TWOW in July 2020 seems ever more likely

Alyn Oakenfist

1 hour ago, Jekse said:

The last new years tWoW update wat Jan 2017. He doesn't do updates anymore as to not disappoint the fans.

And tWoW has not been announced either.  There was no update in Jan 2018, and the book did not come out in 2018j.  There was no update in 2019 and the book did not come out in 2019.  So how does this contradict the theory that no news is bad news?  

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

It doesn't feel like he's 3 months away from announcing that he sent Winds to the publisher.  Maybe he was drunk when he wrote that post about the New Zealand event and having Winds out before it.  

I think he was close enough to know what was left when he wrote the New Zealand post. Probably he guessed what remained could be done before July. But as usual one chapter turns into four, and if there are four chapters to finish one part of the story, he needs to restructure, and on and on and on...

Also, probably his travels did not help.

But now he's back (hopefully) working on TWOW since October. My guess will hear something this year. 

I think his statement about New Zealand indicates a belief on his part that he was less than a year away from completion at that time.  A year is quite a bit of time, especially considering how long it has been.

He merely said (somewhat jokingly) that he would have the draft ready by Worldcon, which is in late August (I think).  That would put publication sometime in December.

I remain optimistic, but also cautious.

48 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I think his statement about New Zealand indicates a belief on his part that he was less than a year away from completion at that time.  A year is quite a bit of time, especially considering how long it has been.

He merely said (somewhat jokingly) that he would have the draft ready by Worldcon, which is in late August (I think).  That would put publication sometime in December.

What he actually said is "... if I don’t have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand ..." which does not mean a draft, but a published book.

9 minutes ago, Quaithe from Asshai said:

What he actually said is "... if I don’t have THE WINDS OF WINTER in hand ..." which does not mean a draft, but a published book.

At this point, I think just about everybody would be quite happy with a draft in hand.  Hell, a mere announcement of completion would likely result in massive celebration.

5 hours ago, SeanF said:

About that.

Actually @Werthead has posted (several times now in various places, sorry for dragging you here again Wert :P ) showing how a three month turnaround on publication is possible and likely. I forget the details of how, but i believe aDwD was done in similar time

4 minutes ago, Nevets said:

At this point, I think just about everybody would be quite happy with a draft in hand.  Hell, a mere announcement of completion would likely result in massive celebration.

I am with you 100%. 

I think his mindset last May was a finished and published book before Worldcon. This gives us some insights at where he was at the time.

5 hours ago, Nevets said:

I think his statement about New Zealand indicates a belief on his part that he was less than a year away from completion at that time. 

What it indicates is an (somewhat joking) attempt to motivate himself to get stuff done.  It is neither a promise of completion, nor is it a progress report.

A year is quite a bit of time, especially considering how long it has been.

Considering how long it's been, a mere year does not seem so long at all.

He merely said (somewhat jokingly) that he would have the draft ready by Worldcon, which is in late August (I think). 

No, he did not say that.  Not even jokingly.  What he did say was that if he did not have it done by August, New Zealand had his permission to hold him prisoner on an island until he completed it.  And that part was certainly a joke.

You poor sweet summer child.

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Actually @Werthead has posted (several times now in various places, sorry for dragging you here again Wert :P ) showing how a three month turnaround on publication is possible and likely. I forget the details of how, but i believe aDwD was done in similar time

It's been done before: A Storm of Swords was on shelves less than ten weeks after hand-in, although that was in the UK only with a relatively small print run, at a time when the series was much less well-known than now. Three months now is quite likely given the sizes of the print runs that would be required. ADWD's final, locked manuscript was completed at the start of May 2011 IIRC and the book was on the shelves in mid-July, although they'd committed to the release date earlier so that had helped with some of the production aspects.

I think people taking GRRM's joke about being held hostage in New Zealand waaaay too seriously. Publication or at least completion in 2020 is possible but I would not take his joke as any kind of promise.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think people taking GRRM's joke about being held hostage in New Zealand waaaay too seriously. Publication or at least completion in 2020 is possible but I would not take his joke as any kind of promise.

I don't think anyone expect him to stay in New Zealand if he's not done with TWOW. What I took from this comment stems from the way he put it. Typically he coaches dates with words like "hope" and "expect". This one read more firm than previous comments. 

To me, the missing words spoke louder than the one's he wrote. I think he made that comment because he knew what was left. Which read to me that he saw an end, and he wasn't in some quagmire.

But who knows what happened since then.

On 1/5/2020 at 7:24 PM, Platypus Rex said:

And tWoW has not been announced either.  There was no update in Jan 2018, and the book did not come out in 2018j.  There was no update in 2019 and the book did not come out in 2019.  So how does this contradict the theory that no news is bad news?  

Are you alright? 
I was just saying that GRRM hasn't done updates in three years. How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

6 minutes ago, Jekse said:

Are you alright? 

I'm fine.

I was just saying that GRRM hasn't done updates in three years.

Right.  And I'm saying no news is bad news.  But if GRRM give a surprise announcement in 3 months, and the book comes out another 3 months after that, I will be proven wrong. 

Merely saying that he has given no updates in the last 3 years (and no real progress reports at all) does not prove me wrong.  Obviously no news has been bad news, so far.

How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

The conclusion that no news is bad news is based on history.    But you are free to speculate that he has changed his ways.

16 hours ago, Quaithe from Asshai said:

I don't think anyone expect him to stay in New Zealand if he's not done with TWOW.

That's why it's a joke.

What I took from this comment stems from the way he put it. Typically he coaches dates with words like "hope" and "expect".

Well, this time he is not even saying that.  Not that it would mean much if he did.

This one read more firm than previous comments. 

To me, the missing words spoke louder than the one's he wrote.

I call that wishful thinking.  I think we should wait till he has told us he has crossed the 1300 page mark before we begin to start to get excited.

Archived