TWOW in July 2020 seems ever more likely

Alyn Oakenfist

Although there were many hints that Martin will actually finish TWOW when he said (July 2020), includng the fact that he was willing to make such a statement despite his hate of deadlines as well as the recent news that he will NOT write for House of the Dragon until TWOW is finished gives me a lot of hope. So what do you think, is it just wishful thinking or are we finally getting Winds?

It sounds like he really wants to write a few episodes for HotD... sooo, maybe he really will finish Winds in 2020?? Some masochistic part of my brain thinks he's pretty close to being finish if he's willing to jump out and say he won't write for the new show until Winds is done. 

If he still sticks to the principle that he doesn't write when travelling, then I doubt we'll see it in 2020.  He has had a very packed year this year and been on the road a lot.

And House of the Dragon has almost certainly driven the final nail into the series coffin.  Seems history is due to repeat itself and "projects" are going to take priority over finishing the books.  Even if by some miracle we do get TWOW, the chances of getting ADOS are zero if GRRM is working other projects.

I really think so. 

With Con/Awards travels behind us and HBO boiled it down to one show, I really think George will have fewer distractions moving forward. Besides, last May George quipped about New Zealand imprisoning him if the book is not done by next July really points out that George was near the end. Now it depends if he can immures himself back in the story and how much work is left. 

I really hope the people behind the new show don't need George for the next few months while they figure it out. 

17 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

At this point I'm already considering my CK2 run as headcannon. LOL.

I'm not sure if I should do the same for mine, given that my ,,kindest" characters quickly develop into Aerys II, Maegor the Cruel and Aegon IV merged into one and multiplied by 2.

It will have been NINE YEARS since ADWD was released when July 2020 comes around. Even though George travels too much and has other projects, nine years is a long time. He has to be almost done by this point. If he doesn't finish it next year, then that's when I'll lose hope of him ever releasing Winds. 

Remember this Not A Blog post from around New Year's, 2016? To quote an excerpt:

We all wanted book six of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE to come out before season six of the HBO show aired. Assuming the show would return in early April, that meant THE WINDS OF WINTER had to be published before the end of March, at the latest. For that to happen, my publishers told me, they would need the completed manuscript before the end of October. That seemed very do-able to me... in May. So there was the first deadline: Halloween.

So in May 2015, four and a half years ago, he thought he was around five months from finishing the book. As late as August, he thought a deadline extension of two months would be sufficient. Four years later, and still no book.

I'm genuinely curious about what happened. What did the draft look like in 2015, and why did he think he was so close to finishing? Even if the book were to be finished tomorrow, May 2015 would still be earlier than the halfway point between ADwD and release day of TWoW. The manuscript must have changed drastically at some point around then. Martin has had (and presumably, used) as much time to write TWoW after that first deadline as before it.

I really hope "the Cutting Room Floor of Ice and Fire" is released one day. The amount of scrapped ideas and cut scenes must be immense, and a fascinating read with many implications for alternate story threads.

To me it really comes down to how big this book is. 

Given what we know of the chaps grrm has already read and how GOT ended it is impossible for the story to end within 2 volumes. 

So either this book is in reality 2 vols or I think we will never read the end of the saga 

6 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

Remember this Not A Blog post from around New Year's, 2016? To quote an excerpt:

So in May 2015, four and a half years ago, he thought he was around five months from finishing the book. As late as August, he thought a deadline extension of two months would be sufficient. Four years later, and still no book.

I'm genuinely curious about what happened.

I really hope, once Winds is done and people have had time to read it, that he makes a long and detailed blog post about this. You're right, something definitely happened that George was not planning on. It must've been (might still be, who knows) quite the obstacle if this man had to tack on another 4 years in addition to the previous 4 years before 2015 that he had to work on Winds (although I think he took a 6 month writing break to do ADWD promotions, I could be wrong though).

One of the only things I could think of is he got to a certain POV character that he didn't think he'd have any issues with and things didn't go as planned. It could be the character he killed off that he said he "needed", which suggests to me that the character can't simply be replaced. If that's the case, then yeah, he screwed himself and should've made outlines for his novels like the people who work closely with him have been begging him to do for decades.

On 11/5/2019 at 6:33 AM, Kyll.Ing. said:

I'm genuinely curious about what happened. What did the draft look like in 2015, and why did he think he was so close to finishing? Even if the book were to be finished tomorrow, May 2015 would still be earlier than the halfway point between ADwD and release day of TWoW. The manuscript must have changed drastically at some point around then. Martin has had (and presumably, used) as much time to write TWoW after that first deadline as before it.

I really hope "the Cutting Room Floor of Ice and Fire" is released one day. The amount of scrapped ideas and cut scenes must be immense, and a fascinating read with many implications for alternate story threads.

I have speculated on this as well. My opinion is that he regretted his choice of not introducing Danaerys and Tyrion before she flew off on Drogon

3 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

I have speculated on this as well. My opinion is that he regretted his choice of not introducing Danaerys and Tyrion before she flew off on Drogon

I agree. He admitted that years ago. But I thought we have moved past that novelty regret to another, bigger regret that has really hampered the writing process

3 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

For it to be meaningful they would need to meet about halfway of the book… He would need to change the story a lot.

Archived