TWOW in July 2020 seems ever more likely

Alyn Oakenfist

10 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

If after Winds he is still far from the end and still bogged in too many threads. I don't think we will see another book. If the path is clearer (for him) to the end, we may have the 7th and last in a not too long time. But it was what we were saying after ADwD and the Meereen's knot... The hard part is behind us:(

No me. I've difficulties with never knowing the end of the story. At this point, I could do with someone, GRRM or his assistants, telling the gist of the story.

The hard part is not behind us. The Meereenese Knot is even done unravelling. Then at some point he is going to a have a convergence that makes the Meereenese Knot look as easy as deciding what hair color to give Gendry. 

21 minutes ago, Jekse said:

I’m really surprised he’s writing a Barristan chapter this far into production, I expected him to die in the Battle of Mereen

Well, that's the most optimistic part of the update XD

As much as George tells us not to parse his words - there are a few pieces of interesting information in his post.

He speaks about visiting Braavos next week, but mentions that Arya is calling implying that he is going to write about her today.  Does this confirm that at some point in Winds, Arya will be leaving Braavos, as many have speculated?  Is his visit back to Braavos next week tidying up aspects of Arya's 'Winds' arc?

He speaks about having completed three 'new' chapters recently before telling us the viewpoints that he has been spending some time with recently.  Hopefully this means the chapters are completely new and not the 'Dance' chapters finally being completed.  This could mean that Barristan, Tyrion, or Asha receive new chapters after the ones that we already know about?  I'm clutching at straws here...

I think this blog post adds fuel to the speculation/theories that Winds will be published in Hardback in two volumes.

1 hour ago, Loras said:

As much as George tells us not to parse his words - there are a few pieces of interesting information in his post.

He speaks about visiting Braavos next week, but mentions that Arya is calling implying that he is going to write about her today.  Does this confirm that at some point in Winds, Arya will be leaving Braavos, as many have speculated?  Is his visit back to Braavos next week tidying up aspects of Arya's 'Winds' arc?

He speaks about having completed three 'new' chapters recently before telling us the viewpoints that he has been spending some time with recently.  Hopefully this means the chapters are completely new and not the 'Dance' chapters finally being completed.  This could mean that Barristan, Tyrion, or Asha receive new chapters after the ones that we already know about?  I'm clutching at straws here...

I think this blog post adds fuel to the speculation/theories that Winds will be published in Hardback in two volumes.

Sensing potential for a lot of Arya chapters in Winds. 

A combination of cleaning up chapters plus writing multiple same-POV chapters seems to be George's M.O.

We already know he wrote a set of Arya chapters in 2012 that he submitted to Jonathan Roberts so he can create a highly accurate Braavos map.

In Feb 2013 George confirmed he had written 400 (200 were polished and the rest still needed work) manuscript pages and sent 168 pages to his editor Anne, one of which she confirmed was Tyrion I. 

Spring of 2013, George was asked which POV he was writing at convention in Chile, he said Arya. Which again could involve an editing process or multiple new chapters. ^_^

2 hours ago, Loras said:

Yeah, at least, he seems to work fast, one chapter yesterday, an another one three days ago, an another one last week. We have a clear idea of his efficiency and it looks correct.

3 hours ago, Jekse said:

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2020/06/23/writing-reading-writing/

I’m really surprised he’s writing a Barristan chapter this far into production, I expected him to die in the Battle of Mereen

People expected him to die back in ADwD, too. That is an old hat. I feared that he might die back then, but I never actually expected it.

Not holding my breath for to be another POV in Braavos besides Arya, so we should not expect her to leave soon. And it was always stupid to expect she would since nothing in her chapters indicates she wants to go, nor where she would want to go.

5 hours ago, Jekse said:

GRRM rewrites a lot.  He certainly doesn't complete chapters in chronological order and in some cases a completed chapter may be completely trashed and started over again.

So just because he has mentioned Barristan, it doesn't mean that it's a chapter that takes place after the Battle of Meereen.  It could be the rewriting of an old one.  You never know with GRRM.

5 hours ago, Jekse said:

Some years ago GRRM said he had a new idea for one character. It was speculated by some it was Barristan, deserting Dany for the new apparent Targaryen's heir. I was expecting him to survive Meereen and find his death later. Probably then by Dany. This guy served too many kings without questioning their suitability.

What I take from here is that as long as the covid threat is around he can write 1 chapter within a few days. 

So if this keeps up until next year I can see him finishing the book within a few months. 

So something good can come up from this covid mess... 

2 hours ago, mgreyjoy69 said:

Yeah, at least, he seems to work fast, one chapter yesterday, an another one three days ago, an another one last week. We have a clear idea of his efficiency and it looks correct.

Yeah. Maybe 2 or 3 chapters per week. But how many times revisited, rewritten? "but all in all I am pleased with the way things are doing". IMO the positive point, he is pleased with what he's writing. But as long as it is not done, he may, at some point come to the conclusion he must trash that many chapters.

1 minute ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Yeah. Maybe 2 or 3 chapters per week. But how many times revisited, rewritten.? "but all in all I am pleased with the way things are doing". IMO the positive point, he is pleased with what he's writing. But as long as it is not done, he may, at some point come to the conclusion he must trash that many chapters.

But with covid his side projects are on hold and he is focused on winds. 

The whole post seems to say that he is writing at a fast pace and he doesn t want to stop for now. That is pretty positive. Almost as positive as when he said he wanted to have winds when he visited the world con... 

I can always visit Wellington next year, when I hope that both Covid-19 and THE WINDS OF WINTER will be done.

Only about 15 months until we are told this was meant as a joke too.

I'm done being optimistic George. Until TWOW is released, I'm done believing it will ever be.

Edit: It is encouraging that he spends hours every day working on Winds. But still the best he can say is he hopes Winds is published 15 months from now? He's either been going through an absolutely ungodly amount of rewrites or Winds is going to be two huge books 2500-3000 MS pages total.

It's tricky to read too much into what he is saying because he doesn't write the entire book chronologically. He has said that he writes multiple chapters for the same character in a row so he is "in character" while he is writing. It is possible that Arya was left until later and the events happen earlier in the book than we believe. I recall the original Mercy chapter was written a long time ago, pushed back into Winds, and then updated after Dance was published. It doesn't sound like we will get a release date in the next couple of months, which is what I was hoping for, but at least it sounds like it is currently going well. I'm happy to hear about any updates no matter how vague. 

9 hours ago, divica said:

What I take from here is that as long as the covid threat is around he can write 1 chapter within a few days. 

So if this keeps up until next year I can see him finishing the book within a few months..

If only it were that simple. 

Archived