Triskele

NFL 2019 Midway Point: Gase into the Abyss

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That game against the 15 Broncos was pretty terribad.

Yeah, saw others mentioning that one too.  I'm guessing it's this game, which is pretty damn comparable.  Very similar YPA and completion %.  I think the kicker is, at least according to that box score, Rodgers didn't lose his one fumble in the Denver game, while last night his fumble set the tone for the entire game.

50 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Wow. what a dick. 

Thanks! That's what my wife said last night too

Also, reported since that wasn't directly relevant to the amazingness that is the Pats

Edited by Kalbear

5 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Niners look like the most complete team in the league. I hope they can contain the Ravens' offense...

Idk. Do you trust Handsome Jimmy to win a playoff game for you? With their recent improvements on defense, I think the Ravens are the most complete team in the league, but I certainly don't want to say that to the faces of the Niners defensive linemen. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Kal is right that the Patriots are an excruciatingly boring team to watch.  Hard to enjoy a 13-9 game that is decided by a 1st quarter blocked punt.  Not to be confused with the 16-10 slugfest decided by a first quarter blocked punt.   

Yep. I'd much rather watch the terrible Buccaneers because at the very least you know a ton of points are going to be scored. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Has any defending champion, with a 10-1 record, a historically good defence and the greatest coach/QB tandem in history ever had so little love?

I'm a Pats fan and it's boring to talk about them. There is just not much new or interesting about them, because quiet efficiency obsessively re-iterated is not fun to analyze.

There is some intrigue for me to see just how bad the offense can get before it costs them, but at some point I realized that a fan complaining about some failure or underperformance by the Patriots is like my douchebag rich cousin who's complaining about the rate of return on his investments.

The Niners are more interesting to me.

The Pats haven’t really been good value for a 10-1 record.  They generally improve later in the season anyway, but so far they’ve built that record against a soft schedule.  It’s really hard to evaluate them yet. 

It’ll get interesting when Gronk un-retires for the play-offs. 

One thing about the Niners that’s amazing me is how beat up they are. Like so beat up that Shannahan was saying the extra few hours they got moving to the night slot might get 2-3 more starters on the field.

Missing their best-by-a-mile OL for almost the entire season, their other tackle for most of it, now another starting OL down, their pre-season #1 and 2 rbs, their best player just came back after a few weeks off and coaches called him at < 75%, the one wr they got is even less healthy, barely played, just got their starting cb back, their big offseason FA pass rushers is out again, missing their best lb, and yet they keep rolling. 

Edited by James Arryn

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk. Do you trust Handsome Jimmy to win a playoff game for you? With their recent improvements on defense, I think the Ravens are the most complete team in the league, but I certainly don't want to say that to the faces of the Niners defensive linemen. 

I think the Ravens are scarier on offense but the defense is nowhere near as good as SF's. In general I'll trust the team with the better, overwhelmingly talented defense. 

As for Handsome Jimmy, he's seemed equal to the task in high leverage situations so far. Dialing up that long bomb to Kittle right after the Packers finally scored was some cold killer shit. But you never know things will go in the playoffs until he actually gets there. So obviously I can't say I'm fully confident.

54 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Missing their best-by-a-mile OL for almost the entire season, their other tackle for most of it, now another starting OL down, their pre-season #1 and 2 rbs, their best player just came back after a few weeks off and coaches called him at < 75%, the one wr they got is even less healthy, barely played, just got their starting cb back, their big offseason FA pass rushers is out again, missing their best lb, and yet they keep rolling. 

I obviously agree with the sentiment, but this is somewhat hyperbolic:  McGlinchey has played almost all of 7 out of 11 games, hopefully Person should be fine with a stinger, McKinnon was just 1 of 3 even if he actually got on the field (and Mostert has been a great replacement), Sanders didn't "barely play" last night - his snap count was 32/48 or 2/3rds.  Most importantly, Fred Warner made quite the statement last night that he's an up-and-coming MLB - should be fun when Alexander comes back next year.

Actually, the biggest injury concern right now is the DL - in terms of the depth.  Damontre Moore had a very good game last night, but now he's out for the year.  He was already replacing Blair.  The DL depth was a clear strength going in to the season, but they've already almost tapped it out.  Unless Thomas starts producing.  On the bright side, with Witherspoon back they now have 4 CBs I trust, something I don't think I've ever been able to say as a Niners fan.  Plus Ward can play the slot too.

I still have no idea how the Browns curb stomped this Ravens team earlier this year.  

These last two nights have sure made that Ravens/Niners Superb Owl rematch look like a legit possibility.  I mean, it already was, but these were two utterly dominant performances.

Rams were already looking shaky but Green Bay entered last night with at least some reason to believe that they were a contender, but SF humbled them in all facets. 

Josh Rosen is the cautionary tale of a Jared Goff who never finds his Sean McVay to get him paid.

Edited by briantw

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

Josh Rosen is the cautionary tale of a Jared Goff who never finds his Sean McVay to get him paid.

A part of me wants to point out how LA's o-line has gone from close to tops in the league to one of the worst in a year, and of course that's a factor in Goff's play.  But it certainly also feels like he's missing a lot of throws where one cannot avoid saying he's just playing much worse than last year.

The turnaround from his terrible rookie year to last year was baffling and is even moreso to me now with this year being so middling.  

7 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Also, reported since that wasn't directly relevant to the amazingness that is the Pats

A grass aswell? You are a keeper. 

For clarity I wasnt saying people in here were looking past the patriots. I was saying in wider discussion. It seems bizarre that new kids on the block are being crowned already.

It seems inevitable that the Pats and Ravens meet again in the postseason and Belichick's defense just eviscerates them using a completely different strategy than he used against them in the regular season during a game that didn't matter.

Tale as old as time.

I'll believe the Pats are making the Super Bowl until someone in the AFC actually beats them when it matters.

Edited by briantw

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Has any defending champion, with a 10-1 record, a historically good defence and the greatest coach/QB tandem in history ever had so little love?

There's absolutely no excuse for anyone with a shred of dignity outside of New England to have any love for the stinking Patriots. That's like a non New Yorker being a Yankees fan or something.

22 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

There's absolutely no excuse for anyone with a shred of dignity outside of New England to have any love for the stinking Patriots. That's like a non New Yorker being a Yankees fan or something.

I have a certain amount of gratitude towards the Pats for the simple fact that Rapistburger and the Stoolers would probably have at least a couple more SB wins if not for them. In fact, if the Pats want to go ahead and win one more and have the record that’ll be just fine with me.

^^^RESIST! They are trying to take over, all dynasties must be crushed. If they win another championship why even bother having seasons anymore really?

5 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

^^^RESIST! They are trying to take over, all dynasties must be crushed. If they win another championship why even bother having seasons anymore really?

Brady can’t play forever. Kale smoothies can only do so much. :lol: 

Lamar prayer:

Lamar who art in M&T stadium, give us a AFC Championship and deliver us from the evil Brady. Lead us with TD's on the ground and through the air. Forgive us hating Belicic the dick.

For thine is the MVP

Amen