Star Wars: The Circle is Almost Complete

Myrddin

Public service announcement: certain Verizon customers can get Disney+ for free for the first year. I have the Unlimited plan which got me this deal. There are other ways, like switching to Verizon Fios. End of announcement. (Glad I remembered this so I signed up for Disney+ today)

21 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Public service announcement: certain Verizon customers can get Disney+ for free for the first year. I have the Unlimited plan which got me this deal. There are other ways, like switching to Verizon Fios. End of announcement. (Glad I remembered this so I signed up for Disney+ today)

Same.

It’s not that difficult to sign up. Just log in to your Verizon account if you have unlimited and activate Disney Plus. Took all of 5 minutes.  Just be sure you cancel it in a year if you don’t want that monthly payment. 

This breakdown of the various ST teasers and trailers does a great job of analysing exactly how they're manipulating us (as all marketing aims to do) into being excited by these trailer reveals.

And it really reinforced what I already thought, which is that the people making these trailers are some of the best at their craft. I definitely think that pretty much everything covered, especially the notes touching on saying goodbye to Leia, are intentional and speak very much to my emotional reception of these last two movies. The use of the counter melody from Leia's theme in particular seems a very clever and delicate way to evoke this absence.

Remembered to post this after the conversation in the Mandalorian thread as I thought Relic might be interested in this break down of how we are played like an instrument.

• 2 weeks later...

After rewatching the OT, I’ve decided the average Storm Trooper is too damn nice. 

Quit capturing people and just shoot them on sight!

How many times do y’all have to get killed by escaped prisoners before you figure it out?

Im starting to believe they aren’t even bad shots. They just miss on purpose because most of them don’t want to kill people. 

I saw it too. What was wrong with it? Hardly edge of your seat stuff but it harsly warrants a label of prequel level bad. Kind of reminded me of the speeder chase on Endor in VI.

I suspect the clip takes place at the beginning, after a title crawl explaining how the Resistance has worked tirelessly to spark hope among the downtrodden and show defiance to the First Order, etc. Etc. Pan down onto a planet (have to confess i thouht it was Jakku) and begin scene

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I saw it too. What was wrong with it? Hardly edge of your seat stuff but it harsly warrants a label of prequel level bad. Kind of reminded me of the speeder chase on Endor in VI.

The only bad part I would say it has is the repetitive line of dialogue for comedic effect. But the visuals were fine + a new vehicle for the stormtroopers and jetpacks. 

Not only do the filmmakers not trust the audience with visual information, they have to repeat it three times for "comedic" effect. Does not bode well for the movie as a whole.

I feel bad for the main cast, they're all good. Way better than what these hacks are giving them.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

(have to confess i thouht it was Jakku) and begin scene

Considering ANH and then RotJ both started on Tatooine, starting TFA and RoS on the same planet is exactly the kind of symmetry I’d expect.

36 minutes ago, Rhom said:

My friends and I got our tickets today.  We will be there on the 19th at 9:45 EST.

Doing the dine-in, right baby? Imma be hotboxing like a motherfucker with my friends and then we're all going to eat Steak Frites while the gang goes back in time to rescue the force or some shit. It's gonna be great. Even the steak. First time I went to this place I ordered the steak out of curiosity. I was going to get a milkshake anyway, but the theater was so nice I thought I'd give their beef a try. And by the rippling chest of the All Father Zeus, it was a delightful fare indeed and has been ever since. Helps that the place is in a mall and I think the restaurant next door serves the meals.

I can't believe these dine-in things haven't existed forever.

Solo has been seen!     I like how it tried to do something different.   The characters were allowed to be themselves and act like the thieves they were.  Now I'd like to know what the film was kept from being (the original LordMiller vision).  The trilogy in contrast gave us characters not being themselves, Ren and Rey staring at each other across the galaxy to no effect, Ren saying "i'm moody" and Rey answering, "i'm indignant."   (Which left me feeling both, thus the film left it to us to balance the force out for Kathleen.)    Whereas Solo got out of neutral and ironically had more of a sense of motion to it than the film about a space chase. 

That odd kessel run fog cloud region of space was so odd that you kinda stopped even trying to apply physics to it.  Which helped get that scene past me, compared to the more noticeable physics oddity of having rebel bombers in space dropping bombs using the gravity model...... in a gravity-free zone.   The new space kraken rocked, but how did it get around?  Enough to feed i mean.  Because... it seemed to lack FTL or jet propulsion, and yet was keeping itself from falling into the event horizon for quite a while..... ya know?   Pure strength.   It must be juicing real hard on the space roids.  Anyways, points for trying and at least halfway succeeding at entertaining.

On 11/9/2019 at 5:19 PM, DMC said:

If by opera you mean really fucking weird presentation that suggests a lot of coruscant's high society was on hallucinogenics.

They had so many alien species in the audience with so many kinds of eyes, there would be a race to find which visuals blew the minds of bug species with compound eyes while also looking graceful and scintillating to humans.  Classy.   And good for three headed stoners at the same time, with something for each head to enjoy separately.

2 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

The new space kraken rocked, but how did it get around?  Enough to feed i mean.  Because... it seemed to lack FTL or jet propulsion

There are space-dwelling creatures in the SW universe with natural FTL capabilities, though I'm not sure the kraken is one of them. And I assume a lot of large creatures have natural antigrav-type capabilities that allow them to fly around. (This explains why they like eating spaceships - they're very rich in the vitamins and minerals required by the relevant organs.)

5 hours ago, kuenjato said:

Not only do the filmmakers not trust the audience with visual information, they have to repeat it three times for "comedic" effect. Does not bode well for the movie as a whole.

I feel bad for the main cast, they're all good. Way better than what these hacks are giving them.

YOu say this like repetition for effect/comedic effect isnt a frequently used device in film and tv.

And even if its not one that works for you, hardly equivalent to the 7-9 hours of bad romance, nonsensical plotting and boring political blunders that is the prequels

6 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

YOu say this like repetition for effect/comedic effect isnt a frequently used device in film and tv.

And even if its not one that works for you, hardly equivalent to the 7-9 hours of bad romance, nonsensical plotting and boring political blunders that is the prequels

Not just bad romance, 'Natalie Portman being a bit noncey' bad romance.  

I'll admit, the clip did strike me as deeply underwhelming. The effort at humor felt forced and repetitious, as others said.  I think the editing may be at fault -- there's about four cuts that I think are great because they have room to breathe, but there's another half dozen where it's doing the modern, rapid fire thing which I think detracts from the moment. If it were me, I think it'd have been better to keep the camera on the actors as they see those sandbike things throw the jetpack guys into the air, and basically get the reaction shot from the whole moment of C-3PO and Finn gawping as the troopers launch into the air, and then a moment to process they have jetpacks, and then the turn to Poe. Instead, the camera moves away from the heroes to focus the stormtroopers and so we don't get their initial, "WTF are they doing?" when the bikes pull their reverse wheelie.

My immediate reaction when it ended, in any case, was, "Oh, J.J..." I don't think it necessarily says anything about the film itself, but I don't think it's wrong to suggest there were sequences that were similarly underwhelming in those films.

Still, I have tickets for the film the day after it premieres in Sweden. This'll be the last SW film I'll watch on its opening week, I suspect.

10 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Doing the dine-in, right baby? Imma be hotboxing like a motherfucker with my friends and then we're all going to eat Steak Frites while the gang goes back in time to rescue the force or some shit. It's gonna be great. Even the steak. First time I went to this place I ordered the steak out of curiosity. I was going to get a milkshake anyway, but the theater was so nice I thought I'd give their beef a try. And by the rippling chest of the All Father Zeus, it was a delightful fare indeed and has been ever since. Helps that the place is in a mall and I think the restaurant next door serves the meals.

I can't believe these dine-in things haven't existed forever.

It’s a dangerous ballet going to these later shows now that I’ve hit 40... a leather recliner?  A dark room?  Alcohol?  Rich foods?

At home, that’s a recipe for me to close my eyes and then realize it’s 3AM and I never went to bed...

Archived