TWOW in July 2020 seems ever more likely

Alyn Oakenfist

On 5/1/2020 at 8:59 PM, QhorinQuarterhand said:

Btw folks, we are up to a September release date at the earliest.

I understand that a July release date is completely off the table in any case now, but the thread could still be somewhat appropriate if a release date is revealed in July. The thread isn't completely obsolete until August 1. If we're lucky, we could even have news of progress by then.

On 4/22/2020 at 3:26 PM, Rubicante said:

Just out of curiosity, do you have any other fantasy books/series that you would highly recommend?  In the time since ADWD was released I have read

I quite liked the Traitors Son Cycle by Miles Cameron (aka Christian Cameron) and his other works in Greek and medieval settings.

The COVID-19 pandemic seems to be well contained here in NZ so we can lock up George, just probably not on White Island seeing as is erupted last year. 

Well, to be fair, the books might *not* see completion under George, making 2089 a true possibility, however unlikely or gut-wrenching.... so you see, @Nagini's Neville, if that ever comes true, the prospect of one's death occurring before publication might not be the worst of things after all.... just saying...

3 hours ago, BreakinTheWall said:

Well, to be fair, the books might *not* see completion under George, making 2089 a true possibility, however unlikely or gut-wrenching.... so you see, @Nagini's Neville, if that ever comes true, the prospect of one's death occurring before publication might not be the worst of things after all.... just saying...

How has this conversation turned so morbid ? lol George doesn't allow someone else to finish it. If we don't get it from him, we won't get it at all. (also kinda just would be another fanfic from a different writer- just like the abomination)

16 hours ago, M.Alhazred said:

It's realistic.I just don't see those 2 books comin out anytime soon. 

He might finish Winds, though I doubt he is finished or it is published by July of this year.  I can't see much of a chance that he finishes the series, although if Winds ever comes out at least then we can judge whether it will really only take 1 more book [I doubt it], or two, in which case there would be zero chance he finishes the series. 

16 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

come on- not realistic! a lot of us will be dead in 70 years. George will either finish it in the next 20 or not at all. So not funny at all!!

And you think grrm will write until he is 90?

Realistically if he wants to write until he is 85 ou 80 something as complex as asoiaf the we will be lucky.

Personally, the only chance of the series ever being finished is if grrm gets a co-author or something like that. However the tv show heavily hints that we would need a lot more books to finish the story and people's reaction to the ending probably affected grrm...

10 hours ago, M.Alhazred said:

We get a preview chapter online right before HOD and we get the ending in a revised and updated edition of World.

Right before HotD or HDotU, this post makes sense either way. HDotU would be the Heat Death of the Universe.

28 minutes ago, divica said:

And you think grrm will write until he is 90?

I was being respectful and very optimistic :)  That is the maximum of what is possible I guess. (Even though never say never.)

And it is not unheard of. If you are doing something your whole entire life, it is not uncommon to keep a very sharp mind up into old age (use it or lose it). You see that a lot with Professors and they are a lot of writers, who have delivered brilliant work in their 80ties, some even in their 90ties. GRRM also said one time, that he doesn't see himself ever retiring from writing- that is was a part of himself.

37 minutes ago, divica said:

However the tv show heavily hints that we would need a lot more books to finish the story and people's reaction to the ending probably affected grrm...

Yeah, sadly I think this whole show thing has affected him very much and even more so now, that it is was so badly received and people have been waiting for so long for TWOW, he feels the pressure to deliver. The expectations he sets upon himself or on his story are probably impossible to achieve, he seems like a perfectionist, when it comes to his writing with kinda an all or nothing attitude.

I also think as creatively fruitful it might be for some writers to be a gardner, I also think it can bite you in the back, when you try to wrap up such a big series with so many story lines.

46 minutes ago, divica said:

Personally, the only chance of the series ever being finished is if grrm gets a co-author or something like that.

Yeah, but that won't happen. He has repeatedly said, that he is firmly against anyone else being involved and if he doesn't manage to finish asoiaf it will be left unfinished and that he will also not publish anything "unfinished". Should he die before his wife she also would never sign away the rights to asoiaf.

So yeah never getting an ending is for sure a possibility.

He doesn't want anyone to write in his universe. Or to finish the story for him.

“Not while I'm alive,” Martin says. “But eventually I will not be alive because Valar Morghulis – all men must men die.”

“I don't think my wife, if she survives me, will allow that either. But one thing that history has shown us is eventually these literary rights pass to grandchildren or collateral descendents, or people who didn't actually know the writer and don't care about his wishes. It's just a cash cow to them.

"And then we get abominations to my mind like Scarlett, the Gone with the Wind sequel.”

Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin rules out sharing Westeros

Whether he wants or not, there will be an end, if not by him. So if it happens, better he leaves as much material as possible. So it is not as HBO did it, but as he wanted it.

22 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

He might finish Winds, though I doubt he is finished or it is published by July of this year.  I can't see much of a chance that he finishes the series, although if Winds ever comes out at least then we can judge whether it will really only take 1 more book [I doubt it], or two, in which case there would be zero chance he finishes the series. 

Right now July is looking like an optimistic month for a DELIVERY deadline. 

IMO there's zero chance he finishes in 2 books. His pacing in TWOW preview chapters and the fact a good chunk of ADWD ended up in TWOW makes it seem impossible without giving us the weird bullet point ending we got from the show.

If he can deliver TWOW by sometime in 2021, and actually decides to be dedicated to finishing the series instead of doing anything else for literally years again, he can still finish Book 8 and the series by 2030. 

BUT...the more I think about everything...the more I think this is going 9 books. George has blown every page count he has ever set for himself with ASOIAF. And with his writing style it is still possible for him to decide the story is telling him he needs to add even more stuff...and he'll add it.

Archived