Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 3 (Includes A Little Hatred Spoiler discussion)

Rhom

The thread is clearly marked spoilers to include ALH.  I don’t think we need the spoiler boxes.

Great catch in Shattered Sea.  That sounds like a cool Easter Egg to me.  There’s not any crossover between the two.

Excellent catch! Love it!

The full quote is: "Sumael pointed out strange constellations, for every one of which she had a name—the Bald Weaver, the Crooked Way, Stranger-Come-Knocking, the Eater of Dreams—and as she spoke them steaming into the dark she smiled, a happiness ."

I don't think this has to mean that the Bald Weaver and STK have to be related in any way. But I wonder of the Crooked Way or the Eater of Dreams will have an appearance in this new trilogy. Eater of Dreams could even refer to Sulfur or Shenkt...

On 11/10/2019 at 10:57 AM, red snow said:

Joe's latest progress report suggests the gap in publishing has had no effect on sales. If anything they've improved.

Very surprised to see audiobook sales were stronger than hardback or ebook sales in week 1 in UK. Just shows how rapid that sector is growing and how good Steven Pacey is.

32,000 sales in the first week of publication is quite something.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

32,000 sales in the first week of publication is quite something.

If you combine all formats it's a very healthy launch for him.

Considering Lawrence's "broken empire" has been optioned for TV, I'm becoming even more surprised no one has optioned Joe's books. Maybe they have but he doesn't want to announce anything until it's more solid.

There was another book around the same time with the same name that was optioned I think.  It was a cop thriller or something.  There was lots of excitement then disappointment if I recall correctly.

22 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Hmm I thought there was word about it being optioned somewhere but I could be misremembering. Brain not work in cold so good.

Anyway all fo you good goodreads kids get over and vote for this for Best Fantasy, even though I'm sure some popular piece of schlock will end up winning like always.

You probably are thinking of this:

https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2018/02/joe-abercrombie-speaks-out-about-first.html

eta: Eda and El, was that 2018?! Where does the time go...

Theories after finishing it, and thoughts. 

The Weaver being Bayaz is probably too predictable.  I am guessing it will be either Shenkt because Monza is very rich because of Herman's gold. 

I may have misread but I remember tattoo's being mentioned on the Breakers and Burners? Possible Red Country rebel connection? 

Bayaz very much killed the King or had a part in it.  He did make a point to say to Jezel in Last Argument of Kings that sometimes kings die in mysterious ways, from choking on olive pits to being found dead in the morning, especially when they're no longer useful. He's lining up Orso and Savine to take over from their parents. 

The Weaver is also not Pike in my opinion. I believe that once again it is misdirection. 

My bet is on either the prophet or one of the other Magi being the Weaver. Also, regarding Rikki's visions of a door with a vast empty room behind it, is anyone else thinking House of the Maker, which curiously never gets mentioned this book? Here's hoping Yulwei will make his return. 

19 hours ago, Andrew Gilfellon said:

Theories after finishing it, and thoughts. 

The Weaver being Bayaz is probably too predictable.  I am guessing it will be either Shenkt because Monza is very rich because of Herman's gold. 

I may have misread but I remember tattoo's being mentioned on the Breakers and Burners? Possible Red Country rebel connection? 

Bayaz very much killed the King or had a part in it.  He did make a point to say to Jezel in Last Argument of Kings that sometimes kings die in mysterious ways, from choking on olive pits to being found dead in the morning, especially when they're no longer useful. He's lining up Orso and Savine to take over from their parents. 

The Weaver is also not Pike in my opinion. I believe that once again it is misdirection. 

My bet is on either the prophet or one of the other Magi being the Weaver. Also, regarding Rikki's visions of a door with a vast empty room behind it, is anyone else thinking House of the Maker, which curiously never gets mentioned this book? Here's hoping Yulwei will make his return. 

Tolomei must still be in there as well.

I guess with the newly industrialised Adua it sort of makes sense that the House of thr Maker is less noticeable/prominent. Massive factories everywhere and dirty smogs and smokes, it's got to be far less of an eye catcher than it was. 

25 minutes ago, nah said:

Also I kind of think he and Rikke are going to be fucking by the end of book 2.

Boooooooo! Boooooo this theory!

I’d like to believe Rikke isn’t so damaged that she’d begin a sexual relationship with someone that threatened to disembowel her. You ever seen a disemboweling? It’s fucking disgusting.

She better have more respect for herself than that. 

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I’d like to believe Rikke isn’t so damaged that she’d begin a sexual relationship with someone that threatened to disembowel her. You ever seen a disemboweling? It’s fucking disgusting.

I'd rather someone threatened to disembowel me than threaten to have me fucked by a pig.  I can understand the former. 

On 11/28/2019 at 12:40 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

"Strip her, whip her, pull her teeth out.  Get some thralls to fuck her, or maybe get a pig to do it.  Out in the open, where they can see.  Then, string her up with brambles, cut the bloody cross in her and pull her guts out, and send them to her father in a box.    Sweeten the box with herbs, so her father doesn't know what's in it till he opens it."

That's a real passion-killer, IMHO.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:11 PM, nah said:

I heard, through what I consider to be a reliable source, that Stour Nightfall, when killing Scale, was originally going to say

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Ok boomer

Also I kind of think he and Rikke are going to be fucking by the end of book 2.

I rather like the theory that he and Leo will be lovers at some point.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:12 AM, nah said:

Big bad Alpha dog like him, you know he gets off on being topped.

Kind of the Cnaiur urs Skiotha breaker of horses and men vibe?

On 11/28/2019 at 5:50 PM, nah said:

It seems like there are parts of that story he doesn't remember, so I'm just going to picture him chasing a group of terrified delinquents down the street, covered in blood, swinging a banister and screaming "I AM THE GREAT LEVELER! I AM THE WIND IN THE HIGH PLACES!"

" He felt intense pain as the scrote struck him with the bannister. And that was to the good.  For the pain simply fuelled the flames of his anger.  Anger that washed out across the children, across the city.  Joe hated all living things.  But his deepest-rooted, oldest-buried, most burning hatred,  that was for the scrotes.  Their death was a thing already written.  Carved in burning letters across the pavement.  "I am waiting" he hissed, the sound like water hitting burning coals."

Archived