TWOW in July 2020 seems ever more likely

Alyn Oakenfist

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I don't think he's going to hit that New Zealand deadline, that would mean he's finished with the book in 2 months, and I have not seen anything to suggest he's that close.  Not that I care that much at this point.

If he doesnt hit his deadline I think it is because the influence of GOT. People's reaction to the last season must have made him change his plans and now he is lost.

Because 1 year ago he seemed pretty positive about the books. I think he had to be almost done with winds. 

22 hours ago, divica said:

If he doesnt hit his deadline I think it is because the influence of GOT. People's reaction to the last season must have made him change his plans and now he is lost.

Because 1 year ago he seemed pretty positive about the books. I think he had to be almost done with winds. 

I have never gotten the feeling from his comments that Winds writing was going well, not even before the massive pressure of the show started to weigh on things.  

I have it on good authority that Winds will be released shortly before Jurassic World 3 hits theaters next Summer ('21). Word is that shit really hits the fan worldwide in this film and they wanted to time it together.

But on a more truthful note, I just made that up. But it sounds good to me. At this point, I would be ecstatic about a Summer (or even Winter) '21 release.

2 hours ago, Travis said:

I have it on good authority that Winds will be released shortly before Jurassic World 3 hits theaters next Summer ('21). Word is that shit really hits the fan worldwide in this film and they wanted to time it together.

But on a more truthful note, I just made that up. But it sounds good to me. At this point, I would be ecstatic about a Summer (or even Winter) '21 release.

GRRM has been MIA lately. I think he's in the same headspace he was in before he delivered F&B.

Last NaB post by GRRM was over a month ago (Jan 14). My gut he's in his cabin.

My guess an announcement before worldcon (and hopefully the book as well).

I remember getting some angry responses in the forum when I posted in 2014 that I thought it likely that Winds wouldn't get out in 2015 and I rather thought it likely that  GRRM would try for a spring 2016 release ...

On 2/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, Amris said:

I remember getting some angry responses in the forum when I posted in 2014 that I thought it likely that Winds wouldn't get out in 2015 and I rather thought it likely that  GRRM would try for a spring 2016 release ...

A more fitting prediction is that TWoW will be released when hell freezes over.

21 hours ago, alienarea said:

A more fitting prediction is that TWoW will be released when hell freezes over.

When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves.

If the series remains unfinished the only thing I'll ask is for someone to confirm witch things from the show came from George. I'd like to have some confirmation about some things so we can wrap them up. Just give me a bullet point list and I'll be happy.

On 12/6/2019 at 6:41 PM, Jay21 said:

It's gone so far past ridiculous that it's a miracle that there's still an audience for Winds.  And then we're going to do this all over again for DoS?  SMH.  I wish I never picked up the book Game of Thrones.  I might have enjoyed the last 4 seasons of the TV show and I would have moved on to other things years ago.  No matter how good Winds is, it's going to be over in a week or so and then right back to estimates and graphs and New Years mea culpas and on and on and on just so we can see Stannis actually burn Shireen and Bran crowned Bran the Broken and Jon killing Dany and whathaveyou.  Yeah, I wish I never picked up Game of Thrones.  Great book though.

The show ended so badly I'm now actually torn as to whether I even want the series to finish, if that is where its going.

But also, if more comes out I'm not likely to resist the bloody siren song.

I'm thinking that George is desperately trying to fit the rest of the story into two books, but is slowly realizing that it's going to take at least three.

I also think George needs a hug and for someone to tell him that he needs to stop overthinking this. It sounds like he's letting the public's expectations get to him and make him doubt himself. George, no matter what you put out, we're all going to buy it and read it and read it again and analyze it for the next ten years. Don't stress it.

On 2/18/2020 at 5:27 PM, Chad Vader said:

So have we decided who we want to write ADOS with George’s notes ? I hope that doesnt happen but it’s not looking great.

Benioff & Weiss obviously

9 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Robert Stanek would do a better job than that pair.

I have never read anything by him, but I’m sure he would have done a better job. Not that that’s saying a lot... my dead nan would have done a better job from the grave! :lol:

I'm old enough to remember when you couldn't discuss the release date of TWOW on this board :)  

There's been a lot of speculation about the release date and the effect of GOT's last season on GRRM's plans.  But TWOW is not the end of the story.  With the possible exception of Dany's story it takes us at most to the end of Season 6.  Those seasons were critically acclaimed even if they did have their flaws.  The most probable truth is the one that requires the least number of assumptions. The likelihood is that GRRM is (i) distracted by other projects; (ii) lost control to some extent of the story; (iii) struggling with perfectionist-procrastinating tendencies; and (iv) suffering from fan's expectations for the book.  I anticipate that when the writing goes well and the books is close enough to completion he will let us know, never mind what he has said before...

14 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I'm old enough to remember when you couldn't discuss the release date of TWOW on this board :)  

There's been a lot of speculation about the release date and the effect of GOT's last season on GRRM's plans.  But TWOW is not the end of the story.  With the possible exception of Dany's story it takes us at most to the end of Season 6.  Those seasons were critically acclaimed even if they did have their flaws.  The most probable truth is the one that requires the least number of assumptions. The likelihood is that GRRM is (i) distracted by other projects; (ii) lost control to some extent of the story; (iii) struggling with perfectionist-procrastinating tendencies; and (iv) suffering from fan's expectations for the book.  I anticipate that when the writing goes well and the books is close enough to completion he will let us know, never mind what he has said before...

I'd say one and two.  And I suspect a number five missing from your list.  When GRRM published AGOT the internet was in its infancy.  GRRM got a kick out of reading fan speculation but despite his protestations of the opposite, I do believe it influenced him as people started to guess right.  Then the show came along and it was obvious he took massive delight in the "Unsullied" reaction to events.  Then the show past him and those shocking events were no longer told by him in the first instance.

He has said several times that the journey is the important part, but I don't think he really believes that true.  I said whilst the show was on that I believed he stopped working seriously on the books and was waiting for the show to end.  That way he could rewrite the books to make them different to the show, include more shocks and maybe even change the direction of WTF moment in the show to something different.  This has tied him up in knots.

The sad thing is GRRM basked in his new found relevance when the show made him a global star.  Now the show has finished, his relevance has waned and unless TWOW is an absolute stormer (if it ever gets released) I doubt it will sell many more copies than ADWD did.  It may even sell considerably less as a lot of book readers have now moved on.

Either way, our chances of getting both ADWD and ADOS (or GRRM wrapping up in two books considering the general amount of pointless side stories now in existence) are so slim they're beyond anorexic.

Archived