Triskele

NFL 2019 Midway Point: Gase into the Abyss

Handsome Jim is giving this one away.

31 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Handsome Jim is giving this one away.

The receivers playing volleyball might be playing a role.

Yeah I other than Jimmy's fumbles I put 100% responsibility on the receivers.  Drop city.

25 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I other than Jimmy's fumbles I put 100% responsibility on the receivers.  Drop city.

Agreed.  Bourne especially has been causing me stress.  Losing Sanders definitely hurts.  

Seachickens did a good job of taking away the run.  So getting Staley and Juscyk back hasn’t been a factor.

God damned kickers

Meh, whatcha gonna do.  I mean yeah, if both Kittle and Sanders are out in the playoffs, their offense is fucked because the rest of the receivers are a joke. 

Only thing that worried me about that game - other than the litany of injuries of course - is how much Clowney owned the line.  Most dominant defender seen so far this season.  He ate Staley's lunch all night - and McGlinchey's too.  And the most frustrating thing is oftentimes you could see he was getting pressure after evading Dwelley and/or Juice.  That's not who should be blocking him, which suggests Shanahan was out-schemed.

I am a Seahawk fan and nothing warms my heart like beating the niners.  This was a pretty crazy game.  That kicker was shaping up to be the story until he missed that last kick.  Poor guy.  I always feel bad for the kickers.  Kicker for Seattle was iced about as cold as I've seen but he managed to repeat the kick.  Clowney played really well.  I'll take it.  We'll do it again at the end of the year.

Heh, watching the highlights this morning If I was on that 49ers defence I'd be pretty irritated this morning. I'm not sure they could have done a lot more to win that game.

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Are each of those the previous record holder, or just a random comparison.  Cos if he holds all those records that's phenomenal, if he just is better than some other randomly selected person then MEH.

11 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Are each of those the previous record holder, or just a random comparison.  Cos if he holds all those records that's phenomenal, if he just is better than some other randomly selected person then MEH.

It's definitely just random people.  I don't think any of those are the record.  Just of fthe top of my head, I'm fairly sure that Roethlisberger won 15 games as a rookie.  Rookie running backs exceeding 1,300 yards is fairly common, I know Ezekial Elliot and Alfred Morris both did so, and I'm sure plenty others have as well.  Mahomes passer rating and completion percentage after 16 games was much higher (he had 113 passer rating and 66% completion last year).

So yeah, that list of stats sounds good, and adds up to an impressive start, but it's mostly cherry picking.  The only one of those he definitively holds is rushing yards for a qb, Jackson has the record.

Edited by Maithanet

Going further, Jackson's record for most rushing yards by a qb in his first 16 games is a dubious honor.  While running qbs can no doubt be effective, the injury concerns are real.  Jackson isn't built like a tank the way Newton and Luck are, and even still both those guys have had HUGE injury problems over their careers.  Of the great running quarterbacks since Vick, virtually all of them (RG3, Newton, Luck, Kaepernick, Tebow) had a lot of trouble staying on the field.  The only exception is Wilson and his almost preternatural ability to avoid the big hit.  While Jackson clearly has more self preservation than Newton and Griffin, he definitely takes more big shots than Wilson does. 

Not that there's really anything Baltimore (or Houston with Watson) fans can do about it.  There are so few quarterbacks who can really play, getting one who might only be temporary is still better than not having one at all.  But it's still worrisome.

25 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Like Maith said, it is random, but the point is to show how great he’s been at such a young age. He was statistically the best 21 year old QB ever, and I believe all of players listed above were older than Jackson was when they completed their first 16 starts. He’s just scratching the surface of his potential.

Another fun LJ stat. He’s one of seven QBs to have multiple perfect games. He and Brady both have two. It took Brady 10 years to achieve this feat. It only took LJ 16 games. A.A.Ron got his first perfect game in between Jackson’s two perfect games.

29 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Of the great running quarterbacks since Vick, virtually all of them (RG3, Newton, Luck, Kaepernick, Tebow) had a lot of trouble staying on the field. 

Luck seems pretty out of place in that group.  Really wouldn't describe him as a running quarterback.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Luck seems pretty out of place in that group.  Really wouldn't describe him as a running quarterback.

They were definitely running some read option for him in the early years at least.  He had 60+ rushes every healthy season save for 2018, so it was undeniably part of his game.  He has more runs/game than Aaron Rodgers, and I consider him the dividing line between a scrambling quarterback (ie, can run to set up the pass and when the opportunity presents itself) and a running quarterback. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

He had 60+ rushes every healthy season save for 2018, so it was undeniably part of his game.

He averaged less than 20 rushing yards a game, significantly less that Steve Young at around 25 a game - and I'd still consider Young more of a scrambling than running quarterback.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

In theory Luck could have ran Cam’s offense exactly like Cam did. They’re both huge and run around 4.6 40’s. Difference is Luck has an all-time great arm while Cam does not.

I think what makes Jackson special is he has the blinding speed of Vick mixed with the elusiveness of Wilson. He’s probably the highest risk for injury of any QB ever, but he might be able to make this work until he can get a better arm.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

He averaged less than 20 rushing yards a game, significantly less that Steve Young at around 25 a game - and I'd still consider Young more of a scrambling than running quarterback.

Young was better at it, that's true, he averaged 1.1 yards/attempt more than Luck for his career.  But Luck still averaged more runs per game than Young did.  Regardless, I'll admit that the distinction between running vs scrambling quarterback is a lot in the eye of the beholder.  To me, Rodgers, Young and Mahomes are scrambling quarterbacks, while Luck is just over the line as a running quarterback, albeit one who was more effective in the pocket than most.