Sign in to follow this  
Triskele

NFL 2019 Midway Point: Gase into the Abyss

People are really letting Rudolph skate here. What Garrett did is indefensible, but it’s not like he wasn’t reacting to Rudolph.
Also, I’m disgusted at the coverage of Pouncey. Just Googling his name brings up headlines calling him a hero and saying he shouldn’t be suspended. If Garrett gets a season long ban, so should he. Kicking a dude in the head on the ground while he’s pinned is some cowardly s***.  And unlike Garrett, he’s got a past…

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:
I don't know wtf Garrett was thinking. 

He wasn’t thinking, he was reacting. Rudolph went for his helmet and then he went for his. Difference is one is a lot stronger than the other. Then multiple people went after him so he reacted again. That doesn’t justify what he did, but the main narrative around this is all wrong.

16 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

Anybody remember when Marty McSorley got 80 or 90 games for hitting Brashear with his stick? 

The difference between the NHL and the insufferable NFL. Garrett should be done permanently AND criminal charges filed. That was an out and out assault. 

The NHL also came down severely on Todd Bertuzzi for the Steve Moore incident. And it went to a civil trial. 

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The NHL also came down severely on Todd Bertuzzi for the Steve Moore incident. And it went to a civil trial. 

Yep, the Canucks still haven't lived that one down. 

Garrett should be suspended, but so should Rudolph and that Steelers OL who got into it throwing punches and kicks. Garrett should be suspended the longest of them though because man if he'd really gotten Rudolph with that helmet we'd be talking about how Rudolph isn't playing football anymore. The replay indicates that Rudolph escalated the whole thing by trying to rip off Garrets helmet and kicking him in the groin.

49 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He wasn’t thinking, he was reacting. Rudolph went for his helmet and then he went for his. Difference is one is a lot stronger than the other. Then multiple people went after him so he reacted again. That doesn’t justify what he did, but the main narrative around this is all wrong.

If he'd just ripped Rudolph's helmet off then I wouldn't disagree with you but hitting someone in the head with what's basically a weapon at that point is completely beyond the pale.

Pouncey should also get a ban but there's some mitigation in that I can understand reacting badly to seeing someone do that to one of your teammates.  

9 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

If he'd just ripped Rudolph's helmet off then I wouldn't disagree with you but hitting someone in the head with what's basically a weapon at that point is completely beyond the pale.

Pouncey should also get a ban but there's some mitigation in that I can understand reacting badly to seeing someone do that to one of your teammates.  

I think I’d get the outrage more if Rudolph went down like a sack of potatoes….but he was fine.

As far as Pouncey and reacting goes, I think Garrett’s behavior is more thoughtless than his. Pouncey had more control of his behavior, and there’s no way to argue that he was trying to defend himself. A defense lawyer could at least make a viable case for Garrett.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As far as Pouncey and reacting goes, I think Garrett’s behavior is more thoughtless than his. Pouncey had more control of his behavior, and there’s no way to argue that he was trying to defend himself. A defense lawyer could at least make a viable case for Garrett.

Come on. Garrett was getting shoved by a couple of guys, that happens multiple times in pretty much every game in every team sport that has any sort of contact.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think I’d get the outrage more if Rudolph went down like a sack of potatoes….but he was fine.

So what? So Garrett got lucky, if he'd been unlucky he could have cracked his skull. It's not like he wasn't trying to hurt him. I don't get how that can be seen as anything other that completely unacceptable behavior.

10 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Come on. Garrett was getting shoved by a couple of guys, that happens multiple times in pretty much every game in every team sport that has any sort of contact.

And that’s why players do dumb things in those moments. I hate when people clutch their pearls and act like the behavior is unthinkable having no perspective that they might act exactly the same if they were in that situation.  

So what? So Garrett got lucky, if he'd been unlucky he could have cracked his skull. It's not like he wasn't trying to hurt him. I don't get how that can be seen as anything other that completely unacceptable behavior.

And then it would cease to be funny. But come on, most people, even if they don’t want to admit it, liked what happened. Example, in retrospect, we all love The Malice in the Palace. Personally I think it’s the most glorious thing to ever happen in professional sports. Those fans deserved it!

So Rudolph starts the fight and kicks Garrett in the balls and doesn't even get a fine?  What a bunch of horse shit.

No complaint about the Garrett suspension, but Rudolph should have gotten at least a game.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And that’s why players do dumb things in those moments. I hate when people clutch their pearls and act like the behavior is unthinkable having no perspective that they might act exactly the same if they were in that situation. 

I've played contact sports pretty much all my adult life, similar things have happened to me quite a lot. I'm extremely confident in saying that I wouldn't have done that.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

People are really letting Rudolph skate here. What Garrett did is indefensible, but it’s not like he wasn’t reacting to Rudolph.
Also, I’m disgusted at the coverage of Pouncey. Just Googling his name brings up headlines calling him a hero and saying he shouldn’t be suspended. If Garrett gets a season long ban, so should he. Kicking a dude in the head on the ground while he’s pinned is some cowardly s***.  And unlike Garrett, he’s got a past…

Garrett already had a reputation as a dirty player before last night. Watch the Jets game from earlier this season. Several unsportsmanlike penalties that game. Pouncey may have went a bit over the top but he’s not the culprit here.

18 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I've played contact sports pretty much all my adult life, similar things have happened to me quite a lot. I'm extremely confident in saying that I wouldn't have done that.

Eh, I was a three year varsity football player in high school and the only fights I ever got in while in school were on the field. Emotions run high. Dudes hit each other all the time. You just don’t usually see a guy hit someone in the head with his own helmet.

Let’s have some perspective though. We’re up in arms about this in a game in which a woman beater played and this incident happened to a guy who backs up a rapist.

4 minutes ago, The Last Storm said:

Garrett already had a reputation as a dirty player before last night. Watch the Jets game from earlier this season. Several unsportsmanlike penalties that game. Pouncey may have went a bit over the top but he’s not the culprit here.

The knock on Garrett coming into the league was that he was too passive, kind and lacked a killer instinct.  

Good thing people care deeply about a grown man being hit after trying to start a fight. 

Now imagine that grown man as a child instead and you get what other current NFL players who are going to the hall of fame did. No video though, so who cares!

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

<redacted>, but man, Miles Garrett is a dirty POS. Hope he’s out the rest of the season. 

As you wish.

Agreed though.  Not sure whether he said something to Rudolph or just pissed him off with the extended hit/hold in a game with 8 seconds left.  But neither has a place in the NFL.  The league protects quarterbacks - he knows it - everyone knows it.  And it was a cheap tackle/hit with time expired and playing out the string.

Edited by Bronn Stone

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The knock on Garrett coming into the league was that he was too passive, kind and lacked a killer instinct.  

Yes, while he was in college. I guess he does have a killer instinct apparently.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think that is more due to his off field persona than his on field play, as he's basically just a giant nerd and very soft spoken. 

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I think that is more due to his off field persona than his on field play, as he's basically just a giant nerd and very soft spoken. 

Listening to some more reporting basically confirms this. His teammates say he’s a soft spoken teddy bear off the field, but once he’s on the field, there is no off switch.

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Good thing people care deeply about a grown man being hit after trying to start a fight. 

Now imagine that grown man as a child instead and you get what other current NFL players who are going to the hall of fame did. No video though, so who cares!

While obviously that is fucking disgusting. As a wider point of discussion I think fucking up at work should carry more punishment than fucking up when not at work (assuming the offence was similar).