Triskele

NFL 2019 Midway Point: Gase into the Abyss

Well we found out our 3rd string QB isn't a total disaster. The only pick he threw was a last second desperation play where Chicago was already at a 95% win probability. I can't blame him for a hail Mary type 4 and 22 to go with seconds on the clock you gotta put the ball up and take your chances on a interception in that spot. But for much of the game the kid played alright for his first NFL start.

I missed the first part of the Dallas game. Turned it on and since then Buffalo scored a td, got an interception and a strip sack fumble recovery. Thinking I gotta turn it off!

So Garrett is done at the season without a doubt.  I guess Dallas is still the favorite from the NFC East, but jebus... what a terrible division.

I laughed out loud to myself when they cut to JJ face in the 4th quarter.  Unless he pulls off a totally improbable playoff run, he's 100% done at the end of the year.

On 11/27/2019 at 12:44 PM, Rhom said:

So why is there an arc going through Indiana and Ohio that is getting Rams v Cardinals?  

Close to St. Louis.  League may be honoring that old fanbase, since its remnants are still more interested in the Rams than the people of Los Angeles.   And by that same logic, .....Charlotte is Cardinal Country.   :hat:

I mean, it doesn't take a detective to figure out why the Charlotte, Cincy, Cleveland, Indy, and Pitt markets are all airing Fox's one late game.  All five teams are playing an early game and want the time slot to themselves, if possible.  It's still my god given right as an American to bitch about it.

13 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Close to St. Louis.  League may be honoring that old fanbase, since its remnants are still more interested in the Rams than the people of Los Angeles.   And by that same logic, .....Charlotte is Cardinal Country.   :hat:

Basically no one in Charlotte is actually from Charlotte, so maybe that's part of it.

Big game coming up for the Browns in 6 hours.

Assuming their earlier victory against the Ravens was a fluke, they're gonna get curb stomped in 3 weeks.

But with the Bengals twice and the Cardinals once, they might be able to pull off a few wins.

So if they can just beat the Steelers today, I think a 9-7 record for them might actually be doable.

(My poor father was born in Cleveland, and is a heroic soul who has stuck with them even though he hasn't lived there in over 3 decades. Please football gods, let him have a winning year. Which according to internets last happened in 2007)

Edit: Womp womp

Edited by A True Kaniggit

As great as the Niners defense is this season, they have struggled against mobile quarterbacks, so I think that Lamar Jackson will rush for over 100 yards or more. Bold prediction, I know.

With today’s roughing the passer rules, I’m not even sure how you’re supposed to defend Lamar Jackson.  You have to always assume he’s a threat to run, but if you try to tackle him like a running back you’re giving them a free first down.

Defense comes up huge and the offense was good enough. The browns can officially stop with the cute shirts and talk about taking the afc north and this rivalry. That can’t beat us when they need it let alone the ravens. They’re insufferable. 

and how bout them Bengals!!

All in all can't really be disappointed with the Niners' performance.  That was about as even a game as you can get.  Also hard to equate that to a potential Super Bowl matchup due to the rain.  And if you just looked at the team stats without seeing the score, you'd guess the Niners won.  Now they gotta take care of business with the Saints.

Edited by DMC

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Here comes the dead cat bounce to fuck up the Bengals draft pick...

Alas the Eagles decided to suck today too.  They got spotted 7 in the first minute when someone in their secondary went knee to almost knee against DeVante Parker and another guy made a pick about 2 seconds later while they were both lying on the ground.  Looks like pass interference will pretty much never be called on review.  The Eagles defender was questionable to return, so pretty hard to judge there wasn't significant contact before the ball got there...

At least the Redskins won.  But my Phins still need to contest with them and the Giants and Falcons and Jets as well for the second pick.  Was hoping the Dolphins would lose and make the upcoming game against the Bengals a battle for the bottom.

ETA:  Also, if you happened to not be watching the Dolphins Eagles game, go look up the Matt Haack to Jason Sanders touchdown pass.  Five wide left, four wide right, and only the center and punter lining up between the hash marks.  Would think Philly should have just countered with both CBs blitzing from the hash marks, but maybe too rare a situation to have a plan for...

Edited by mcbigski

59 minutes ago, DMC said:

All in all can't really be disappointed with the Niners' performance.  That was about as even a game as you can get.  Also hard to equate that to a potential Super Bowl matchup due to the rain.  And if you just looked at the team stats without seeing the score, you'd guess the Niners won.  Now they gotta take care of business with the Saints.

Yeah, always want to win but if you have to lose some, I don’t mind losing like today where both teams played great most of the time and it kinda just came down to who held the ball last. Considering how they seemed to be the superior version of the type that gives us trouble, I thought it might not be as close as it was. Just kinda one of those ‘GG’ days.

Kind of amazing that what could cost New England another title is not enough offensive perimeter firepower when they had much more and gave it up willingly if begrudgingly.  

The Texans are making the Patriots pay for those blitzes. Also, the Patriots desperately need a deep threat. Time to send AB the "Hey, stranger" text.

So, I was silent for the last two weeks- two very similar games for the Pats; the Pats defeated two "meh" teams in terrible weather while relying on a stout D and a fucking horrid Offense.  Whatever.

This week there was an amazing sequence that told me everything about where the Pats were this season.  The Texans were on the 40 or so and Watson threw a strike to Fuller and he seemed to have a TD but instead, the D stripped the ball at the most opportune time so it was ruled incomplete.  THE VERRY NEXT PLAY Watson... throws the EXACT same pass and NAILS his target in the EXACT same place; TD, no doubt.  

Statement. Made.  Even the TEXANS are not afraid of the Pats anymore.  The Pats D is not where fans had thought when they RIPPED through the NCAA Division 1A teams like the Jets, Miami, Cleveland and Steelers.  Now, when faced with actual teams that don't blow, the Pats D has crimped and stumbled, losing two HUGE games to the Ravens (now your AFC #1 seed) and Texans.  I don't know of any team that can go into Baltimore and beat Jackson the way he's playing.  

Meanwhile, on O nobody is good.  Basically Defenses have figured out "You know of you double Edleman, the Pats have 3 cardboard cutouts for Brady to throw to."  This was no clearer than when in the 1st quarter, N'Keal Harry - the Pats #1 draft pick and most recent player whose name I am not going to look up for spelling - was running a slant and the DB attacked and Brady threw the ball to where Harry SHOULD have been ...had Harry done what he was supposed to do- RUN THROUGH THE DB AT THE POINT OF ATTACK!  Instead?  Oh, our big, physical WR who has no separation... collapsed; fell to the ground and the DB picked Brady off and that lead to 7.  

The Pats have no hope right now on O and the D is ... not Ravens 2000.  So... if that's true, how can they win?  I don't think they can.  Sure, MAYBE they could get to the AFC Championship game, but they would get railroaded by the Ravens.  So... we all have that to look forward to... 

21 hours ago, Rockroi said:

So, I was silent for the last two weeks- two very similar games for the Pats; the Pats defeated two "meh" teams in terrible weather while relying on a stout D and a fucking horrid Offense.  Whatever.

This week there was an amazing sequence that told me everything about where the Pats were this season.  The Texans were on the 40 or so and Watson threw a strike to Fuller and he seemed to have a TD but instead, the D stripped the ball at the most opportune time so it was ruled incomplete.  THE VERRY NEXT PLAY Watson... throws the EXACT same pass and NAILS his target in the EXACT same place; TD, no doubt.  

Statement. Made.  Even the TEXANS are not afraid of the Pats anymore.  The Pats D is not where fans had thought when they RIPPED through the NCAA Division 1A teams like the Jets, Miami, Cleveland and Steelers.  Now, when faced with actual teams that don't blow, the Pats D has crimped and stumbled, losing two HUGE games to the Ravens (now your AFC #1 seed) and Texans.  I don't know of any team that can go into Baltimore and beat Jackson the way he's playing.  

Meanwhile, on O nobody is good.  Basically Defenses have figured out "You know of you double Edleman, the Pats have 3 cardboard cutouts for Brady to throw to."  This was no clearer than when in the 1st quarter, N'Keal Harry - the Pats #1 draft pick and most recent player whose name I am not going to look up for spelling - was running a slant and the DB attacked and Brady threw the ball to where Harry SHOULD have been ...had Harry done what he was supposed to do- RUN THROUGH THE DB AT THE POINT OF ATTACK!  Instead?  Oh, our big, physical WR who has no separation... collapsed; fell to the ground and the DB picked Brady off and that lead to 7.  

The Pats have no hope right now on O and the D is ... not Ravens 2000.  So... if that's true, how can they win?  I don't think they can.  Sure, MAYBE they could get to the AFC Championship game, but they would get railroaded by the Ravens.  So... we all have that to look forward to... 

Must be tough currently bottoming out at 10-2...

11 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Must be tough currently bottoming out at 10-2...

It's a hard life being a Pats fan.