Star Wars: The Circle is Almost Complete

Myrddin

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

YOu say this like repetition for effect/comedic effect isnt a frequently used device in film and tv.

And even if its not one that works for you, hardly equivalent to the 7-9 hours of bad romance, nonsensical plotting and boring political blunders that is the prequels

While I dislike a lot of the prequels, one of them also had my favourite scene from any of the films so I feel conflicted.

2 hours ago, Jen'ari said:

While I dislike a lot of the prequels, one of them also had my favourite scene from any of the films so I feel conflicted.

Its a pretty well shot scene but i just can’t enjoy it because its brought about by such a contrived and awfully written plot. And also the movies do nothing to make me care about any of those i see being killed. 

You might argue the youngling scene is sad but its just one big eye roll for me. “You can’t kill this evil Sith who has already confessed to me because he must stand trial! Anything less would be unjust!” *5 minutes later* “MASSACRE SOME KIDDIES!”

29 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Its a pretty well shot scene but i just can’t enjoy it because its brought about by such a contrived and awfully written plot. And also the movies do nothing to make me care about any of those i see being killed. 

You might argue the youngling scene is sad but its just one big eye roll for me. “You can’t kill this evil Sith who has already confessed to me because he must stand trial! Anything less would be unjust!” *5 minutes later* “MASSACRE SOME KIDDIES!”

Umm if you are serious you kind of missed the point of why Anakin didn't want Palpatine killed.  The movie pretty much hit you over the head with it.  I'll give you a hint, it had nothing to do with a trial or lack thereof.

55 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

24 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Umm if you are serious you kind of missed the point of why Anakin didn't want Palpatine killed.  The movie pretty much hit you over the head with it.  I'll give you a hint, it had nothing to do with a trial or lack thereof.

Regardless of his motivation for keeping Palpatine alive, killing the children was ridiculous. Especially if you've watched The Clone Wars where the character isn't a total creep. If it'd happened after Padme's death then sure. 

Like I would love to see a scene of Sidious explaining to Anakin how the younglings had to die but he was still the good guy. 

47 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

"I need him!"

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

RIGht, i know that, but its a long jump from “i need him” to mass child murder

To fair to the prequels, I think they pretty clearly were going for the "there's no zealot like a convert" cliche with Anakin's rapid shift.  It may not have been articulated well, but there are plenty examples of the last two films emphasizing his absolutist type of thinking (can't think of any from TPM off the top of my head, but his character was pretty much just "precocious kid" in that one anyway).  

19 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Helena you know me, I’m not going to try and argue that the youngling scene was sad, the demise of the Jedi order was a highlight (I have refrained from cheering out loud when watching with others though) :P.

though the darth babykiller scene lacks subtlety, his trajectory is plain throughout: he kills kids in II; he violates his oath by getting married in II; he kills people in the CW unnecessarily, including the son on mortis; he assassinates lee in III; he assassinates jackson in III.  the rationale for the descent is similarly plain throughout: he feels cheated by the order's refusal to train in I; he feels held back by the order in II; he feels betrayed by the order in CW (regarding ahsoka); he feels cheated by the order in III.

Is it wrong to consider C-3PO as two beings that lived separate lives?

One being the droid created by Anakin, which lived up until the end of the Clone Wars (killed on the orders of the child murderer Bail Organa. C-3PO was only about 13 y/o at the time)

The second being the new consciousness that developed after he was reset back to factory settings.

13 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

One being the droid created by Anakin, which lived up until the end of the Clone Wars (killed on the orders of the child murderer Bail Organa. C-3PO was only about 13 y/o at the time)

LOL.  Doesn't sound wrong to me.

29 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

The second being the new consciousness that developed after he was reset back to factory settings.

I'm totally fine with his murder after just recently watching episode II. Cut out that whole factory scene with him and the movie gets....well shorter. 

In anticipation of The Rise of Skywalker I'm thinking of picking up the novel Star Wars: Resistance Reborn, which apparently follows the main characters in between TLJ and TRoS. I have a (bad) feeling that it will be required reading to not have to go WTF is going on here. If anyone mentions the title crawl... :fencing:

I've complained about Disney/LucasFilm's practices before on how they've handled the exposition of the lore. But if I dare call myself a fan, I should probably read it. (and the thousand other stuff that's out there) I may not have time to read it before the movie release, though.

It's written by Rebecca Roanhoarse, not fucking Chuck Wending, and the available sample gives me hope. Plus, we get more Leia, 'cause we know the movie won't be able to give us much. 

@Darth Richard II you've probably read it, right? Thoughts? (The novels thread in the Lit forum hasn't been active lately)

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

In anticipation of The Rise of Skywalker I'm thinking of picking up the novel Star Wars: Resistance Reborn, which apparently follows the main characters in between TLJ and TRoS. I have a (bad) feeling that it will be required reading to not have to go WTF is going on here. If anyone mentions the title crawl... :fencing:

I've complained about Disney/LucasFilm's practices before on how they've handled the exposition of the lore. But if I dare call myself a fan, I should probably read it. (and the thousand other stuff that's out there) I may not have time to read it before the movie release, though.

It's written by Rebecca Roanhoarse, not fucking Chuck Wending, and the available sample gives me hope. Plus, we get more Leia, 'cause we know the movie won't be able to give us much. 

@Darth Richard II you've probably read it, right? Thoughts? (The novels thread in the Lit forum hasn't been active lately)

Lady writers are dicey in the history of Star Wars. I mean, at least Karen Travis is just the absolute worst. I can't think of another one off the top of my head so maybe I shouldn't make such a broad generalization but goddamn was Travis terrible. Personally put a bullet in the brain of the Legacy of the Force series with her stupid Boba Fett obsession and terrible execution of the death of Mara Jade. And since I haven't thought of another lady writer while writing this paragraph I guess it's over.

2 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Lady writers are dicey in the history of Star Wars. I mean, at least Karen Travis is just the absolute worst. I can't think of another one off the top of my head so maybe I shouldn't make such a broad generalization but goddamn was Travis terrible. Personally put a bullet in the brain of the Legacy of the Force series with her stupid Boba Fett obsession and terrible execution of the death of Mara Jade. And since I haven't thought of another lady writer while writing this paragraph I guess it's over.

Claudia Gray has a written a few canon novels, and she's good.

Archived