Joe Abercrombie: The Collected Works 3 (Includes A Little Hatred Spoiler discussion)

Rhom

1 hour ago, Maia said:

Has it, though? IMHO, the story of Euz and his sons closing the doors to Hell which was the source of all magic wasn't entirely satisfying and struck me as about as historical as the Bible, despite the Magi still being around. It isn't like they are interested in spreading the truth about the past. For one thing, is there any reason to think that these doors can't be opened again?

True. Hell I don't think Bayaz even explains why the Magi are immortal in general? Did they all cast a spell? Was it a gift by their masters? And if they're simply naturally immortal for whatever reason why are they all so old appearance wise? Wouldn't it be more impressive if they all looked to be in their prime?

27 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Heck... Bayaz’ return sparking interest in the occult by a noble is pretty much the culmination of Glokta’s entire plot in The First Law! :dunno: 

Yeah. Speaking of Glokta I kinda always  found his lack of soul-searching a little odd. If Bayaaz exists, then there's a strong possibility God exists, and that Hell is a real place. 

Which should scare him. 

It should at least scare a lot of other nobles and peasants who didn't believe in God.

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Yeah. Speaking of Glokta I kinda always  found his lack of soul-searching a little odd. If Bayaaz exists, then there's a strong possibility God exists, and that Hell is a real place. 

Which should scare him. 

It should at least scare a lot of other nobles and peasants who didn't believe in God.

The existence of hell does not imply the existence of an afterlife or of a God.  In fact the existence of hell is an argument against the existence of an omnipotent creator-God.  

It's not true to say that we do not have any clues into the immortality of the Magi.  The effect on Bayaz of overusing magic in the trip to Aulcus is obvious. And as for the source of the immortality is that also not clear? Tolomei is undying because she touched the other side.  Presumably the other Magi are immortal because they have drawn magic from the other side throughout their lives? 

8 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

The existence of hell does not imply the existence of an afterlife or of a God.  In fact the existence of hell is an argument against the existence of an omnipotent creator-God.  

I honestly don't see how, but even if that was the case  I did not say God in this universe has to be omnipotent. 

Also, I would see the existence of hell is an after life. Just a really bad one.

A God does not have to be fair, or just, or good by human standards. 

8 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

And as for the source of the immortality is that also not clear? Tolomei is undying because she touched the other side.  Presumably the other Magi are immortal because they have drawn magic from the other side throughout their lives? 

Meh, I guess that works.

Wait Bayaaz has had apprentices who studied magic. 

17 hours ago, Maia said:

Even LOTR is presented as the last hurrah of magic. Abercrombie does it very well, granted, but I don't think that it would spoil anything or take anything away from his take on Industrial Revolution if he chose to increase the supernatural element. Mass production and bespoke, unique creations can and do coexist iRL.

Some series  also have magic being incorporated under the umbrella of a complex science. There's virtually little/distinction between the two made, and in a industrial setting ’magic’ is utilized by companies in their projects.

8 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I honestly don't see how, but even if that was the case  I did not say God in this universe has to be omnipotent. 

Also, I would see the existence of hell is an after life. Just a really bad one.

A God does not have to be fair, or just, or good by human standards. 

Meh, I guess that works.

Wait Bayaaz has had apprentices who studied magic. 

Before Euz sealed the gates, the hell existed at the same time as the world of the First Law and the devils roamed freely.  That's why I don't really think the notion of hell as an afterlife works in the story.  YMMV. 

Exposure to magic (or studying magic) is not the same as touching the other side.  My understanding is that the paradox of the First Law protects, at least to some extent, some magic users from the effects of touching the other side.  But we have never really been given an explanation by Joe.  We should ask at his next AMA.  

On 2/5/2020 at 7:00 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

I thought a high aptitude for magic was something you had to be born with. You couldn’t just learn it. 

To this, it's been speculated that Bayaaz’s apprentices are his sons. I mean if magic does diminish by the generation wouldn't a kid from one of the Magi be impugned with a greater reservoir than most? 

I guess hell can exist separate from the afterlife. Has there ever been mention of the dead existing there in the first law series? It could just be a place where demons and magic exists.

Even the spirits appear to be entities other than human ghosts

Phone has quoted an old message below for some reason. Just ignore

On 12/17/2019 at 2:47 AM, nah said:

It sounds that way being thrust upon the completed trilogy as we know it today, but I think he probably could have made it work in an interesting way. I like it when writers experiment and do weird stuff like 

On 2/8/2020 at 1:15 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

To this, it's been speculated that Bayaaz’s apprentices are his sons. I mean if magic does diminish by the generation wouldn't a kid from one of the Magi be impugned with a greater reservoir than most? 

Any evidence for this? It’s interesting. Could logen also be a bayaz by-blow? He certainly has a lot of the supernatural about him, and Bayaz had obviously been taking an interest in him long before we first met logen

1 hour ago, Valandil said:

Any evidence for this? It’s interesting. Could logen also be a bayaz by-blow? He certainly has a lot of the supernatural about him, and Bayaz had obviously been taking an interest in him long before we first met logen

I don't think so. But it would make sense right? I mean tracking down the truly mystical would be time consuming. 

Nice. Just pre ordered

ETA: I love googling the title of Joe’s books. It’s almost always a real world quote. 

“What they could do with 'round here is a good war. What else can you expect with peace running wild all over the place? You know what the trouble with peace is? No organization.“

Bertolt Brecht

• 3 weeks later...

New plot synopsis for The Trouble with Peace has been revealed!:

"Second in the AGE OF MADNESS trilogy, THE TROUBLE WITH PEACE is the next instalment of a series which is revolutionising fantasy . . .

Conspiracy. Betrayal. Rebellion.
Peace is just another kind of battlefield . . .

Savine dan Glokta, once Adua's most powerful investor, finds her judgement, fortune and reputation in tatters. But she still has all her ambitions, and no scruple will be permitted to stand in her way.

For heroes like Leo dan Brock and Stour Nightfall, only happy with swords drawn, peace is an ordeal to end as soon as possible. But grievances must be nursed, power seized and allies gathered first, while Rikke must master the power of the Long Eye . . . before it kills her.

Unrest worms into every layer of society. The Breakers still lurk in the shadows, plotting to free the common man from his shackles, while noblemen bicker for their own advantage. Orso struggles to find a safe path through the maze of knives that is politics, only for his enemies, and his debts, to multiply.

The old ways are swept aside, and the old leaders with them, but those who would seize the reins of power will find no alliance, no friendship, and no peace, lasts forever."

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Trouble-Peace-Book-Two-Madness-ebook/dp/B084D12JQT

15 hours ago, Nicomo Cosca said:

New plot synopsis for The Trouble with Peace has been revealed!:

"Second in the AGE OF MADNESS trilogy, THE TROUBLE WITH PEACE is the next instalment of a series which is revolutionising fantasy . . .

Conspiracy. Betrayal. Rebellion.
Peace is just another kind of battlefield . . .

Savine dan Glokta, once Adua's most powerful investor, finds her judgement, fortune and reputation in tatters. But she still has all her ambitions, and no scruple will be permitted to stand in her way.

So let's speculate.  What destroys Savine's judgement, fortune and reputation?

Archived