to the point where I was completely indifferent to watching it.

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

On a different subject:

The production quality of the Mandalorian is amazing, though. Hard to believe what's available on a "television" budget these days. Looking forward to seeing McGregor don the hermit robes that suspiciously look like an old Jedi uniform. AND the further prequel adventures of Cassian Andor. Wonder what else Disney+ has in store for us in the live action Star Wars space?

I'm guessing it's not a TV budget and more in line with shows that were already established as winners before ever having that much money spent on it. It's going to be their "subscription seller". Even with a huge budget though it's still going to be spread over 10 hours of footage instead of 2 so it'll be interesting to see how they spread the costs without folk standing in bars a lot.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

If that means them doing that Confederate show, I'll pass. And it's not just writing they need to be kept away from, it's also directing, for all that they got nominated for an Emmy. What a joke that was. If you look at how they handled the last season, there are serious questions that need to be asked about how much freedom they can be given as producers/directors.

I highly doubt they'll be resurrecting the confederate show given the negative blowback they got from the published premise alone. They'd need to rework it considerably to get it to work and to be honest they'd be far better doing something like "East of West" (which I believe amazon recently passed on) which has an alternate history of North America that doesn't dwell on slavery and actually has native americans and waves of different cultures forming nations. Plus the comic should probably be finished before the show catches up so they'd have a template.

You raise an interesting point regarding the amount of freedom vs quality. It could be argued they were on a tighter leash in the earlier/better seasons than the final two where I suspect they could do what they wanted. In which case they'd maybe have performed much better under the leash of Kathleen Kennedy and Disney.

Seems to be a day where GOT related projects are being canned what with the prequel show being cancelled. Seems like the final season has been pretty toxic. Or just a weird coincidence.

32 minutes ago, red snow said:

Seems to be a day where GOT related projects are being canned what with the prequel show being cancelled. Seems like the final season has been pretty toxic. Or just a weird coincidence.

Wow. I figured with Naomi Watts attached, it was a sure thing.

Archived