Star Wars: The Circle is Almost Complete

Myrddin

Count me among those who is not excited for the return of Palpatine, and I have trouble seeing why anyone would be, given that one of the biggest complaints about The Force Awakens is that it retread old ground. I think his return does rob a lot of power from the ending of Return of the Jedi too. But I guess we'll all see in a few days... hopefully he's just a force ghost.

I'm also not too heartened that JJ Abrams seems to have viewed it as his mission in this movie to walk back on developments in The Last Jedi. I know I liked that movie more than most and a lot of what it did, but even for those who didn't... too much narrative whiplash can't be good.

Reviews are out, and apparently its a classic JJ Abrams mess. I now feel bad for Johnson, he should have made a standalone film instead involving himself with fraud that is Abrams. Disney are at fault for hiring that scam artist. I still cannot believe they commissioned a trilogy without laying out the plot. Crazy.

It'll be interesting to see the circular firing squad on this.

Ultimate blame must lie with Disney and Lucasfilm for their notion of letting a director of the middle movie to do a thing that was largely in a very different direction from what the first film laid down, that wasn't going to then be followed through by the same director or at least by a director who intended to stick with that new line rather than trying to bend things back to the arc as they originally intended. They really messed up. They either needed to commit to RJ's vision or they needed to tell him to take direction from JJ, and they did neither. 

Then J.J. has to take blame for not seeking, demanding, and/or thinking he needed to increase his control over the trilogy to make sure something crazy didn't happen, but then Lucasfilm surely had more stewardship over this. And then it's clear he's made a manic attempt to "fix" things that fails as a movie.

And Rian Johnson has to take blame for trying to throw things in a new direction in the 8th film in a 9 film story in which he wasn't even going to end up having control over that 9th film (IIRC, it was planned, but the TLJ fall out led JJ coming in, right?), but then he can point to Abrams for having done too much rehashing and to Lucasfilm for letting him get away with it without pushing back enough to get the line they wanted.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

And Rian Johnson has to take blame for trying to throw things in a new direction in the 8th film in a 9 film story in which he wasn't even going to end up having control over that 9th film (IIRC, it was planned, but the TLJ fall out led JJ coming in, right?), but then he can point to Abrams for having done too much rehashing and to Lucasfilm for letting him get away with it without pushing back enough to get the line they wanted.

Colin Trevorrow was going to direct IX, but he was fired. I don’t think Johnson was ever involved in it.

I’m seeing this tomorrow and I’m honestly not excited, despite really enjoying VIII.

This.. does not sound good. I hope everyone who sent in death threats and bombarded peoples' twitter accounts because The Last Jedi tried to do new things and add moral complexity to its characters is happy. Now we can avoid creativity in Star Wars forever!

I don't hate Abrams as much as many in this thread, but I am severely disappointed that he apparently learned no lessons from The Force Awakens.

24 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Colin Trevorrow was going to direct IX, but he was fired. I don’t think Johnson was ever involved in it.

I’m seeing this tomorrow and I’m honestly not excited, despite really enjoying VIII.

Ahh, I'm thinking of the fact that Johnson was set to write the story treatment for IX, and then after Trevorrow was hired, they dropped Johnson's treatment entirely and he said he wasn't involved in the writing. Which I presume is the case with this current film. So it seems they had a notion of letting RJ think of it was a two-film denoument to the whole thing, and then they changed course not once, but twice. Disastrous decision, it seems, for the reputation of this franchise. 

Caligula_K3,

Spoiler

I suspect he felt forced to dig back into the OT because Johnson killed Snoke off and that changed what he had envisioned for the three films. I'm not even sure the story for Rey that spoilers indicate is what he had originally planned, to be honest, though who knows if he had any particular plan at all (another reason why Abrams shouldn't really be your architect for anything -- he doesn't feel like he even has to answer mysteries for himself, much less the audience). 

Jesus, the reviews really are p1ss poor.  This may be the first Star Wars film I haven't seen in the cinema (albeit I was under 2 and didn't know what was happening for the first one).  Bad reviews, combined with finding time in the busy holiday period will probably conspire to keep me well away from this.

I was thinking about going to a midnight showing, there were still a few seats earlier when I looked but I’ve changed my mind, I will go and see it another day, even the return of my favourite character hasn’t got me that buoyed up about it anymore.

Normally I would be very concerned about the poor reviews but Episode VIII (or as I call it, Hipster Star Wars) got glowing reviews and I absolutely despised it. So I'll see it sometime in the next week and frankly be glad the whole thing is over. TLJ pretty much killed my joy for it all. I do watch The Mandalorian but it's not appointment viewing. I'm a few episodes behind and will probably watch them on an upcoming flight to Texas. 

For the first time in my life I will not be going to see a SWs film in the theater.  The other month I decided I'd read the spoilers and make a final determination and reading the spoilers yesterday pretty much sealed this for me.  This is just in a direction I have no interest in following.  I'm very bummed about this because SWs has been such a large factor in my popular culture life with the movies and books.  I remember in high school sitting around with my friend and making up stories about what happened after ROTJ.  There were rumors about Lucas having ideas for a 9 story arc but it was more than unlikely they would ever happen.  Then the books with post ROTJ storylines which seemed the most we could ever hope for.  But then the prequels.  And then at last these movies.  Even though it wasn't what I was hoping for, I did enjoy TFA but that's the end for me and at this point I'm going to go back to the disregarded by Disney books where Luke is still alive and we have Jaina, Anakin and Jacen Solo as the next generation.  That will be the storyline for me.  For me, my interest has always been Luke.

I'm glad for those of you who have and continue to enjoy this trilogy.  I hope those of you who go to see TROS this week enjoy it.

It's a shame about the reviews but I didn't have a great deal of confidence in Abrams to begin with. I was never going to have time to see it over the next couple of weeks anyway but I'll probably try and catch it at the cinema once the Christmas holidays are over.

3 hours ago, Trebla said:

Normally I would be very concerned about the poor reviews but Episode VIII (or as I call it, Hipster Star Wars) got glowing reviews and I absolutely despised it. So I'll see it sometime in the next week and frankly be glad the whole thing is over. TLJ pretty much killed my joy for it all. I do watch The Mandalorian but it's not appointment viewing. I'm a few episodes behind and will probably watch them on an upcoming flight to Texas. 

This is almost exactly my sentiments. I don't even hate all of The Last Jedi. There's some truly awesome stuff in that movie. But the stuff that's garbage is... extremely garbage. Say what you want about Attack of the Clones, but at least it knew what Star Wars is supposed to be. 

Only difference is that I'll be seeing this I think on Friday, but it might be tomorrow. We already bought tickets at the bestest eat-in place in town. 

The gist of what got deleted was good advice: to go into this movie dispassionately and just ride the ride as is, watch it for the ooohs and ahhhs without expecting anything too Lucas-y or for it to "fix" itself at this late stage.  Let this Christmas turkey spread its wings and flap up up and away into deep space.   

I did want to add one thing that I do like about the new trilogy - it has brought Mark Hamill back to the public eye.

I admit I totally crushed on Mark Hamill when I was 7 years old.  I had stickers of him all over my school folders.  Even when I got older and all my school friends switched their allegiance to Harrison Ford, I stayed true.  It's always hard to watch actors/actresses who come into their popularity due to one iconic role continue their success in Hollywood.  It's a tough hurdle to overcome and a lot don't make it.  And let's face it, not all turn out to be people you really want to continue to root for.  And a lot are really not great actors but for that one role.  It was pretty hard to watch Mark Hamill in the ensuring years.  Kind of sad joke for many.  But he continued on and did what work he could get from voice work to a parody of himself in that Kevin Smith film.

But after TFA and his non speaking role but oh so soulful look on the cliff, all my friends looked at me and were like, oh helloooooo, damn he looks good!!!!! And I was all uhhhh where have you all been these past 30 years?  And suddenly Mark Hamill was cool again.  A cultural icon.  He won't ever be a great actor or get really challenging interesting roles but he is no longer someone to make fun of or feel sorry for.  And its has been great to see he is still married to his wife and has good relationship with his kids and he does lots of wonderful charity work with sick children.  And despite what must be his obvious disappointment over his limited role in this new trilogy, but for a few minimal cryptic comments, he has remained pretty classy about this whole thing, just seemingly grateful for the fans and the work he does get to do.  7 year old me made a good choice.

Archived