TWOW in July 2020 seems ever more likely

Alyn Oakenfist

5 hours ago, QhorinQuarterhand said:

And to be clear about this, he said he now hopes to be done by the time the World Sciene Fiction Convention starts in 2021. So his new self goal is to deliver TWOW by August 25th 2021.

Where did you read he hope for Worldcon 2020 2021? Visiting Wellington next year could be little more than 6 months from now (or 18 months). Of just wishful thinking.

Braavos chapters don't have to be specific to Arya.   She is merely the POV we have had there.  Euron is on the move with Aeron...Massey is supposed to head that way, though I can't imagine anyone but Arya telling that tale.  Same with Marwyn.  Only other possible POV I can even imagine in Braavos is Davos, which would annihilate every Rickon theory we have ever half baked.  

Of course Bran could get a larger world view, Mel's fire visions could go long distance, all our dreamers could dream there.  None of this is as satisfying as Arya's POV, but I want her to get home already and am therefore willing to take dreams and visions in Braavos.  

I think hope that Arya's Braavos story is already wrapped up and she is in Westeros, on her way to slay Lady Stoneheart. This should be her last chapter in TWoW. GRRM's return to Braavos next week should be something similarly late in the timeline; such as Team Dany is mostly wrapped up in Essos and they are looking for ways to safely ferry their troops across the Narrow Sea, which is why they need to talk to the Sealord. All this is because I hope GRRM made a significant progress.

35 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Braavos chapters don't have to be specific to Arya.   She is merely the POV we have had there.  Euron is on the move with Aeron...Massey is supposed to head that way, though I can't imagine anyone but Arya telling that tale.  Same with Marwyn.  Only other possible POV I can even imagine in Braavos is Davos, which would annihilate every Rickon theory we have ever half baked.  

Of course Bran could get a larger world view, Mel's fire visions could go long distance, all our dreamers could dream there.  None of this is as satisfying as Arya's POV, but I want her to get home already and am therefore willing to take dreams and visions in Braavos.  

One can speculate whether some other POV goes to Braavos - but it is not very likely that any of the established characters at the points where they are now would.

And there is no indication that Arya intends to leave Braavos soon nor that she would go back to Westeros if she leaves Braavos. She could have remained in Westeros if she had wanted to stay there back in ASoS/AFfC. Her training is far from complete - she cannot change faces on her own, she cannot cut faces to acquire new ones, she doesn't know the history and ultimate purpose of the Faceless Men, and she isn't exactly keen to leave them right now. She got a dozen or more opportunities to go but took none of them.

If Selyse and Shireen were to accompany Massey to Braavos once he arrives, Davos could be dispatched to fetch them and the sellswords back after he delivers Rickon to Stannis, but there is pretty much no way that Davos goes to Skagos by way of Braavos when he leaves White Harbor, because Braavos is south of the Bite, not north. He would have to be blown completely off course.

George isn't very likely to claim he was 'in Braavos' if he were decribing visions taking place there. Then he would be at the place where said character actually was, not where the visions took place.

30 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

One can speculate whether some other POV goes to Braavos - but it is not very likely that any of the established characters at the points where they are now would.

And there is no indication that Arya intends to leave Braavos soon nor that she would go back to Westeros if she leaves Braavos. She could have remained in Westeros if she had wanted to stay there back in ASoS/AFfC. Her training is far from complete - she cannot change faces on her own, she cannot cut faces to acquire new ones, she doesn't know the history and ultimate purpose of the Faceless Men, and she isn't exactly keen to leave them right now. She got a dozen or more opportunities to go but took none of them.

If Selyse and Shireen were to accompany Massey to Braavos once he arrives, Davos could be dispatched to fetch them and the sellswords back after he delivers Rickon to Stannis, but there is pretty much no way that Davos goes to Skagos by way of Braavos when he leaves White Harbor, because Braavos is south of the Bite, not north. He would have to be blown completely off course.

George isn't very likely to claim he was 'in Braavos' if he were decribing visions taking place there. Then he would be at the place where said character actually was, not where the visions took place.

Buzz kill.  Of course you are right and I don't like it.  I want to read this book already.  Was looking for some way for all this speculation to be wrong so we can all get on with the reading.  

Archived