TWOW in July 2020 seems ever more likely

Alyn Oakenfist

On 6/7/2020 at 5:59 AM, BlackLightning said:

Any writer can do better than we got in the show.

The fact that we had the show makes it that much clearer to GRRM that if he is not able to finish on his own, that he needs raise his standards and intensely screen any co-writers or ghostwriters. He didn't really do that great of a job vetting Dumb&Dumber and he gave up too much power to them and HBO. I doubt he will make the same mistake again.

I think GRRM is and will continue to use an outline for these final two books (but especially the last one). He has no choice.

Either way, GRRM has said many times that he won't let anyone else finish the books. So it's either his ending or none at all.

4 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Either way, GRRM has said many times that he won't let anyone else finish the books. So it's either his ending or none at all.

I think so too. I just don't get how ppl expect to get an ending from someone else. GRRM for sure won't pass the rights to asoiaf on to someone he knows will sell them. Maybe ppl will get n ending from someone else, but I can't see that happening within the next hundred years. Meaning if GRRM won't finish it we all won't get an ending at all.

14 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

GRRM says a lot of things....and he later either fails to do it or he changes his mind and does the opposite of what he previously said.

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

I change my mind about any number of things often. People are allowed to change their minds as much as it pleases them. 

Sure. I'm just surprised ppl are certain he will change his mind on this specific thing, that he always seemed so confident about, but I might very well be wrong

30 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Sure. I'm just surprised ppl are certain he will change his mind on this specific thing, that he always seemed so confident about, but I might very well be wrong

I’m sorry, I should have used the quote function but was lazy. What prompted me to post that was not your post, but @BlackLightning‘s comment that Martin says a lot of things and fails to do them or changes his mind and does the opposite of what he’d said. 

1 hour ago, Nagini's Neville said:

It is easier for a 60 or 70 year old to say those things than a 80 year old. 

13 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

How can he not control it? There are a lot of quite old original stories, that can't be touched, because the people, who inherited the rights won't sell them. He sold the show/ movie rights to HBO but nothing more

But one thing that history has shown us is eventually these literary rights pass to grandchildren or collateral descendents, or people who didn't actually know the writer and don't care about his wishes. It's just a cash cow to them.

Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin rules out sharing Westeros

I believe it was pointed out by an attendee at a previous WorldCon (2013, IIRC) that GRRM did say, in an unusually reflective moment, that if he was in the exact same situation as Robert Jordan and Terry Pratchett - who were diagnosed with terminal conditions but with several years of warning - that he would take action to ensure ASoIaF's ending was delivered to the fans. The inference there was that it was more likely to be a Christopher Tolkien situation than a Brandon Sanderson one, so I assume that means the creation of a detailed outline or the release of notes rather than lettings someone else (I imagine that would be a very short list with just Daniel Abraham's name on it) finish the series outright.

It's also worth reiterating that his statement about finishing the book before WorldCon this year was a joke that, as usual, got blown out of proportion.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I believe it was pointed out by an attendee at a previous WorldCon (2013, IIRC) that GRRM did say, in an unusually reflective moment, that if he was in the exact same situation as Robert Jordan and Terry Pratchett - who were diagnosed with terminal conditions but with several years of warning - that he would take action to ensure ASoIaF's ending was delivered to the fans. The inference there was that it was more likely to be a Christopher Tolkien situation than a Brandon Sanderson one, so I assume that means the creation of a detailed outline or the release of notes rather than lettings someone else (I imagine that would be a very short list with just Daniel Abraham's name on it) finish the series outright.

It's also worth reiterating that his statement about finishing the book before WorldCon this year was a joke that, as usual, got blown out of proportion.

Do you think Abraham could handle finishing ASOIAF? 

Sure the WorldCon think can be played off as a joke, but we all know George knew exactly how it was going to be received. Considering he's been in his cabin for several months now, it seems to me he planned at the time to finish by this summer. He still has some time to finish before the end of July.

As long as he doesn't leave the cabin with TWOW incomplete, I have every confidence we will be reading it by the end of 2021.

2 hours ago, QhorinQuarterhand said:

Hopefully after delivering Winds, George goes on his tour, rests a bit and then goes right back to the cabin and at least pounds out a rough draft of Book 7. Because this is going at least 8 books and we are going to be here an awfully long time if he keeps taking 5-10 years per book.

I see people here all the time saying that there is no way he can finish in seven books and that it at least has to be eight. I think he'll finish in seven. I mean he has said so many times, why doubt the man who knows how it's going to end? I highly doubt he wants it to go eight (he knows how old he is, his health situation, and his laid out what releases he wants to accomplish before he can no longer do so) and I bet he has a plan to do it in seven that might not please everyone here. I understand all the evidence people have brought up that he over writes a ton and ends up having way more material than he originally thought, and that how seven books wont do the characters justice, but has Martin not shown that not everyone gets justice in their end? I expect a lot of deaths and a lot of character arcs cut tragically short. Call me naive, but I believe he has a firm grasp on what he thinks he is going to be able to accomplish before his time is done. We will get seven, FaB2, and a few more Dunk and Egg stories if the gods are good. 

9 minutes ago, Lord Daedrunk said:

I see people here all the time saying that there is no way he can finish in seven books and that it at least has to be eight. I think he'll finish in seven. I mean he has said so many times, why doubt the man who knows how it's going to end? I highly doubt he wants it to go eight (he knows how old he is, his health situation, and his laid out what releases he wants to accomplish before he can no longer do so) and I bet he has a plan to do it in seven that might not please everyone here. I understand all the evidence people have brought up that he over writes a ton and ends up having way more material than he originally thought, and that how seven books wont do the characters justice, but has Martin not shown that not everyone gets justice in their end? I expect a lot of deaths and a lot of character arcs cut tragically short. Call me naive, but I believe he has a firm grasp on what he thinks he is going to be able to accomplish before his time is done. We will get seven, FaB2, and a few more Dunk and Egg stories if the gods are good. 

I doubt him because he originally intended a trilogy, I doubt him because he originally said Dance would come a year after Feast, I doubt him because he said for years that GOT would not outpace the books, I doubt him because in another 2-3 weeks his 'joke' that he would have Winds finished and in hand by July 2020 will be one more statement where the reality was quite something else.

But mostly I doubt he can finish in 7 books because he slowed the pace tremendously and expanded the story significantly in Feast/Dance and I have no reason to believe based on his statements and the chapters he has released that Winds will pick the pace up enough to make a final 7th book feasible, of course, I also don't believe he'll ever finish another book after Winds. 

3 hours ago, QhorinQuarterhand said:

Do you think Abraham could handle finishing ASOIAF? 

Yes. He's doing it now with the comic book adaptation (which is why he knows a lot of stuff already about the endgame that no-one else knows). But it's a moot point as long as GRRM is on the Christopher Tolkien side of the idea. It was just an observation that if GRRM changed his mind, I don't see anyone else being on the list of people he'd be happy to handle it other than Daniel.

1 hour ago, Lord Daedrunk said:

Are we talking about the guy that only noticed there couldn t be a time jump after he wrote God knows how many pages and didn t know what to do with the story after that? 

It doesn t matter what grrm plans are. When he starts writing is when he notices if they are feasible... 

And if the story has any similarity to the show not even 8 books are enough. Maybe not even 9... And most of us will die before so many asoiaf book are released... 

Archived