U.S. Politics: Attaquer son cul orange!

DireWolfSpirit

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

This is true, and as someone who's worked around college campuses his entire adult life, anecdotally I agree - in the strongest possible terms - that the "brah conservatives" are a hell of a lot scarier than your grandparents voting for Trump because he reminds them of their days in the John Birch society.  However, it should be noted that young voters right now lean much more Democratic than previous generations ever did, which is very encouraging empirical evidence for the future.

I think we need to permit hazing in fraternities again so the brah conservatives start dying off at higher rates. Maybe get frats to start vaping a lot, too.

4 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

...not every Trump supporter is an 80 year old holed up in a shack in the woods listening to AM talk radio and spending all day sending conspiracy theory chain emails to their grandkids.

They cannot just be waited out. They are not all going to die within the next 10 years. This is not going to be over in 2020 or 2024. There is no going back to complacent normalcy just because Agent Orange won't be in the White House forever. If we do get complacent like that, it will only bite us in the ass somewhere down the road.

Only those who don't pay attention would say that all the supporters are old and dying. that is for sure!

I'm getting curious about where those of us who participate on this thread generally turn to for their daily information as to what is going on -- not only politically, but about everything. 

I gather mine from a multitude of sources.  Friends are always sending me twitter content they think would be of interest or they believe I should be aware of.  Where I never go or even see: faux noose and those ilks; fb, yahoo, etc. feeds; youtube, and so on.  Almost all of them are print, at least print online, if not actually on paper.  Most of the major newspapers and magazines that the nutjob conspiracists call 'fake news,' including some that aren't in the US.  A few more local sources in states where I used to live or have friends and family living.  Occasionally CNN and MSNBC, but not often.  Raw Story is something I look at more than once a day, usually.  Other pubs such as the LRB I will go through about once a week.  And in spite of myself, I do listen to public radio, or at least have it playing softly, generally while working.

In contrast, I don't think my brother looks or reads any news sources at all except the company newsletters that Boeing bosses approve.  Which is where he acquired that hoary adage, "Government should be run like a business."  Somehow, lately, he's given up that one.  :laugh:  My sister and bil eat faux noose for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Nothing else gets through.

DACA (apparently) gets its SC chance tomorrow.  Will it stay or will it go?  Or will Roberts execute a triple judicial back flip?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/supreme-court-weighs-fate-of-daca-700000-young-immigrants/ar-BBWAjzo?ocid=msnclassic

More than 700,000 young immigrants, who came of age in America but have lacked permanent legal status, look to the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday to uphold a program protecting them from deportation to countries they've never truly known.

The justices will hear oral arguments in a case challenging President Donald Trump's controversial 2017 decision to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, which grants qualified immigrants temporary residency and work privileges.

The outcome could determine whether those young people, many of whom have registered with the government since 2012, may continue living and working legally in the U.S. or could be subject to removal.

39 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Only those who don't pay attention would say that all the supporters are old and dying. that is for sure!

I'm getting curious about where those of us who participate on this thread generally turn to for their daily information as to what is going on -- not only politically, but about everything. 

I gather mine from a multitude of sources.  Friends are always sending me twitter content they think would be of interest or they believe I should be aware of.  Where I never go or even see: faux noose and those ilks; fb, yahoo, etc. feeds; youtube, and so on.  Almost all of them are print, at least print online, if not actually on paper.  Most of the major newspapers and magazines that the nutjob conspiracists call 'fake news,' including some that aren't in the US.  A few more local sources in states where I used to live or have friends and family living.  Occasionally CNN and MSNBC, but not often.  Raw Story is something I look at more than once a day, usually.  Other pubs such as the LRB I will go through about once a week.  And in spite of myself, I do listen to public radio, or at least have it playing softly, generally while working.

In contrast, I don't think my brother looks or reads any news sources at all except the company newsletters that Boeing bosses approve.  Which is where he acquired that hoary adage, "Government should be run like a business."  Somehow, lately, he's given up that one.  :laugh:  My sister and bil eat faux noose for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Nothing else gets through.

For me, links posted here, MSNBC, Yahoo News, links from assorted blogs, and whatever pops up on Facebook.  Something interests me, I'll start running google searches.  

The 'dying off' bit is a bit different.  I am a rural mail carrier in a highly conservative area.  I routinely deliver right wing propaganda to hundreds of boxes - and more 'left' material to maybe several dozen.  However, most of those people are *old* - social security age.  And they're dying at a fairly alarming rate (20+ this year out of around 500, no exaggeration).  This situation has increased fairly dramatically over the past decade, and applies not just to my route, but the whole area. 

Case in point: my Father was a 'pillar of the community' type and ardent Trump fan.  He acted as the estate executor for several of his friends.  We had a memorial service for him, sent out invites, took our best guess as to how many would show up.  We got about 1/3rd the expected attendees.  There would have been more, but we didn't realize that a large percentage of those others had already died.  

I see more traces of this online.  Ghost towns for sale.  Rural communities that once numbered into the hundreds or even thousands reduced to a few dozen.  Mostly in heavily conservative areas.

All that said, I do not see conservatives as 'dying out.'  I do see a major decline in numbers and increasing infighting - among other things, there are no few evangelical types who are....highly unthrilled...with having to support the likes of Trump, and there is growing contention between other factions.  Conservatives are already a minority, holding onto power in several states solely through gerrymandering and short term sub legal chicanery.  

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

All that said, I do not see conservatives as 'dying out.'  I do see a major decline in numbers and increasing infighting - among other things, there are no few evangelical types who are....highly unthrilled...with having to support the likes of Trump, and there is growing contention between other factions.  Conservatives are already a minority, holding onto power in several states solely through gerrymandering and short term sub legal chicanery.  

In terms of the rural voters.  As per usual when ATC - public radio decided to poll voters in Virginia about what they thought about the recent election, the voice that got the longest and most respectful attention from the reporter was a guy who lived in a small community and was a passionate bedbugger.  He ranted for a long time about, "It's not fair.  The red parts of the state are much larger than the blue ones, but the blue ones have the largest number of voters.  This is just wrong.  We are the biggest part of the state and they are the smallest, but they get the most representation just because they have more voters."

So much logic here, it really hurts.

8 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Rumor is out there that Deval Patrick is considering jumping in.  

This article says that late entrants never win but focuses on Bloomberg.  

Yah, I just saw that:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/11/us/politics/deval-patrick-2020-president.html?

Mr. Patrick has told party leaders that he doesn’t think any of the candidates running have established political momentum and that he thinks there is an opening for somebody who can unite both liberals and moderate Democrats, according to Democrats who have spoken to him.

Soooooo ... what does he call what Sanders and Warren are doing?

20 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sorry for not linking it, but the Supreme Court is allowing the families of the victims at Sandy Hook to sue Remington. I’m not sure how it will play out, but this has the potential to be a game changer.

That actually seems like a big deal to this neophyte.

27 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

That actually seems like a big deal to this neophyte.

I’m not sure how it would work exactly, but the threat alone could cause significant changes.

I’m surprised the thread is fairly dead. It’s not like something historic isn’t happening right now or something….

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It’s not like something historic isn’t happening right now or something….

It's certainly historic, but it's also pretty boring - one hour in and still getting through Taylor's opening statement.

I'm sure everyone's already all over this (or even better sources of info) but just in case (from Slate)...

We know Twitter will be having a field day, which is why we’ve rounded up top commentators from both sides of the aisle. You’ll see liberal tweets on the left and conservative tweets on the right. Follow along below.

It's kind of fun to see both "sides" react/spin in almost real-time.

the plaintiff's theory and the procedural history are summarized in the petition for certiorari (NB: this is the petitioners' interpretation of what was alleged by the plaintiffs/respondents and what the courts below did with the case).   this is further the petition that the US supreme court has denied. 

the state supreme court apparently reversed the lower state court's dismissal of a claim (i.e., on the pleadings alone) under the state unfair trade practices statute; the state supreme court seems to have ruled that one theory of recovery under this state statute is timely under state law.  the US supreme court will not have cared about this issue.

the state supreme court then went on to rule that the state unfair trade practices statute is an exception to the federal PLCAA (15 USC 7901 et seq.) that generally preempts claims against firearms manufacturers; the exception concerns statutes applicable to the sale of firearms (15 USC 7903(5)(A)(iii))--here, an allegation that the marketing is wrongful under the state statute. 

the petitioners agree with the state supreme court dissent that this general state UTP act is not specifically applicable to the sale of firearms, making a 'policy' argument that congress intended to immunize the firearms industry from this sort of claim--ignoring nevertheless that the PLCAA has an exception for "an action in which a manufacturer or seller of a qualified product knowingly violated a State or Federal statute applicable to the sale or marketing of the product, and the violation was a proximate cause of the harm for which relief is sought."

i can see why this would be interesting to the US supreme court, though it is not obviously something that should be dismissed.  This is a win for gun control advocates--but it is not unequivocal--it is merely the declination of the high court to hear this initial appeal at the motion to dismiss stage; the defendants can appeal later at the summary judgment stage and the post-trial stage.  it is accordingly difficult to draw any inferences.

9 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

It's kind of fun to see both "sides" react/spin in almost real-time.

I like how Richard M. Nixon is one of the Twitter handles frequently cited on the right side.

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's certainly historic, but it's also pretty boring - one hour in and still getting through Taylor's opening statement.

Boring to most, fascinating to few. I was always excited to do committee prep when I was an intern in the MN State Senate. That said, I think this paints the contrast perfectly:

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

I like how Richard M. Nixon is one of the Twitter handles frequently cited on the right side.

Me, too!  I also like how, so far, a big deal to the Trumpists seems to be how Schiff lied about not knowing the identity of the whistleblower.  "If you can't argue the facts or the law, pound the table!"  Indeed...

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Boring to most, fascinating to few. I was always excited to do committee prep when I was an intern in the MN State Senate.

Yeah I don't think many are tuning in because they get all hot and bothered by Robert's Rules of Order.

Archived