Best and worst motto?

Is he a ham?

What do you think is the best and worst motto,house words, or war cries in ASOIAF?

IMO:

Best: "Beneath the gold, the bitter steel"

Honorable mentions: "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken", "A Lannister always pay his debt", "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Worst: "Though all men do despise us."

Honorable mention: "Hot Pie! Hot Pie!", "A Griffin! A Griffin!", "We do not participate in agriculture"

Well, I really like the Golden Company motto: "Beneath the gold, the bitter steel"

But the best of the house words are

"Winter is coming"

"Fire and Blood"

Whilst most of house words can be summarized as "I have a bigger dick"  ("Hear me Roar", "Ours is the Fury", blahblah) or something along this lines,  Starks and Targaryens words point to something else, beyond human, and are at the same time interestingly calm words.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

Whilst most of house words can be summarized as "I have a bigger dick"  ("Hear me Roar", "Ours is the Fury", blahblah) or something along this lines,  Starks and Targaryens words point to something else, beyond human, and are at the same time interestingly calm words.

True though "Ours is the Fury" would be a cool war cry in the midst of a fight. "Hear me Roar" is just kinda cheesy.

"Winter is coming" is really pretty pessimistic. Especially when you think about the fact, that that's ALWAYS their motto, even if winter has just passed. It's like in sports, when your coach tells you "after practice is before practice" lol

Makes me kinda think of that sketch, seth meyers did :laugh:

Seth: Jon, I actually think winter is over and we're heading into spring now.

Jon: WINTER IS COMING 

On 10/31/2019 at 8:55 AM, Arthur Peres said:

Favorite is Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Worst : Growing Strong

You are me! 

On 10/31/2019 at 4:23 AM, Is he a ham? said:

"We do not participate in agriculture"

I actually like “We do not sow”... I see it as a stupid attitude to have, but a strong motto for people with such an attitude.

1 hour ago, BalerionTheCat said:

The best: "Winter is coming"

The worst: "Hear me Roar".
Also:"We do not sow", meaning we are parasites.

Like also: "The north remembers". Sounds like House Royce "We Remember".

The North Remembers should be the new "A Lannister Always Pays their Debts." The unofficial words of House Stark and the Northerners.

I actually like "growing strong"  i think it's humble and realistic, but optimistic. And I think the tyrells are quite clever with their motto. They pretend to be all innocent and graceful and gallant -the flower Lords- while they'll bite you in your backside, if you don't pay attention and underestimate them, because they are so nice and smell of roses lol. So I think this motto serves as a great cover-up for them. They are not all "hear me roar" in your face like some other houses :) 

Favorites: We light the way (Hightower), whatever the words for House Dayne are (as of yet unrevealed), Fire and Blood , Winter is coming, Death before dishonor 

Least favorite: Hear me roar (just comes off as cringey to me imho, except in Tywin's case I guess), We do not sow (so where do you get your food from?)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived