Star Wars: The Circle is Almost Complete

Myrddin

Also off the top of my head, just from the old EU: Barbara Hambly, Christine Golden, Karen Miller, Martha Wells, A. C. Crispin.

And, opinions and all that, but I think Golden is by far the worst, turned Star Wars into some Twilight level romancey crap, and through in the existence of force rape for good measure.

@CorvinusI have not read Resistance Reborn yet though its sitting here on the pile, and I've heard real good things about it.

On 11/26/2019 at 12:18 AM, kuenjato said:

Just watched the clip of the ST heroes racing through the desert, stormtroopers in pursuit.

It's so, so, so bad. Prequels level bad. 

So I managed to miss this when it hit, but I just saw it and while I am not sure it is prequel bad, I'm genuinely quite cross about how badly JJ Abrams has managed to mess up Fury Road there.

On 11/26/2019 at 11:02 PM, polishgenius said:

I enjoy the implication that Sidious facetimed every single troop commander near a Jedi personally, one by one.

I think they went into this in Rebels. The clones had neural transponders or something which basically forced them to obey the order, which was disseminated down from the commanding officers. Several clone troopers had had theirs removed for medical reasons or damage and so weren't affected, and either refused to carry out the order or actively tried to save their Jedi.

Also off the top of my head, just from the old EU: Barbara Hambly, Christine Golden, Karen Miller, Martha Wells, A. C. Crispin.

Also the recently late Vonda McIntyre, a fine SF and Star Trek author but very, very bad at Star WarsThe Crystal Star was a poor novel (so was Hambly's Children of the Jedi for that matter).

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think they went into this in Rebels. The clones had neural transponders or something which basically forced them to obey the order, which was disseminated down from the commanding officers. Several clone troopers had had theirs removed for medical reasons or damage and so weren't affected, and either refused to carry out the order or actively tried to save their Jedi.

He means that Palps literally holo-phoned each kill squad. 

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I always had the impression that it was the same message that we were seeing and it was happening simultaneously...

He specifically refers to at least Commander Cody so that one at least is separate

21 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

He specifically refers to at least Commander Cody so that one at least is separate

Nah, it's just one of those shitty fill in the blank call scripts.

Dear
COMMANDER CODY

Please execute Order

SIX TY SIX

This is an attempt to collect a debt and this call may be monitored

There were over a thousand Jedi at the time of the Clone Wars, so I don't think it was feasible to call all of them. I think he made personal calls to the important kill-squads, the ones attached to the Council members, and then the rest got some kind of automated message.

So I'm holding out for time travel, but I think what we are really likely to see is a Vision  of the Future type situation in which Palpatine had a clone on a countdown timer and Rey and pals will need to destroy him before he's fully awake. I also envision Kylo and Rey teaming up (in the middle of a fight) against a partially-cloned Palpatine who Hux releases early in an attempt to ditch Ren.

So basically I think we either get time travel or the ending to The Mummy 2.

What are y'all thinking?

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

So I'm holding out for time travel, but I think what we are really likely to see is a Vision  of the Future type situation in which Palpatine had a clone on a countdown timer and Rey and pals will need to destroy him before he's fully awake. I also envision Kylo and Rey teaming up (in the middle of a fight) against a partially-cloned Palpatine who Hux releases early in an attempt to ditch Ren.

So basically I think we either get time travel or the ending to The Mummy 2.

What are y'all thinking?

I haven't' gotten around to the last season or two of Rebels, but I understand they did some time travel stuff there. In an episode with Palpatine no less. But I don't know the details. 

I started my re-watch of all the main Star Wars movies - in chronological order. I'm watching the TPM on Disney+. It looks like they have the version with added scenes, Director's Cut, or whatever it's called, the one that adds more somewhat unfinished CGI, which looks terrible, and overall the CGI of this has not aged well. However, everything that's not CGI looks quite good. I've stopped for now just after the end of the Tatooine events.

I get why the Trade Federation chose Naboo as the planet to go after for it being "upset" about the taxation of the trade routes, but what is so critical about Naboo that everyone else falls in line and doesn't question the Federation's move? Qui Gon is the only one suspicious about it, but all he says is that the Federation's move isn't logical, and never expands on it. 

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I get why the Trade Federation chose Naboo as the planet to go after for it being "upset" about the taxation of the trade routes, but what is so critical about Naboo that everyone else falls in line and doesn't question the Federation's move? Qui Gon is the only one suspicious about it, but all he says is that the Federation's move isn't logical, and never expands on it. 

I thought it was that palpatine was the senator from naboo. 

21 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I thought it was that palpatine was the senator from naboo. 

Yes, that's the reason why the Federation picked on Naboo. Palpatine is its senator, and he knows Amidala is young and easily manipulated into doing what she does - as leader of a world of the Republic she had the right to call a vote of no-confidence against the Chancellor, that got Palps elected afterwards. My question is why isn't anyone else going "Hey, why is the Federation picking on Naboo of all planets?" What's so critical about Naboo that everyone else accepted this?

The clones had neural transponders or something which basically forced them to obey the order, which was disseminated down from the commanding officers. Several clone troopers had had theirs removed for medical reasons or damage and so weren't affected, and either refused to carry out the order or actively tried to save their Jedi.

it's also in the clone wars cartoon, beginning here and concluding here.  it is heavily implied that the order is hardwired. am not sure why III shows the holographic communications--the cartoon makes them redundant.

I've been watching clone wars and just finished the arc with that asshole Jedi Krell

fucking with and eventually killing the clone troopers. The whole time I was thinking "Order 66 his ass!" But then when they actually went to take him down I realized what a terrible idea that was. He slaughtered dozens of them before finally being eaten by a plant.  I know they had the element of surprise with order 66 but still a lot of Jedi probably should have survived.  

Another little thing I noticed, isn't carbon freezing a living person a risky untested thing in Empire? That's why they test in on Solo? But there's a clone wars episode where Anikin and Obi-wan and some clones carbon freeze themselves with seemingly no concern whatsoever.

On 12/9/2019 at 2:12 PM, Corvinus said:

Yes, that's the reason why the Federation picked on Naboo. Palpatine is its senator, and he knows Amidala is young and easily manipulated into doing what she does - as leader of a world of the Republic she had the right to call a vote of no-confidence against the Chancellor, that got Palps elected afterwards. My question is why isn't anyone else going "Hey, why is the Federation picking on Naboo of all planets?" What's so critical about Naboo that everyone else accepted this?

I don't remember the details but Naboo is one of the planets that is supporting the new trade rules so the Trade Federation is blockading them.  As the Nemoidian guy says to Amidala. it's perfectly legal.  There's no real reason why anyone would need to check it out too closely as it would be like America blockading Halifax. because Trudeau made fun of their idiot President.  Once they find out (as all beurocracies do), they need to send a delegation to check it out because you can't just favour one side over the other.  At which point Amidala calls for a vote of no confidence in Valorum as per Palpatines plan.

Archived