Doctor Who II

AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, john said:

Suranne Jones is possibly too high calibre a star for the Doctor now, she only does leading roles and she’s never shy of a part.

She's a very well-known UK TV actresses, sure, but it's highly arguable if her profile is higher than Peter Capaldi's, and certainly it was not on a par with Christopher Eccleston when he took on the role. She is not really well-known outside of the UK though, so if she wants a bigger international profile it might be worth considering that Who could do that, although I believe Gentleman Jack has done okay on HBO in the States as well.

It would be interesting, though, if the Doctor regenerated into...a duplicate of the sentient mind of the TARDIS?

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

if she wants a bigger international profile it might be worth considering that Who could do that

The question of whether she wants DW fan attention for the rest of her life is possibly a more important consideration.

It would be interesting, though, if the Doctor regenerated into...a duplicate of the sentient mind of the TARDIS?

It wouldn't be the first time the Doctor has regenerated into the form of someone they've previously encountered - there's Maxil (Colin Baker) and Caecilius (Peter Capaldi). Plus Romana took the appearance of Princess Astra, and other incarnations have met "coincidental" duplicates of themselves that could have influenced the regeneration non-linearly. The body inhabited by the TARDIS seems like a prime candidate for the Doctor's subconscious to latch on to.

6 hours ago, felice said:

The question of whether she wants DW fan attention for the rest of her life is possibly a more important consideration.

It wouldn't be the first time the Doctor has regenerated into the form of someone they've previously encountered - there's Maxil (Colin Baker) and Caecilius (Peter Capaldi). Plus Romana took the appearance of Princess Astra, and other incarnations have met "coincidental" duplicates of themselves that could have influenced the regeneration non-linearly. The body inhabited by the TARDIS seems like a prime candidate for the Doctor's subconscious to latch on to.

Capaldi also played a civil servant (?) in Torchwood’s 3rd season.

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

She's a very well-known UK TV actresses, sure, but it's highly arguable if her profile is higher than Peter Capaldi's, and certainly it was not on a par with Christopher Eccleston when he took on the role. She is not really well-known outside of the UK though, so if she wants a bigger international profile it might be worth considering that Who could do that, although I believe Gentleman Jack has done okay on HBO in the States as well.

That would be the perfect way to honour the TARDIS and his love for her.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

Best news ever!

Yeah, definitely happy about it. He's one of the best screenwriters the UK has. I've no idea if I'll love or even like his next run, but I'm sure that I might enjoy disliking something by him more than the flat indifference and boredom I felt during Chris Chibnall's era. 

Davies is a safe pair of hands to handle the 60th anniversary, which I think is the idea. A new showrunner with a fresh vision for the show completely divorced from the 2005-10 team would be great (Chibnall is very much the D-tier of RTD's initial crop of recruited writers; for some reason they skipped the A-tier writer, Paul Cornell, and B-tier Gatiss altogether), but maybe them having to immediately produce the 60th anniversary season/special might be asking a bit much.

It looks like Davies is going to helm one season in 2023 in a caretaker role and to select the 14th Doctor, with an option to stay on afterwards if he enjoys it.

Much more significant, to be honest, is Bad Wolf Productions taking over the actual production of the series. As an independent production company they can reach deals with companies like HBO or BBC America to inject a lot more money into the show, which has been a key problem. That's how their last project, His Dark Materials got such a great budget despite being produced by the BBC, because they were able to get HBO on board as well.

Bit weird. Davies is undeniably one of the best screenwriters Britain’s got, he’s only got better since 2010 and he’s the best showrunner new Who had. But still, you’d think they might give a chance to some of that diverse new talent they’re so keen to feature.

It feels like this unofficial policy they had of handing it off to the stalwarts in the writing team kind of bit them in the ass. Maybe in this new Bad Wolf setup they have it won’t be so hands on for the showrunner.  If anybody’s read RTD’s book, The Writer’s Tale, he gives the impression he absolutely hated the job a lot of the time, I can’t imagine he’d willingly go back to that kind of pressure.

41 minutes ago, john said:

Bit weird. Davies is undeniably one of the best screenwriters Britain’s got, he’s only got better since 2010 and he’s the best showrunner new Who had. But still, you’d think they might give a chance to some of that diverse new talent they’re so keen to feature.

It feels like this unofficial policy they had of handing it off to the stalwarts in the writing team kind of bit them in the ass. Maybe in this new Bad Wolf setup they have it won’t be so hands on for the showrunner.  If anybody’s read RTD’s book, The Writer’s Tale, he gives the impression he absolutely hated the job a lot of the time, I can’t imagine he’d willingly go back to that kind of pressure.

Bad Wolf has some serious talent working there, so that's a probability. Also, working with Bad Wolf means making the show he wants to and the end project is effectively sold to the BBC. The BBC will be much less involved in the day-to-day, which means less bureaucracy and hassle.

But to be honest I think the answer is that RTD is looking at this like a caretaker role. He comes in for the anniversary and can bail afterwards. He has some wriggle room to stay on if he's enjoying it and decides his second stint can do things he couldn't in his first.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That was pretty much par for the course for recent Doctor Who: slightly nonsensical, hoping enthusiasm and energy makes up for very vague plotting. Some interesting ideas with the TARDIS/real-world interface being disrupted, so the door keeps appearing in weird places.

Setting up a single six-episode storyline does mean they can throw a lot of ideas out there. It looks like the story is going to involve the new dog aliens, the Division, a new alien duo that the Doctor apparently fought in one of their forgotten incarnations, Sontarans, Weeping Angels and presumably the kitchen sink.

33 minutes ago, Werthead said:

That was pretty much par for the course for recent Doctor Who: slightly nonsensical, hoping enthusiasm and energy makes up for very vague plotting. Some interesting ideas with the TARDIS/real-world interface being disrupted, so the door keeps appearing in weird places.

Setting up a single six-episode storyline does mean they can throw a lot of ideas out there. It looks like the story is going to involve the new dog aliens, the Division, a new alien duo that the Doctor apparently fought in one of their forgotten incarnations, Sontarans, Weeping Angels and presumably the kitchen sink.

At least the daleks will be well-equipped to unblock it

On 10/12/2021 at 3:34 PM, SpaceChampion said:

The new DW series is called The Flux?  I really hope this isn't about explosive diarrhea.

Sounds as if the explosive diarrhoea version might have been an improvement. 

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

I like the new dog aliens. 

The trouble is that dog aliens are just one word away from perfection. 

It was a fun episode even if it was a bit manic, I'm a bit worried that they're trying to cram far too many things into a single storyline.

Wow that is a lot happening. Ultimately it's impossible to say how good it was till we know where it's going, but I'll give it that it has the same kind of joyous energy as Fugitive of the Judoon and the best parts of Spyfall did. 

The villain looked confusingly similar to Tim Shaw to start with, though his freedom and recovery made him a little more distinct, and his whole dynamic and him having a sister has similarities to that villain pair from last season in Can You Hear Me. I like that sort of idea, mind, I hope they deliver on it properly. Mind you, there's also an implication that this guy was a sort of Master-before-the-Master to the Doc, and I'm not sure I like that. 

Archived