Star Wars: The Circle is Almost Complete

Myrddin

51 minutes ago, DMC said:

Sorry but this doesn't really follow.  Navy Seals, or at least the people doing black ops, are less than that 0.1% of the population.  There's still lots of people that wannabe as cool as they are.  And the Jedi are pretty fucking cool, so I think it's reasonable to assume that got around.

Maybe? There is zero sign of any kind of global entertainment, news or anything like that. There isn't broad ftl communication. I think it would be closer to something like the texas rangers - some people would idolize them, some would know, most wouldn't have ever heard of them. 

The star wars universe is weird. 

Han Solo's words may imply that the Jedi were a thing long in the past, or it may simply say something about him. He is well traveled, but maintains he never saw something indicative of the force and hokie religions. But maybe that's just the way he is, a skeptic, who only trusts in himself, and maybe a bit of an idiot when it comes to understanding the complexities of the galaxy around him. There are people who believe the Moon landing was a hoax contrary to the video evidence, and it's mainly because of their lack of education and their own preferences.

On 11/4/2019 at 6:27 PM, red snow said:

Sounds a bit like Disney changed their minds rather than D&D. Maybe they need to say they are hiring people to develop/pitch projects rather than make a big deal announcement and then can it a year later.

It's still crazy and concerning that no release for the mandalorian in the UK has been announced

Disney+ is coming in March to the UK i believe 

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Disney+ is coming in March to the UK i believe 

Which means the mandalorian will have aired the whole season by then. This doesn't sound like a good way to launch Disney+ in the UK. Chances are fans (including myself) will have watched by other means (VPN trickery/streaming) or bought the US Blu-ray (assuming Disney releases on DVD/Blu-ray) before it is available in UK. 5 months of avoiding star wars spoilers is an impossibility.

It just seems to be particularly petty/disregarding towards UK customers as Disney already has a UK streaming service for their films. They could have at least put the show on there or release on sky TV (which i think Disney own now they've bought Murdock's non news empire).

Hopefully not too many Disney+ shows are missed this way or there's going to be a lot of disgruntled UK based folks who will already be used to getting Disney+ shows in other ways come March. I guess it makes no difference to them if people are buying Disney+ accounts via other territories but if people are watching from copy stream sites or downloads it hurts.

10 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'm pretty sure Tatooine and many other Outer Rim planets didn't send any representatives. So if you grew up in that part of the galaxy, it's not that surprising to find someone who doesn't believe in the Jedi.

Hell the Jedi for a long time did not participate in the public sphere in general. Even their involvement in the war was greeted by surprise(and dismay), on many on the outer rim who’hoped/expected the Jedi to stay out of the conflict. They did not promote themselves to the public. Palps himself promoted Anakin as a war-hero, but did as much as possible to minimize credit the Jedi would receive for the war’s appearance of succeeding. 

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Maybe? There is zero sign of any kind of global entertainment, news or anything like that. There isn't broad ftl communication. I think it would be closer to something like the texas rangers - some people would idolize them, some would know, most wouldn't have ever heard of them. 

The star wars universe is weird. 

I think you're not off with your comparison. Also, I think Han’s view of the Jedi would put them like the Texas Rangers. He could accept that if the Jedi did exist they were skilled law-enforcement or government employees , perhaps but he Would probably balk at any claim they were supernatural. 

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Han Solo's words may imply that the Jedi were a thing long in the past, or it may simply say something about him. He is well traveled, but maintains he never saw something indicative of the force and hokie religions. But maybe that's just the way he is, a skeptic, who only trusts in himself, and maybe a bit of an idiot when it comes to understanding the complexities of the galaxy around him. There are people who believe the Moon landing was a hoax contrary to the video evidence, and it's mainly because of their lack of education and their own preferences.

I think this is a slightly unfair comparison. People do to ascribe some mystical quality to things they do not understand and/or are incredibly baffled by. For example Marco Polo on encountering Rhinos thought they were unicorns. He also, attributed sounds in a desert to literal spirits-when there was scientific explanation for them. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/why-sand-dunes-deserts-around-world-sing-1-180957071/ It’s not unreasonable for Han to think the supernatural abilities attributed to the Jedi a result of people simply not understanding them.

So Han travelled through some kind of subspace filled with giant space kraken but the idea that people have Force powers is beyond belief? I guess. 

Speaking of reputation, how famous was Darth Vader? You'd think the First Order would hold him and the Emperor in high regard as it's only 30 years later or something. But Hux seems to mock Ren for his cultish regard for Vader. 

2 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

So Han travelled through some kind of subspace filled with giant space kraken but the idea that people have Force powers is beyond belief? I guess. 

Speaking of reputation, how famous was Darth Vader? You'd think the First Order would hold him and the Emperor in high regard as it's only 30 years later or something. But Hux seems to mock Ren for his cultish regard for Vader. 

Even as far into the Empire's growth as the beginning of ANH, you had normal Imperial officers mocking Vader to his face about the Force though.

14 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I doubt rich senators bothered explaining stuff to street kids like Han. Especially after Order 66

They don't have to be explaining it to people one-on-one.

Think of it this way. Hundreds of years ago, explorers went to other countries and came back and told people what they, directly, had seen. But the information infrastructure was such that the way those tales were disseminated, mostly by word of mouth, allowed people to believe that those things could be mythical. 

Nowadays, explorers go to places we'll never go - the poles, into orbit, whatever - but few of us can doubt the things they saw there because we, and they, have means to spread that information around reliably, reference it, research it, and so on.

It appears that Lucas set the Star Wars universe up so that it far exceeds modern technology in terms of interstellar flight, lasers, robots, and artificial intelligence, but resembles a more medieval level of information distribution. And that's fine, and it's even quite cool at times, and I don't mind it, but if we're honest it doesn't make any real sense. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Think of it this way. Hundreds of years ago, explorers went to other countries and came back and told people what they, directly, had seen. But the information infrastructure was such that the way those tales were disseminated, mostly by word of mouth, allowed people to believe that those things could be mythical. 

Nowadays, explorers go to places we'll never go - the poles, into orbit, whatever - but few of us can doubt the things they saw there because we, and they, have means to spread that information around reliably, reference it, research it, and so on.

It appears that Lucas set the Star Wars universe up so that it far exceeds modern technology in terms of interstellar flight, lasers, robots, and artificial intelligence, but resembles a more medieval level of information distribution. And that's fine, and it's even quite cool at times, and I don't mind it, but if we're honest it doesn't make any real sense. 

That's a fault of all SF universes, they only extend as far as the writers' imagination. (But Lucas did give us holograms)

The SW universe has FTL communication devices so i highly doubt there are hypothetical people living in the core systems of this fantasy "world" that haven't heard of Jedi. Which is why Han's statement has made ZERO sense since TPM established the Jedi order being around, and playing a huge role in politics, when Han was born.

The SW universe makes no sense. I think that's fair to say. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Flat earthers.

vaccine avoiders.

climate change deniers.

2 hours ago, mormont said:

There was an article a while ago that said these sci-fi worlds, blade runner & star wars, had an evolution in energy thus allowing for lasers, robots, flights etc as opposed to the information evolution that we've had, thus accounting for the lack of information distribution in both SW & Bladerunner. It was a pretty interesting article, but I have zero idea where I read it.

Also, Han would have been alive for Order 66...so there's that...people being told by the new Emperor that the Jedi were to blame...doesn't make them a myth so much a bogey...eh.  It could have been done better.

As for the information dissemination...it does appear that the Empire had a pretty good deal going with suppression there...

5 hours ago, Relic said:

The SW universe has FTL communication devices so i highly doubt there are hypothetical people living in the core systems of this fantasy "world" that haven't heard of Jedi. Which is why Han's statement has made ZERO sense since TPM established the Jedi order being around, and playing a huge role in politics, when Han was born.

FTL communication exists, but that doesn't mean it's cheap and accessible. I think the first time we see it is between the Emperor and the flagship of the Imperial fleet? And in the prequels, Jedi on missions and planetary heads of state have access to it. There's certainly no indication of anything resembling a galactic internet.

I don't think Han would have been especially interested in galactic politics as a teenager, and even if he was aware the Jedi were a big deal on Coruscant, that doesn't prove the existence of the Force!

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Also, Han would have been alive for Order 66...so there's that...people being told by the new Emperor that the Jedi were to blame...doesn't make them a myth so much a bogey...eh.  It could have been done better.

Did the Emperor announce to the people of the galaxy that the Jedi were evil, or did they just quietly disappear?

32 minutes ago, felice said:

Did the Emperor announce to the people of the galaxy that the Jedi were evil, or did they just quietly disappear?

He told the senate that they disfigured him.  :dunno: 

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

He told the senate that they disfigured him.  :dunno: 

That's something like three people per planet. Did they all go home and broadcast the news to the people they represent? Maybe some of them, but we know some actively disbelieved Palpatine, others would have been unsure, and keeping the public informed of current events doesn't seem to be a priority for the Republic in general.

20 hours ago, DMC said:

Sorry but this doesn't really follow.  Navy Seals, or at least the people doing black ops, are less than that 0.1% of the population.  There's still lots of people that wannabe as cool as they are.  And the Jedi are pretty fucking cool, so I think it's reasonable to assume that got around.

But a lot of what people know about Seals comes fron novels and films, so is dismissed as sensational

Archived