What was the biggest mistake/butterfly effect in ASOIAF history?

Is he a ham?

Aemond deciding to claim Vhaegar. The resulting brawl exacerbated the rivalry between Alicent and Rheanyra to insane levels while giving the Greens their most important asset in the Dance. Without that very unlikely event driven by Aemond's spite towards a casual line the Dance would probably have resembled the Battle beneath the God's Eye. A quick and relatively bloodless war.

LE just imagine the ripple effect of one of the 3 STRONG Velaryons gaining the throne.

I'm beginning to realize that this series is just one mistake after another lol.

1 hour ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Defiance of Duskendale. Fucked up Aerys beyond repair.

This raises the question: What would happen if Barristan didn't save Aerys and Rhaegar becomes king with Tywin as Hand.

6 minutes ago, Is he a ham? said:

I'm beginning to realize that this series is just one mistake after another lol.

The characters don't have the benefit of hindsight and neither do we.

Catelyn asking Brandon to spare Littlefinger's life during their duel and later trusting the things he said to her had some serious consequences on her family and the realm at large. If Brandon had killed LF, then how much suffering would have been avoided? 

I guess this is another case where mercy is a huge mistake. 

22 minutes ago, Is he a ham? said:

This raises the question: What would happen if Barristan didn't save Aerys and Rhaegar becomes king with Tywin as Hand.

And we will never know. GRRM eliminated all the people who might have been able to hold the realm together ahead of the Long Night. 

3 hours ago, Essan said:

Rhaegar becoming obsessed with some stupid ancient "prophecy" ....

After the cold butchery of Waymar Royce by the Others and his killing of Will after he was raised a wight, the attack on Castle Black, the attack on the Fist of the First Men, Sam and Grenn by a Other, thousands of people fleeing their homes, and a cold so bad, it hurts to breathe, I'm thinking he had very good reasons to be "obsessed."

5 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

If Brandon had killed LF, then how much suffering would have been avoided? 

I guess this is another case where mercy is a huge mistake. 

It's a very similar case to Stannis, Davos, and Edric Storm. It's wrong from a morality standpoint though killing him then and there would've solve ALOT of issues.

14 hours ago, Is he a ham? said:

My choice is Lysa raping Littlefinger.

Lysa raped LF -> duel with Brandon & impregnation of Lysa -> LF kicked from Riverrun with a feeling of resentment -> War of the five Kings -> Lots of death

For me it is the choices Aerys and his staff made after the executions of Brandon and Rickard Stark.  Those were fine but the way he handled Jon Arryn was the problem.  He should have hired assassins to kill Eddard Stark, Jon Arryn, and Robert Baratheon.  He gave Jon Arryn too much time to gather his banners.  That was a mistake.  So perhaps keep Brandon and his companions in jail and ask the families to come forward.  Promise them safe passage and then have them ambushed on the King's Road.  Only after Rickard, Jon Arryn, Stannis are dead should Brandon be executed. 

1 hour ago, Tour De Force said:

For me it is the choices Aerys and his staff made after the executions of Brandon and Rickard Stark.  Those were fine but the way he handled Jon Arryn was the problem.  He should have hired assassins to kill Eddard Stark, Jon Arryn, and Robert Baratheon.  He gave Jon Arryn too much time to gather his banners.  That was a mistake.  So perhaps keep Brandon and his companions in jail and ask the families to come forward.  Promise them safe passage and then have them ambushed on the King's Road.  Only after Rickard, Jon Arryn, Stannis are dead should Brandon be executed. 

Oh sure this would have saved the realm tons of devastation. After Aerys put down anyone who disagreed with him he would have been free to burn KL to the ground. After that I suppose there are plenty of possibilities for what he could do next. I'm sure, someone named the Mad King, would have done wonders for the realm had he just gotten rid of those pesky Starks. 

I get some people don't like the Starks & that is fine. Some people hate the Starks, also fine. But if you want your answer to be taken seriously should'nt you at least try to think things through? It doesn't do your response any justice when your hatred of the Starks blinds you to the point that you are defending someone that is much, much worse than the Starks & Stark loyalists combined. 

13 hours ago, Bowen 747 said:

This is relatively recent but Jon's betrayal of the Night Watch will have the worst consequences for the present and the future.

The mission to take Arya away from Ramsay was wrong in so many ways.  It brought nothing but trouble at the wall.  And at a time when a united defense of the wall is needed.  Bad choices by Jon. 

3 hours ago, Many-Faced Votary said:

Catelyn existing, according to half the members here.

Yeah, around here there are people with fucked up moral standards like the curious case above who supports Aerys actions. When I thought I've read everything...

That would be enough to put GRRM in dispair and decide that further writing won't help.

I'd actually think that whatever or whoever did something to create or cause the Others to do what they did is the worst thing.

Perhaps it was some First Man breaking the Pact, perhaps something else. But the Others - who really embody the sins of forefathers - are what have the greatest effect on everything. In the end these people are all dancing on volcano their ancestors prepared for them. And they have no idea about that.

Archived