Star Wars: The Circle is Almost Complete

Myrddin

Would a single Nemoidian be a Nemoy?   ("Fascinating.")

The plot specifics of the prequels seemed fine, the hangups were the darth child & teen actors they casted and then indulged.  So cutesy, so moody, so distracting from the space saga.   Jar Jar the quagmire, so lovable and hatable all at once.   The plot related thing that threw me a little bit was you had darth silverhair telling the jedi of a sith lord ruling the senate...... and then ten years later in episode 3 the jedi are still totally blindsided by a sith lord ruling the senate.  Uhhhhh, i don't think the jedi are covered for being that blind just by saying, "we were blind to the dark side" when they had the hottest of hot tips pointing them in the right direction.

2 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Would a single Nemoidian be a Nemoy?   ("Fascinating.")

The plot specifics of the prequels seemed fine, the hangups were the darth child & teen actors they casted and then indulged.  So cutesy, so moody, so distracting from the space saga.   Jar Jar the quagmire, so lovable and hatable all at once.   The plot related thing that threw me a little bit was you had darth silverhair telling the jedi of a sith lord ruling the senate...... and then ten years later in episode 3 the jedi are still totally blindsided by a sith lord ruling the senate.  Uhhhhh, i don't think the jedi are covered for being that blind just by saying, "we were blind to the dark side" when they had the hottest of hot tips pointing them in the right direction.

The real reason the Jedi fell was their utter laziness. In the first 2 prequels, they let a total of 2 Jedi do all the work to attempt to uncover all these conspiracies while the Council members sat on their asses, and only when war started they got involved, like a bunch of hill billies glad they finally could use their guns lightsabers.

In TPM

After Qui-Gon reported Maul's attack on Tatooine, Mace Windu tells him the Council will use all their resources to uncover the attacker's identity. Not much later, when Padme decides to return to Naboo, Windu tells Qui-Gon to go with her to uncover the attacker's identity. What happened to the earlier promise, Windu?

In AotC

They force Obi-Wan and Anakin to divide their forces, one to track down the bounty hunter, the other to continue to guard Padme, instead of assigning another Jedi for the tracking mission. Because they're spread too thin. Except in all those walking & talking moments we see dozens of Jedi just meandering about the Jedi Temple. 

They deserved their fate.

22 hours ago, RumHam said:

Another little thing I noticed, isn't carbon freezing a living person a risky untested thing in Empire? That's why they test in on Solo? But there's a clone wars episode where Anikin and Obi-wan and some clones carbon freeze themselves with seemingly no concern whatsoever.

That's actually one of my peeves about the carbon freezing thing for ages. In Empire freezing Luke was something Vader thought of at the spot and indeed he was very unsure about whether it would kill Luke or not. But the EU then went and treated it as the go-to-method for transporting prisoners. The Clone Wars did, the new Mandalorian show has him use a freezer to ice people, Knights of the Old Republic shows it being used by Bounty hunters thousands of years before Empire and the ending Star Wars Empire at War had one of the most ridiculous instances where after Endor the Nightsisters find a whole bloody Sith army frozen in carbonite for millennia that is portrayed as perfectly fine.

It annoys the hell out of me as well, but I guess by now it's a thing. Maybe you could headcanon Han's freezing as a necessary test run because the Bespin plant wasn't supposed to be used on people. Which is, I think to remember, something Lando actually said when he complained about this.

1 hour ago, Toth said:

That's actually one of my peeves about the carbon freezing thing for ages. In Empire freezing Luke was something Vader thought of at the spot and indeed he was very unsure about whether it would kill Luke or not. But the EU then went and treated it as the go-to-method for transporting prisoners. The Clone Wars did, the new Mandalorian show has him use a freezer to ice people, Knights of the Old Republic shows it being used by Bounty hunters thousands of years before Empire and the ending Star Wars Empire at War had one of the most ridiculous instances where after Endor the Nightsisters find a whole bloody Sith army frozen in carbonite for millennia that is portrayed as perfectly fine.

It annoys the hell out of me as well, but I guess by now it's a thing. Maybe you could headcanon Han's freezing as a necessary test run because the Bespin plant wasn't supposed to be used on people. Which is, I think to remember, something Lando actually said when he complained about this.

I think that is the way to look at it, that Bespin didn't have the right equipment to freeze someone properly, so they had to jury-rig something up to do it which needed to be tested.     Leia telling Han he had hibernation sickness causing his blindness when he was thawed out would indicate that the process was common enough that the effects when you were released were well known.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

The real reason the Jedi fell was their utter laziness. In the first 2 prequels, they let a total of 2 Jedi do all the work to attempt to uncover all these conspiracies while the Council members sat on their asses, and only when war started they got involved, like a bunch of hill billies glad they finally could use their guns lightsabers.

In TPM

After Qui-Gon reported Maul's attack on Tatooine, Mace Windu tells him the Council will use all their resources to uncover the attacker's identity. Not much later, when Padme decides to return to Naboo, Windu tells Qui-Gon to go with her to uncover the attacker's identity. What happened to the earlier promise, Windu?

In AotC

They force Obi-Wan and Anakin to divide their forces, one to track down the bounty hunter, the other to continue to guard Padme, instead of assigning another Jedi for the tracking mission. Because they're spread too thin. Except in all those walking & talking moments we see dozens of Jedi just meandering about the Jedi Temple. 

They deserved their fate.

Something better-explained in the spin-off material is that there's only about a thousand Jedi around to put out fires across an entire galaxy presumably similar in size to our own. There's 1 Jedi per 100 million star systems. Or, in the old canon, the Empire had 24 Star Destroyers per Jedi at the time of the fall of the Republic.

Although I never entirely bought how few Jedi there are, given how every one and their uncle we meet has Force powers.

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Grain of salt and all, but supposedly they're already filming the next live action star wars show and it's not Kenobi. It's about an archaeologist from the star wars comics named Doctor Aphra who once worked for Vader. 

https://www.inverse.com/article/61649-star-wars-disney-plus-doctor-aphra-2020-jason-ward

So i guess Disney found a way to rope Harrison Ford back into the SW universe afterall. Presenting, for your sins, Indiana Jones and the Crossover of Doom!

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

A column here on the risk of bringing Palpatine back.  

I hadn't even thought about this but do agree that it potentially really diminishes the end of Return of the Jedi.  

Fair point.

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

I hadn't even thought about this but do agree that it potentially really diminishes the end of Return of the Jedi.  

Diminishing it more than rolling back all of its achievements with a paragraph of opening scroll? Hardly...

My original plans for the back-to-back viewing with RoS at midnight didn’t pan out due to work, unfortunately. However, i have been building up my time off in lieu which i have used to take a half day on thursday. There are a crazy number of viewings (or, Vueings, heh, there’s a cinema chain pun for you for free ;) ) throughout the day, like one every 20 minutes or so. I have managed to find a relatively quiet (for now!) screening on screen 1 (i.e. the biggest, with the comfiest seats, best sound etc.) very excited 

7 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

My original plans for the back-to-back viewing with RoS at midnight didn’t pan out due to work, unfortunately. However, i have been building up my time off in lieu which i have used to take a half day on thursday. There are a crazy number of viewings (or, Vueings, heh, there’s a cinema chain pun for you for free ;) ) throughout the day, like one every 20 minutes or so. I have managed to find a relatively quiet (for now!) screening on screen 1 (i.e. the biggest, with the comfiest seats, best sound etc.) very excited 

I'm super jelly. 

Not gonna be seeing it until the Monday after release.

On 12/11/2019 at 9:33 PM, Werthead said:

Something better-explained in the spin-off material is that there's only about a thousand Jedi around to put out fires across an entire galaxy presumably similar in size to our own. There's 1 Jedi per 100 million star systems. Or, in the old canon, the Empire had 24 Star Destroyers per Jedi at the time of the fall of the Republic.

Although I never entirely bought how few Jedi there are, given how every one and their uncle we meet has Force powers.

All this does is further point out their inefficiency, the Sith made do with just two in the entire galaxy :P.

1 hour ago, Jen'ari said:

All this does is further point out their inefficiency, the Sith made do with just two in the entire galaxy :P.

True, but it wasn't the Sith's job to keep peace and order through the galaxy, which requires more numbers. The Sith's job was to sow division and chaos, which they could have accomplished with a single Facebook account.

19 hours ago, Triskele said:

JJ at the helm...I'm going with diminishes, if not outright blows out of the water...oh I'm gonna watch, and it might be a fun film, but I fully expect them to not stick the landing...it's amazing how far down JJ has lowered the bar of my expectations...

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

True, but it wasn't the Sith's job to keep peace and order through the galaxy, which requires more numbers. The Sith's job was to sow division and chaos, which they could have accomplished with a single Facebook account.

I'm not sure a mere Facebook account would have done it, clearly high speed Holo Net access was required though.

On 12/14/2019 at 3:07 PM, RumHam said:

Grain of salt and all, but supposedly they're already filming the next live action star wars show and it's not Kenobi. It's about an archaeologist from the star wars comics named Doctor Aphra who once worked for Vader. 

https://www.inverse.com/article/61649-star-wars-disney-plus-doctor-aphra-2020-jason-ward

Blech.  I get the comics, and I dread the Dr. Aphra ones.  I find her beyond irritating as a character, and the two other persistent characters are "evil" versions of C-3P0 and R2-D2 that are also very annoying.

I am pretty proud of myself. Back in summer, I said I would stop watching trailers and scene previews, and try very hard to avoid spoiler conversations. I have a coworker who is desperate to complain about stuff he's seen, and conclusions he has made, but he is honoring my overt death threats if he tells me anything. I'm pretty surprised they seem to have kept major spoilers under wraps (then again, the fact I'm desperately hiding from them means I am also avoiding anything hinting, so perhaps they're out there and I've happily missed em).

So, just three nights from now I've a perfect seat waiting! I am getting very hyped up, and firmly inserting my head in the sand the next 72 hours. I fully expect to think it was absolutely amazing when walking out of the theater, then the next day or two over-analyzing the shit out of everything and letting whatever is bugging people now start to bother me afterwards.

Whoa.   Old movie new find- - -  The Force Awakens includes as one of its easter eggs the Disney debut of Beta Ray Bill!   When they were attacking the planet that sucks stars so it can kill planets, Bill is one of the alien X-Wing pilots they threw in as a gag crossover promotion from Marvel's Thor cast of characters. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

I took a pic of his donkey mug in a helmet but this site wants a link for pics and that made me lose interest.

Spoilers are out there folks, be careful. 

I couldn't resist reading about the appearance of a certain clone wars character JJ Abrams recently suggested might be in the movie. Keeping this a vague as possible but it's still a spoiler. 

Apparently there's a moment where Rey hears Anakin, Obi-wan, Mace, Yoda, and... Ashoka. So I guess she didn't make it

:( And Sam Jackson isn't getting his Mace Windu survived show. 

Archived