Doctor Who II

AncalagonTheBlack

3 minutes ago, john said:

Ouch, did he do Camelot, didn’t know that one. :P

Yes, he was the showrunner for that. In terms of shows he was in charge of it's pretty much at the opposite end of the quality spectrum from Broadchurch.

You want your church to be broad.  It's all about the buttressing without which your transcept is too narrow to support worship.  You want a knave to feel awed by your nave or they end up navel gazing and miss out on the nativity.

This season is starting off big like I got accustomed to from watching Who marathons.   So that's good.   That new guy is no Missy, but then who among us is.   The family of doctor-helpers is starting to get laughs too, after being merely British most of the time last year.   Nice start.

12 hours ago, williamjm said:

I thought his earlier Dr Who episodes were decent episodes, I was more concerned about his terrible contributions to Torchwood and Camelot (although the first season of Broadchurch was excellent).

He’s the one responsible for Cyberwoman, yes?

The second part was weird because the Doctor essentially solved the problem off-screen while the companions ran around doing literally nothing, but somehow it worked. Helped along by a brilliantly menacing performance by Sacha Dhawan.

Another major twist/shock reveal in that Chibnall has decided that he didn't like Moffatt undoing the destruction of Gallifrey and just destroyed it again, albeit this time via the Master. Alls more hints about the Timeless Child, possibly an arc this season?

Spoiler

But Timothy Dalton was so rad as the lord of timelords!  They tossed that tosser to the wind?!    I liked how he wore that royal red sarape and leaned in toward the camera a bit with the crazy gleam in his eyes like Hell yes we're nutty enough to end time, just watch!     Now it's all busted up, their civilization's one big building.  Tis a shame.   .....i feel something welling up inside me..... here goes:  Ah, bluuuudy hell! 

(I hope i did it right)

37 minutes ago, mormont said:

Is it just me, or was that a pretty terrible episode all round?

It definitely wasn't good. Rubbish monsters, confused world-building and annoying supporting characters. I do appreciate the message they were trying to convey, but I feel it could have been done better and in a way that's a bit more consistent with the 'future history' we've seen before on the show.

I think this is the weakest episode so far of Jodie Whittaker's Doctor.

I haven't watched it yet but it's funny how after last season was probably the most consistent of new-Who while not the strongest, this year they've gone from giving us arguably the strongest story of Chibnall's season yet right into what is almost universally already being considered the weakest by miles.

The first third of the episode was highly promising and then it went for a wander into cliche. Also not sure why they decided that Earth being abandoned and the ruins inhabited by mutant survivors was a "possible future" when in fact previous Who canon firmly establishes this is the ultimate fate of Earth in c. 10,000 years in the Tom Baker era. It'd have been easy to tie in with that.

Also some basic poor direction, and a bit of a waste of a highly promising Laura Fraser.

But worst episode ever, as it's being called in various places? It's a long way from being the worst episode of the last five years, let alone the entirety of Nu-Who or "ever". These people need to sit down and watch Delta and the Bannermen a few dozen times.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Also not sure why they decided that Earth being abandoned and the ruins inhabited by mutant survivors was a "possible future" when in fact previous Who canon firmly establishes this is the ultimate fate of Earth in c. 10,000 years in the Tom Baker era. It'd have been easy to tie in with that.

I think they specifically wanted it to be near future, as a consequence of failing to address climate change. I have reservations about the future being in flux to that extent without any kind of explanation.

2 hours ago, felice said:

I think they specifically wanted it to be near future, as a consequence of failing to address climate change. I have reservations about the future being in flux to that extent without any kind of explanation.

Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey. All the explanation you need :)

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

The first third of the episode was highly promising and then it went for a wander into cliche. Also not sure why they decided that Earth being abandoned and the ruins inhabited by mutant survivors was a "possible future" when in fact previous Who canon firmly establishes this is the ultimate fate of Earth in c. 10,000 years in the Tom Baker era. It'd have been easy to tie in with that.

Also some basic poor direction, and a bit of a waste of a highly promising Laura Fraser.

But worst episode ever, as it's being called in various places? It's a long way from being the worst episode of the last five years, let alone the entirety of Nu-Who or "ever". These people need to sit down and watch Delta and the Bannermen a few dozen times.

Or the truly offensiveLove andMonsters

I thought the latest episode was a lot better than the Orphan 55 episode, although that wasn't a hard thing to achieve. It was a solidly entertaining story without really standing out. The portrayal of the Tesla/Edison rivalry was probably the more interesting part of the episode, the aliens were more effective before we really saw them.

I think the "no one's heard of Tesla!" thing is a bit old now when we've had multiple video games featuring his technology, a novel and a major film of that novel (starring David Bowie as Tesla) and about 30,000 thinkpieces saying, "Hey, Edison stole his ideas from Tesla!" in just the last two decades.

Okay episode, again started off well and then kind of collapsed at the end. The alien queen bad guy was pure pantomime.

Yeah the motherfuckers act like they forgot about Tesla bits were dumb. They were literally just talking about the cars a few hours ago and then they're like, so sad he's totally unknown in our day.

To be fair, the overlap of people who recognise the name 'Tesla' as an electric car brand and those who know it's after Nikola Tesla (and why he was important) is very far from 100%. Tesla is better known than he was, but the average person on the street couldn't tell you much about him. 

Agreed that the episode was far, far stronger than last week's: probably the best of this series so far. 

On 1/2/2020 at 8:33 PM, john said:

It was a good looking episode.  I thought the new cinematic approach was a bit hit and miss in the last series but it really worked here (barring the odd bit of BBC naffness like bullets repeatedly pinging off the frame of the motorbike).

It was also good fun, the best it’s been for a while.

Hide contents

I’m thinking this Master is possibly from another universe, along with the glowing aliens.  Alternatively Missy survived her imminent death and went right back to being stereotypically evil.

after today’s episode *my* theory makes a lot more sense ;)

Archived