Interesting thought regarding NissaNissa

Lady Rhodes

Rereading A Clash of Kings, I came across an interesting line in a well known passage. When Salladhor Saan is teeming Davis about the prophecy, he remarks that when the sword was plunged into her heart, Nissa Nissa let out a cry of anguish and ecstasy that left a crack across the moon.

this brings to mind @Feather Crystal your thoughts pertaining to hinges and wheels of time. Could this be an example of a reversal or a hinge?

3 hours ago, Lady Rhodes said:

Rereading A Clash of Kings, I came across an interesting line in a well known passage. When Salladhor Saan is teeming Davis about the prophecy, he remarks that when the sword was plunged into her heart, Nissa Nissa let out a cry of anguish and ecstasy that left a crack across the moon.

this brings to mind @Feather Crystal your thoughts pertaining to hinges and wheels of time. Could this be an example of a reversal or a hinge?

I've always thought that the Nissa Nissa tale was actually a form of oral history and not an actual, factual account. To me its more symbolic. IMO this story was created by the Children of the Forest about how they fought back against human invaders and the consequences afterward. The three swords were the three times they turned to magic with the final sword causing a critical, near fatal blow to Nissa Nissa, which roughly translates to "moon moon". The Children view Planetos as a sister to the Moon. The cracking of the moon brought forth the dragons, so Doreah's tale about the moon cracking and a thousand thousand dragons pouring forth is tied to this third sword.

Time is different for the Children than it is for men. The Children live much longer lives, and due to their connection to the weirwoods they see the past, present, and future. Likewise I think the forging and welding of each sword occurred over hundreds if not thousands of years. Think in terms of the forces of nature. We may have geological explanations for how land bridges disappear or the erosion of land by wind and sea, but the Children take credit for the forces of nature and call them a sword.

1) First sword - tempered in water = the washing away of the Arm of Dorne, and the hammer of waters of the Neck

2) Second sword - tempered in the heart of a lion = they fought back - first with wood dancers and later by using white walkers

3) Third sword - tempered in Nissa Nissa = they broke one of two moons by causing the Doom which was foreseen by Daenys the Dreamer causing her Targaryen family to move to Dragonstone, and eventually Aegon and his sisters to conquer Westeros.

The three swords symbolically played out again in Drogo's funeral pyre:

1) The first sword - tempered in water: She heard a crack, the sound of shattering stone. The platform of wood and brush and grass began to shift and collapse in upon itself. Bits of burning wood slid down at her, and Dany was showered with ash and cinders. And something else came crashing down, bouncing and rolling, to land at her feet; a chunk of curved rock, pale and veined with gold, broken and smoking. The roaring filled the world, yet dimly through the firefall Dany heard women shriek and children cry out in wonder.

Only death can pay for life.

2) The second sword - tempered in the heart of a lion: And there came a second crack, loud and sharp as thunder, and the smoke stirred and whirled around her and the pyre shifted, the logs exploding as the fire touched their secret hearts. She heard the screams of frightened horses, and the voices of the Dothraki raised in shouts of fear and terror, and Ser Jorah calling her name and cursing. No, she wanted to shout to him, no, my good knight, do not fear for me. The fire is mine. I am Daenerys Stormborn, daughter of dragons, bride of dragons, mother of dragons, don't you see? Don't you SEE? With a belch of flame and smoke that reached thirty feet into the sky, the pyre collapsed and came down around her. Unafraid, Dany stepped forward into the firestorm, calling to her children.

3) The third sword - tempered in the heart of Nissa Nissa - the fatal blow: The third crack was as loud and sharp as the breaking of the world.

Westeros is under the control of a wheel of time that once moved forward. Historical events would periodically repeat to the same areas and families. Bloodraven made a sudden correction during the Harrenhal tourney that nearly ripped the door to magic right off its hinges. After that correction, magic slowly began leaking back out into the world. It took a generation for there to be enough magic to bring back the white walkers and for Dany's dragon eggs to hatch, but the reason why they both were possible was due to what Bloodraven did to the wards upon the Wall. Drogo's funeral pyre caused another "correction" - it forced the wheel to roll in reverse. Historical events are still repeating, but the order in which they occurred are happening in reverse, and many of them are "undoing" history by having an opposite outcome. Jon Snow is a good example of how the story of the Nights King is being "undone". In the past the Lord of Winterfell and the King Beyond the Wall united to take the Nights King down. At the end of Dance, the Watch mutinied and Jon was stabbed multiple times. In order for him to survive he may need to be turned into a monster like Coldhands - the Nights King reborn. There's already a multitude of wildlings at the Wall. Will they unite with the Nights King and take Winterfell from the current Lord of Winterfell and release the King Beyond the Wall?

The Wall is a hinge and holds the door to magic shut, but the wards are old and threadbare, and about to break. Time is of the essence, and this is why they couldn't wait for Bran to grow up. I think the reason why Bloodraven made the adjustment was for Bran's benefit. Summer was extended nine years so that he'd have the best possible environment to grow and develop, but summer got cut short - even though people said it was the longest one in living memory - because Bloodraven was fading fast. Poor Bran was lured into place deliberately so that he could be pushed, making it easier to open his third eye, and bring him to the Cave of Skulls to be trained. Leaf said everyone will likely die - even them - but that the wolves would outlast them all. So what is the end game of the Children? To return Westeros to where it was before the Children used magic.

I know, I know - you all want to throw rotten tomatoes at me, because how can I prove all this? Right now, I can't. Not with text that simply spells it out, but I can make predictions, and only time will prove me right or wrong.

Archived