Star Wars: The Circle is Almost Complete

Myrddin

6 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Aftermath is shit, but still not as bad as Dawn of the Jedi.

Over a decade and a regime change later and I'm still depressed about the last four or five books of the Legacy of the Force series, which started with actual promise.

So the GoT guys wanted to do something besides blow up a deathstar and they were told no and took off.     Do we know what creative differences got Lord&Miller fired?   Were they also trying to add something to the mythos, or was it a fight over style choices like the 'feel' of the movie?    If the pattern is that whoever tries to add something new gets fired but Ryann Johnson gets to have people running around doing nothing much as he burns the SW universe down like Seth Rawlins, that's a disservice to the future of the franchise too.    They should gather competence, have a plan, show reverence for the material, add some ambition into the mix, and take the risk of writing a genuine new chapter in the saga instead of keeping us in a holding pattern.   

If the jedi origin story is out, what do you want to see?    Put your pitch together and send the studio some ideas.   They seem to need help, and after this departure maybe someone over there will be shaken enough to listen.

14 hours ago, karaddin said:

Apparently D&D wanted to tackle the origin of the Jedi and that was a point of disagreement between them and LF. I wonder if that means this topic will still be covered by whoever takes over the trilogy and the difference was a matter of the details, or if LF just doesn't want to touch that time period full stop.

On The Mandalorian - I do wonder after the trailer how much time we'll get with the helmet off. Pedro is a wonderful and charismatic actor so it's going to be a but of a loss if we never get to see his face, but good actors do still find ways to make that work.

Hugo weaving did a good job in V for Vendetta. Plus, it makes stunts a hell of a lot easier when the character's face can't be seen. I'm sure we'll see him plenty without the helmet though.

As for origin of the Jedi it seems a ballsy thing to pitch and quit over. You'd hope midichlorians taught them some things best left.

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Everything I’ve read suggests that D&D expected to be treated like Gods and when they handed in their first draft super late and was told it needed work they bailed. Like, fuck your guys we quit nah nah nah.

Can't really fault them when they've got a Netflix deal as a fall back though. 

My pitch - something in the tradition of 'Black Hawk Down' or 'the Hurt Locker' looking into the depressing and difficult life working as a Stormtrooper for a giant, galaxy spanning military. Just follow the Finn character concept all the way to its extreme.  If this Joker movie is going to get Phoenix an Oscar nom, then why not this? Other than not being for kids. 

Or a 'Heart of Darkness' remake based on a mission of troopers sent by Vader to find Yoda on Dagobah. 

48 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Or a 'Heart of Darkness' remake based on a mission of troopers sent by Vader to find Yoda on Dagobah.  

Have you read Shatterpoint? Clone Wars novel that is a Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now story based around Mace Windu. It's wicked.

19 hours ago, karaddin said:

On The Mandalorian - I do wonder after the trailer how much time we'll get with the helmet off. Pedro is a wonderful and charismatic actor so it's going to be a but of a loss if we never get to see his face, but good actors do still find ways to make that work.

The trailers suggest the possibility of some effective acting without facial expression. The way the character moves and fights can have its own impact. That being said, I certainly hope to see his face, but I also hope he's got some noticeable makeup, maybe some significant scars.

4 hours ago, Vaughn said:

My pitch - something in the tradition of 'Black Hawk Down' or 'the Hurt Locker' looking into the depressing and difficult life working as a Stormtrooper for a giant, galaxy spanning military. Just follow the Finn character concept all the way to its extreme.  If this Joker movie is going to get Phoenix an Oscar nom, then why not this? Other than not being for kids. 

Ironically, the only ones I have see embracing the "Rooting for Empire" trope so far had been a channel named "Star Wars Kids" and their amazing Galaxy of Adventures shorts. It's not much, but they are a lot of fun to watch:

I always thought that a Magnus, Robot-Fighter kind of story in the Star Wars universe would work great. By which I mean, the droid slave population starts rising up, the "good guys" remorselessly slaughter them until some of them accept that droids are self-aware and deserve self-determination and end up taking their side.

It'd be a fundamental change to the setting, but I think it'd make for a worthwhile story.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I always thought that a Magnus, Robot-Fighter kind of story in the Star Wars universe would work great. By which I mean, the droid slave population starts rising up, the "good guys" remorselessly slaughter them until some of them accept that droids are self-aware and deserve self-determination and end up taking their side.

It'd be a fundamental change to the setting, but I think it'd make for a worthwhile story.

Would it be fundamental?  The droid in Solo hit that area on the nose pretty hard I thought.

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Would it be fundamental?  The droid in Solo hit that area on the nose pretty hard I thought.

Yeah, but L3 led to nothing and the status quo remained. I'm saying a film or series of films in which the status quo was changed -- droids ultimately given rights rather than treated as slaves, or at least the "good guys" being permanently aligned with this against everyone else who'd be the "bad guys" [e.g. the New Republic refuses to accept droid rights and Our Heroes end up creating a rebellion against _them_] -- would be a fundamental change.

If they want the Millenium Falcon (given that L3 was uploaded into the ship) to be the mastermind behind the droid revolt, I would not be opposed.

Trying to tell a story about the origins of the Jedi does seem hugely ambitious to me, especially when there's so much interesting stuff in the Old Republic era that would not only distance itself from the Skywalker saga but wouldn't need to tell the story of the origins of the Jedi or the Sith.

On 10/29/2019 at 7:24 PM, Caligula_K3 said:

Thank you for this reasonable post. The idea that D&D rushed the last season to make Star Wars that has achieved internet consensus makes absolutely no sense in terms of chronology. And while I wish seaons 7 and 8 had more episodes, I'm tired of people accusing them of laziness for not making more episodes when the six episodes of season 8 took them two years to make - and if they had really wanted to rush the ending, they could have done it in a year like the other seasons. This was the most complicated show on television. Adding another episode would have taken considerable time and effort, from them, the actos, and the crew. And if they were tired of Game of Thrones after 10 years, as many of the actors and crew seemed to be too... who can blame them?  

If 2018 was the earliest that the Star Wars deal was in talks then it makes no sense chronologically, but I have a feeling they were approached about it much earlier than that.  The Disney deal happened in 2014 and season four was immensely popular.  As much shit as Disney seemed to want to do with Star Wars back then, I have no doubt their names were probably floated for a SW project as early as 2015, whether there was an official deal or not.  Even if they weren't splitting their focus between what they were going to do with the Star Wars universe and the last two seasons of Game of Thrones, during pre-production and production for season six I think the show became "A Game of getting this the fuck over with."  They were clearly ready to move onto something else, and I don't know what the politics behind putting in a new show runner for the last two seasons were.

But as for the bolded part, I haven't seen any evidence to suggest they spent any more time actually making season eight than they did on the other seasons.  There was just a longer break between seasons. 

On 10/29/2019 at 6:30 PM, karaddin said:

The interview makes it clear that they don't deserve any slack or really any of the credit for getting the show going as a success. They lucked into the job and lucked into the team that got put around them which was responsible for everything good about the show, including any good character work being thanks to the actors not the writing.

Just makes it even more clear how much credit the production team, costuming etc and the actors deserve though. So glad to have them not doing the SW trilogy anymore. Hopefully the primary story ideas weren't coming from them anyway and someone new can take it and run from there

I'll give them credit for how close they stuck to the books in seasons 1-3.  The first episode ends with a child getting pushed out a window, the main character dies in episode nine, there's a storyline on another continent that has almost literally nothing to do with anything else going on in the show, there is a gigantic ensemble cast to keep up with and several different parts of the world where the story takes place, etc.  These kinds of things really do break with norms of film and television, and the show became such a hit because people actually responded well to it.  It was something new and daring.  Look at other adaptations of books or video games, there are typically way more changes.  George even said in an interview one time when people came to him about adaptations in the past they'd wanted to do things like cut Daenerys and have Ned Stark live.  At least D&D were able to be firm on what they put into the first few seasons.  I wish they would have stayed as committed to bucking norms and being unconventional in seasons four onward but the ink is dry now.  

On 10/31/2019 at 12:06 AM, karaddin said:

Apparently D&D wanted to tackle the origin of the Jedi and that was a point of disagreement between them and LF. I wonder if that means this topic will still be covered by whoever takes over the trilogy and the difference was a matter of the details, or if LF just doesn't want to touch that time period full stop.

See also Gwendoline Christie and possibly Keri Russel...we’ll see how much time she is wearing that bucket and hiding her luscious locks soon enough! :P 

11 hours ago, Ran said:

I've always found this a dodgy aspect of the star wars universe and I'm with you on the use of "good guys" as it's pretty clear everyone knows the droids are self-aware yet they use them as slaves and kill them with wild abandon. At the very least they need to have different levels of awareness based on the tasks they perform but even that is problematic. 

Archived