TWOW in July 2020 seems ever more likely

Alyn Oakenfist

On 11/5/2019 at 12:33 PM, Kyll.Ing. said:

So in May 2015, four and a half years ago, he thought he was around five months from finishing the book. As late as August, he thought a deadline extension of two months would be sufficient. Four years later, and still no book.

I'm under impression he was just given the deadline, not that he had such belief in that.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 1908 said:

There's a new section in GRRM website titled "New Publication". 

Under it they simply state "Come back soon for information on future releases". 

Do you think it means anything? 

Not a thing. Announcements of any substance will come from George first, without any teasers or pre-announcement marketing. They've burned themselves badly on that before, when a cryptic bit of marketing (around this time of year five years ago, if I remember correctly?) being interpreted as a countdown to a TWoW announcement. There was lots of backlash, and George himself said he'd make the announcement in plain text when the time came, without ifs or buts.

1 hour ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

Not a thing. Announcements of any substance will come from George first, without any teasers or pre-announcement marketing. They've burned themselves badly on that before, when a cryptic bit of marketing (around this time of year five years ago, if I remember correctly?) being interpreted as a countdown to a TWoW announcement. There was lots of backlash, and George himself said he'd make the announcement in plain text when the time came, without ifs or buts.

Yep, this time of year. GRRM tried to do something light hearted and fun with some cool artwork counting down the twelve days of christmas. Fans blindly started declaring it was a countdown to the Winds of Winter announcement and then got bitchy when it wasn’t, despite nobody having ever said it was such a countdown. Because logic

7 hours ago, 1908 said:

There's a new section in GRRM website titled "New Publication". 

Is it a hint that WINDS is coming? Absolutely not. George will not hint, he'll tell us once he have a date.

Is it nothing? I don't think so. I think they are preparing for the announcement, so they're updating the website. It's not a hint from George by any means. Nor is it a hint from his publisher/staff. Just his publisher/staff gearing up for the announcement once he's done.

20 hours ago, 1908 said:

There's a new section in GRRM website titled "New Publication". 

Looking at what's there, they'll probably announce another special edition of an already published book or an anthology of which GRRM is the editor.

It's gone so far past ridiculous that it's a miracle that there's still an audience for Winds.  And then we're going to do this all over again for DoS?  SMH.  I wish I never picked up the book Game of Thrones.  I might have enjoyed the last 4 seasons of the TV show and I would have moved on to other things years ago.  No matter how good Winds is, it's going to be over in a week or so and then right back to estimates and graphs and New Years mea culpas and on and on and on just so we can see Stannis actually burn Shireen and Bran crowned Bran the Broken and Jon killing Dany and whathaveyou.  Yeah, I wish I never picked up Game of Thrones.  Great book though.

9 hours ago, Loge said:

Looking at what's there, they'll probably announce another special edition of an already published book or an anthology of which GRRM is the editor.

An illustrated edition of A Clash of Kings is listed to the left on the forums 

On 12/6/2019 at 2:53 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

An illustrated edition of A Clash of Kings is listed to the left on the forums 

I bought Game of Thrones illustrated, its quite nice.  The reviews for A clash of Kings illustrated have been quite poor however.  it seems much lower in quality.

7 hours ago, argonak said:

I bought Game of Thrones illustrated, its quite nice.  The reviews for A clash of Kings illustrated have been quite poor however.  it seems much lower in quality.

Well, that's a bummer. I bought a copy of it and was going to use it for my final re-read before Winds is published. After looking up some reviews, it appears the binding is the main issue. Well, now I know what to expect as I read it, at least. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived