Triskele

NFL 2019 Midway Point: Gase into the Abyss

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He’s probably the highest risk for injury of any QB ever, but he might be able to make this work until he can get a better arm.

I don't know. Obviously Jackson runs the ball a lot but most of the time he isn't taking solid tackles because defenders struggle to line him up. Newton's the bigger man but a lot of the time it seemed like he was being asked to run over the top of defenders when he was running the ball. Bigger man or not that seems like more of a recipe for picking up injuries.

22 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Young was better at it, that's true, he averaged 1.1 yards/attempt more than Luck for his career.  But Luck still averaged more runs per game than Young did.  Regardless, I'll admit that the distinction between running vs scrambling quarterback is a lot in the eye of the beholder.  To me, Rodgers, Young and Mahomes are scrambling quarterbacks, while Luck is just over the line as a running quarterback, albeit one who was more effective in the pocket than most. 

I’ve got a fun one for you. Is Josh Allen a running QB or a scrambler? Because I don’t think they call runs for him, but he’s always running for his life and it’s his best asset.  

24 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve got a fun one for you. Is Josh Allen a running QB or a scrambler? Because I don’t think they call runs for him, but he’s always running for his life and it’s his best asset.  

I haven't seen a lot of Allen, but from what I have, he was definitely a running qb.  I do think they drew up a few design qb runs for him.  (Although that isn't in and of itself the be-all-end-all.  Kirk Cousins had some design runs in DC and he's not even a scrambling quarterback.)

Edited by Maithanet

I still could not believe Coach Kyle's decision to throw on third and long toward the end of overtime.  A running play pretty much clinches the tie.  You can almost certainly run off half of the 85 or so seconds that were remaining before punting.

SF did not need the win nearly as badly as Seattle.  A tie pretty much locks up a playoff slot, barring an epic collapse of which that defense seems incapable.  And their chances of pulling out a win on 3rd and 10 from their own 20 were quite slim.

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

I still could not believe Coach Kyle's decision to throw on third and long toward the end of overtime.  A running play pretty much clinches the tie.  You can almost certainly run off half of the 85 or so seconds that were remaining before punting.

SF did not need the win nearly as badly as Seattle.  A tie pretty much locks up a playoff slot, barring an epic collapse of which that defense seems incapable.  And their chances of pulling out a win on 3rd and 10 from their own 20 were quite slim.

That's analytics talking though.

I don't think you can go into that locker room afterwards and tell them you believe in them for the next 8 games after you didn't do everything you could to win this one.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I don't know. Obviously Jackson runs the ball a lot but most of the time he isn't taking solid tackles because defenders struggle to line him up. Newton's the bigger man but a lot of the time it seemed like he was being asked to run over the top of defenders when he was running the ball. Bigger man or not that seems like more of a recipe for picking up injuries.

It can go both ways. Cam takes way more contact, but he doesn’t run as much and can absorb it. I think Cam’s more likely to always be dinged up to some extent while Jackson is way more vulnerable to more serious injuries. His lean frame does make me a little nervous compared to say someone like Wilson who has a thicker build. Regardless though I think we can all agree that we hope he doesn’t get hurt because he’s so much fun to watch.

Also, I’ve got to get me a pair of those Oakleys if they’re not too much. I have no idea which ones they are though……

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I haven't seen a lot of Allen, but from what I have, he was definitely a running qb.  I do think they drew up a few design qb runs for him.  (Although that isn't in and of itself the be-all-end-all.  Kirk Cousins had some design runs in DC and he's not even a scrambling quarterback.)

I’d fire someone who suggested intentionally running with Kirk.

That said, I also haven’t seen a ton of his tape, but it feels to me like he’s just running for his life because he can’t read defenses. I don’t think his coaches want him to run because if they did, they would have ran more with Tygod.

My fucking wifi cut out on first drive In OT. Horrible timing. Then spent forever actively avoiding any friends/data that might spoil it, finally got DAZN back on and then when trying to get it up to where I left off it just cut to the final score. 

All around I give the experience a thumbs down. 

2 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

My Monday Morning Quarterbacking gripe (although my brother and I agreed it was a mistake in real time) would be deciding to kick the field goal in overtime rather than going for it on 4th and 1.  The kid was already 3 for 3 on FGs and made the one that got them to overtime.  47 yards is no chip shot - don't press your luck and just QB sneak it.

A game in which there were seven fumbles and five lost probably doesn't need too much MMQBing. Weird things happened. 

10 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I can.

He is clearly just as lacking in ability to conceive of the concept of protecting a lead in a season long divisional race (as a tie would have done in that situation) as he is at doing so in an individual game.

Ask an Atlanta Falcons fan about Super Bowl 51.  If you dare.

The Atlanta Falcons would have won Super Bowl 51 easily if not for this nincompoop and his fetish for tactical malpractice and utter contempt for effective clock management.  Even Andy Reid looks at this jabroni and says "damn, son, control the clock a little?"

And if a collapse so complete as to be indistinguishable from taking a dive IN THE SUPER BOWL didn't learn him his lesson, he straight up ain't gonna learn it. 

No matter how many times he and his teams lose because of it.

Edited by Frances Bean Corbray

I was listening to Francesca yesterday and I took issue with him saying that Watson is a better QB and has had a better career than Prescott. I’m a Giants fan so there’s no bias here but what has Watson done to make Mike say that? He cited that Dak has been way better since he got Cooper but Mike acts like Watson hasn’t had Hopkins to throw to for his short career. Watson might turn out better but I think Dak has come a long, long way.

56 minutes ago, The Last Storm said:

I was listening to Francesca yesterday and I took issue with him saying that Watson is a better QB and has had a better career than Prescott. I’m a Giants fan so there’s no bias here but what has Watson done to make Mike say that? He cited that Dak has been way better since he got Cooper but Mike acts like Watson hasn’t had Hopkins to throw to for his short career. Watson might turn out better but I think Dak has come a long, long way.

Dak is good and was unfairly criticized for playing for Jason Garrett. That said, Watson came into the league and instantly gave Houston a chance to win every game because of him. The Cowboys are loaded, absolutely loaded, with talent. Houston has Watson and Hopkins. The two situations are basically incomparable.

38 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Dak is good and was unfairly criticized for playing for Jason Garrett. That said, Watson came into the league and instantly gave Houston a chance to win every game because of him. The Cowboys are loaded, absolutely loaded, with talent. Houston has Watson and Hopkins. The two situations are basically incomparable.

All you need to cite is the O-Line play. One has played behind an elite line while the other has been running for his life behind hot garbage.

Hope for those who hate the Patriots. Only 1 team this century has had the longest winning run to start the season, and went on to win the superbowl. 

@Tywin et al.  I had no problem with Zeke getting shut down that game because the pass was just working so well, getting big chunk plays. The problem is they out smarted themselves by trying to run it, probably thinking Minn wouldn't expect it. Just do what is working and take it. Kinda like the Patriots used to be, one week they would run for 200 yards and the next week pass for 400. Exploit what ever is working.

I have a big regret hanging on me. I was in DC for a Michigan game a few weeks ago and I couldn't talk my buddies into staying and going to the Baltimore vs New England game. Seeing those two QB's in person would have been something to remember. I am going this Sunday to see Dak vs what ever QB Detroit trots out there so I will take that as a small victory.

46 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Well, here's something to look forward to for Browns fans:

(That is an amazing fact)

To be fair, Hue Jackson should have been fired long before that game.

Edited by briantw

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Well, here's something to look forward to for Browns fans:

(That is an amazing fact)

It's one of the most thoughtful parts of the Jimmy Haslam era. The Uber back to Cleveland from Pittsburgh is super reasonable.