TWOW in July 2020 seems ever more likely

Alyn Oakenfist

On 3/1/2020 at 5:45 PM, Sigella said:

The show ended so badly I'm now actually torn as to whether I even want the series to finish, if that is where its going.

But also, if more comes out I'm not likely to resist the bloody siren song.

Most of the things that I follow have endings that I don't like, so after thinking a lot I came up with a solution for this, I will read the last book and if I see that are following a bad path, I will rip the final leaves and burn, the end will be there

On 3/3/2020 at 1:16 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I'm thinking that George is desperately trying to fit the rest of the story into two books, but is slowly realizing that it's going to take at least three.

I also think George needs a hug and for someone to tell him that he needs to stop overthinking this. It sounds like he's letting the public's expectations get to him and make him doubt himself. George, no matter what you put out, we're all going to buy it and read it and read it again and analyze it for the next ten years. Don't stress it.

He recently denied that possibility .English is not my first so I dont remember exact words but someone asked him something about : There are rumors that you are planing to include eight book into series . And he said something like if thats the case its news to me (meaning he never planed that).

I don't think  he can finish in 2 more books and I have thought that now for a few years, but it doesn't really matter, because Winds will be the last book we ever see from him, assuming he even finishes that one.  Having it published by July...in 4 months...seems very unlikely, having it out this calendar year I would say maybe a 30% chance.  Sadly, my guess is that Winds is going to cover such a short timeframe and in such a level of detail that it won't help much in narrowing down the wide variety of theories for the end.

I'm not quite sure he can finish this in two books. If he manages, the books (particularly the last) will either be 1,000 pages in length or just under that.

The Winds of Winter will be easy enough to put together and keep into one book. A Dream of Spring is going to be infinitely harder to put all in one book. There's a lot of stuff that has to be addressed, resolved and even teased and The Winds of Winter simply cannot cover all those bases and move the plot forward to properly set the stage for the big finale at the same time. For example....

....while everything concerning the Tower of Joy and Jon's birth can be revealed in The Winds of Winter, the Azor Ahai/Prince-that-was-Promised stuff, how it pertains to both Jon and Dany, why Melisandre is so involved in this particular facet of the story and the greater meaning of the song of ice and fire (which only Jon epitomizes as the offspring of a Stark/Targaryen union) cannot be touched until A Dream of Spring. And that's assuming Azor Ahai and The-Prince-that-was-Promised are one and the same.

On 3/7/2020 at 11:18 PM, Ser Gareth said:

Either way, our chances of getting both ADWD and ADOS (or GRRM wrapping up in two books considering the general amount of pointless side stories now in existence) are so slim they're beyond anorexic.

I've been saying for the past 2 years that Martin's best chance to give readers an ending is a faux history narrative like Fire and Blood. 

Could frame it as Archmaester Tarly continuing Gyldayn's work  

12 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

I'm not quite sure he can finish this in two books. If he manages, the books (particularly the last) will either be 1,000 pages in length or just under that.

The Winds of Winter will be easy enough to put together and keep into one book. A Dream of Spring is going to be infinitely harder to put all in one book. There's a lot of stuff that has to be addressed, resolved and even teased and The Winds of Winter simply cannot cover all those bases and move the plot forward to properly set the stage for the big finale at the same time. For example....

....while everything concerning the Tower of Joy and Jon's birth can be revealed in The Winds of Winter, the Azor Ahai/Prince-that-was-Promised stuff, how it pertains to both Jon and Dany, why Melisandre is so involved in this particular facet of the story and the greater meaning of the song of ice and fire (which only Jon epitomizes as the offspring of a Stark/Targaryen union) cannot be touched until A Dream of Spring. And that's assuming Azor Ahai and The-Prince-that-was-Promised are one and the same.

I sort of feel the opposite.  Winds is the book that needs to move the story forward and begin tying up loose ends.  If Winds does that job, starts cutting the knots and bringing the main characters back together and maintains a good momentum, then a final book with the end that  he says he has had for 20 years would be relatively easy to put together.  However, if Winds does not achieve those objectives, and instead spans a short amount of time, gives a lot of day by day detail and at the end, the story and characters have not begun to resolve...then it would seem almost impossible to end it in one more book.

3 hours ago, Ser Uncle P said:

Just a thought...the Covid 19 stoppage of public events means GRRM has no red carpet events pending to distract him...every cloud has a silver lining 

I honestly hope he's isolating himself and his wife Parris in their home until this settles down. As morbid as it is, I hope he takes this opportunity to just write, write, write.

On 3/12/2020 at 7:38 AM, Ser Uncle P said:

I've been saying for the past 2 years that Martin's best chance to give readers an ending is a faux history narrative like Fire and Blood. 

Could frame it as Archmaester Tarly continuing Gyldayn's work  

This would actually be more satisfying than what the show presented seasons 5+

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Watching pain dry would be more satisfying than watching the abomination. :)

I am embarrassed to say that at one point I actually enjoyed the show.  I was introduced to the series through the television show first.  I watched season 1, absolutely loved it, and then read all of the books.  Following that, I watched seasons 2-8. 

Season 2 bothered me pretty quickly because I don't feel as though the show did a good job of introducing the Dragonstone characters.  And the modified Dany plot was just terrible ("Where are my dragons?") and completely disappointing (The House of the Undying).  But the Theon plot was done well, as was King's Landing.  So overall it was okay.

Season 3 was better.  The Jaime/Brienne, Jon beyond the Wall, Daenerys, and King's Landing plots were all good.  The Hound/Arya wasn't bad.  Robb's plot was super slow and boring until the Red Wedding.  There was absolutely no reason to have Theon in this season.  There wasn't enough conflict from Stannis regarding whether to burn Gendry or not.  Overall, it was decent though.  Probably the second best season.

Season 4 was around the quality of season 2.  King's Landing was great with the introduction of Oberyn, and Tyrion's trial was a fantastic episode.  But it ended terribly (No mention of Tysha, Jaime and Tyrion leaving on good terms, an underwhelming Mountain/Viper fight due to too many cuts and the fight being too fast, Tyrion killing Shae in "self-defense").  The Watchers on the Wall episode was good.  Ramsay/Theon plot was okay.  Arya and the Hound was boring and stupid (Brienne vs. the Hound).  Stannis saving the Wall was way too fast. 

Season 5 is where the series just fell apart.  I liked the interactions between Jon and Stannis to start things off, and Hardhome was good (although I don't like the portrayal of the fast wights).  But Sansa taking the place of Jeyne Poole just made absolutely no sense (and caused a lot of problems in future seasons), and the circumstances leading to Stannis burning Shireen were completely absurd.  The Sparrows are incorrectly portrayed as hardcore fundamentalists.  Jaime going to Dorne with Bronn was a travesty.  However, I think the biggest disappointment was not seeing Cersei go into crazy mode.  That was one of the best plots from "A Feast for Crows". 

I am not even going to provide my thoughts for Seasons 6-8 because they are, as you said, an abomination. 

So based on his latest blog post, writing is actually going well. Or at least, he says he is spending more time in Westeros than in the real world, writing every day - while isolated in a remote location due to the Coronavirus outbreak.

Given previous comments in years gone by that he tends to pick up speed as he approaches the finish line, the fact that he is writing daily MAY be a sign that the end is in sight.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:45 AM, The Young Maester said:

The winter thing dosent really suit the season. But it’s likely anyways. 

it does in some parts of the world ... maybe I'll have the open fire going... a glass of Dornish red ... wind and rain outside

Archived