Why didn't any targaryen loyalists help viserys and daenerys in their exile ?

Mario Seddy

They did have help initially, including a loyalist knight as a protector. Robert was especially good at turning enemies into friends, bleeding away support for the Targs. A boy king is a tough sell in Westeros, especially when you have the epitome of the warrior king stereotype on the throne with a claim to the throne. ( a legitimate but distant claim.) Robert became more powerful and secure. Then Baylon provided a cautionary tale of what happens to rebellions against the new rule. Meanwhile Viserys is still just a little kid, and cannot demonstrate martial power, therefore he doesn’t have any as far as Westeros is concerned. 

Fear of Robert kept them in line.  Though many would have wanted to rescue the Targaryen children this fear would keep them from acting openly.  Varys kept them safe but we can assume he also wanted them to experience hardships. 

1 hour ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

Targaryen restoration seemed more and more unlikely as years past. Thet had no money, dragons, political support. Robert on the other hand seemed to be strong and managed to crush a rebellion. Why support a lost claim?

That has all changed.  The real heir to the throne has dragons, money, and armies.  She will take back her lands.

Well in the beginning, folks like Jonothor Darry helped out, but as they grew old and died, it was up to the generosity of people Illyrio and selling what they had that helped Daenaerys and Viserys survive. With Robert on the throne and assassins hunting them, not to mention a weaker claim without their dragons, probably few lords saw fit to cast their lots with the last Targaryens and support them, especially seeing as how they were still youths. 

If I'm going to risk my life and my family's to put some boy on the throne, I'll want to make sure that he is worth the effort. Probably some Westerosi families tried to inquire on Viserys' character. And the reports they received convinced them to jump into the Baratheon bandwagon.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:14 PM, Mario Seddy said:

I was wondering why didn't any targaryen loyalists try to help viserys and daenerys in their exile ? Why did they allow Viserys and Daenerys to be exiled and beg for basic stuff like food and shelter ? 

Probably out of fear that Robert would fine out. 

On 11/2/2019 at 1:44 PM, Tour De Force said:

Fear of Robert kept them in line.  Though many would have wanted to rescue the Targaryen children this fear would keep them from acting openly.  Varys kept them safe but we can assume he also wanted them to experience hardships. 

That, the fear.  Travel was also difficult at the time.  It's not as if help can be sent through Fedex and DHL.  Any news they would get are going to be months old.  Viserys kept moving around.  Finding them would have been a challenge for anybody who isn't Varys.

Archived