Star Wars: The Circle is Almost Complete

Myrddin

On 11/6/2019 at 6:48 PM, Darth Richard II said:

That’s not Kylo melding his mask back together, unless he suddenly has Wookiee hands.

Did he get the same healing treatment as Luther in Umbrella Academy? Is he going to be even wider now?

On 11/6/2019 at 7:13 PM, felice said:

That's a completely different situation from Star Wars producing a trilogy they know from the start is meant to complete a nine film cycle. 

Mikey Neumann/FilmJoy on YT had a 3 part series on the Harry Potter films and just how incredible an undertaking it was to a) produce 8 films telling a coherent story in 10 years and b ) not just manage to tell the story but actually make them mostly good movies with a variation in tone and style that matured with the audience the same as the books. For all that we get disappointed when these movies fail to string together its easy to forget just how high they're aiming when they try do this.

The series really made me appreciate the HP movies more, and in general he's a fantastic youtuber for finding things to enjoy and love in movies - its certainly improved my enjoyment watching things I had never intended to watch after watching his take on what was good about it. Its an attitude shift from my previous cynical viewing that tried to find flaws, and I'm happier for it.

On 11/8/2019 at 3:48 AM, Bittersweet Distractor said:

For me the concept and story behind ROTS was great, but it felt so rushed because they had to fit so much in to one film because they wasted the other two prequels with pod races and love stories.

To be fair to the PT (something I never expected to say) the love story is actually central to the plot, its the the weakness that lets Palps manipulate him. The problem isn't that the love story exists, its that its the most poorly executed love story ever.

7 hours ago, felice said:

FTL communication exists, but that doesn't mean it's cheap and accessible. I think the first time we see it is between the Emperor and the flagship of the Imperial fleet? And in the prequels, Jedi on missions and planetary heads of state have access to it. There's certainly no indication of anything resembling a galactic internet.

I don't think Han would have been especially interested in galactic politics as a teenager, and even if he was aware the Jedi were a big deal on Coruscant, that doesn't prove the existence of the Force!

Did the Emperor announce to the people of the galaxy that the Jedi were evil, or did they just quietly disappear?

I mean i don't know what is canon anymore and what isnt, and which canon should be considered for this conversation, but im pretty sure there is a galactic internet in the SW universe, based on the pen and pencil RPG rule books i read as a teen. anyway, whatever, Han was born the same year TPM takes place. Clone Wars, fall of the Republic, Jedi everywhere...

It's not just Han's comment, though. Luke doesn't recognise what a lightsaber is and Obi-Wan has to explain to him what the Force is. Yes, yes, I know, Luke's just a farm boy. He knows about the Imperial Academy though. 

5 minutes ago, mormont said:

It's not just Han's comment, though. Luke doesn't recognise what a lightsaber is and Obi-Wan has to explain to him what the Force is. Yes, yes, I know, Luke's just a farm boy. He knows about the Imperial Academy though. 

I really don't see the issue with this at all. Tatooine is a backwater and Luke appears to essentially be home schooled, why would he recognize a lightsaber? No one uses them on Tatooine, and there's plenty of reason why Owen and Beru would try to avoid talking about the Jedi or their equipment, nor is there much reason for Jedi to be topics of conversation with any regularity.

I honestly think the world building on these aspects are fine if one accepts the conceit that there's no galactic news/entertainment network.

16 minutes ago, Ran said:

I honestly think the world building on these aspects are fine if one accepts the conceit that there's no galactic news/entertainment network.

Sure. But then, that is the bit that makes no sense.

As I said, I'm willing to accept it for the sake of the story, as I am a number of other things in SW. But it's also fine to acknowledge that they're improbable at best. :)

4 hours ago, mormont said:

Sure. But then, that is the bit that makes no sense.

As I said, I'm willing to accept it for the sake of the story, as I am a number of other things in SW. But it's also fine to acknowledge that they're improbable at best. :)

Generally speaking star wars has advanced hardware but absolute bollocks software. The exception is droids, but perhaps they are accomplished through some weird other mechanism. 

There's a real lack of leisure activities in general though, other than drinking at cantinas with live music and opera on coruscant.

53 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Generally speaking star wars has advanced hardware but absolute bollocks software. The exception is droids, but perhaps they are accomplished through some weird other mechanism. 

There's a real lack of leisure activities in general though, other than drinking at cantinas with live music and opera on coruscant.

You don't like betting on the Pod Races...?  

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Don't forget Dejarik!

18 hours ago, felice said:

I don't think Han would have been especially interested in galactic politics as a teenager, and even if he was aware the Jedi were a big deal on Coruscant, that doesn't prove the existence of the Force!

Which  is really Han’s major gripe. Even acknowledging the Jedi existed does not mean the force itself is real. Like we all know Jesus, Muhammed, and Buddah existed. I'm sure most would concede each of them having been a real person doesn't really mean each claims or the claims of them for any supernatural activity is true. 

The Jedi being an order of warriors he’d probably accept. Them being magic? It's a stretch. Especially when the Jedi themselves didn't try to actively educate others outside their about the force. Hel they've even closed themselves off from studying much of the powers that could be gleamed from it. The Dark s

I'm very confused about the argument of the last few pages. Have so few here ever heard of the HoloNet? It's still canon, you know...

Also want to throw in playing Pazaak as a favorite activity of mine. Pretty much trippled my stay on Taris in KOTOR...

14 hours ago, karaddin said:

To be fair to the PT (something I never expected to say) the love story is actually central to the plot, its the the weakness that lets Palps manipulate him. The problem isn't that the love story exists, its that its the most poorly executed love story ever.

I agree with you that the love story is central to the plot, like you I have an issue with the execution of it, and the amount of time it took up, it meant a lot of the fall of the Republic and rise of the Empire had to be crammed into just the one film :(.

10 hours ago, mormont said:

Luke’s maybe a special case; his aunt and uncle would have deliberately not told him of jedi, lightsabers etc. And pretty sure teachers wouldnt have if they wanted to stay employed

Archived