U.S. Politics: Attaquer son cul orange!

DireWolfSpirit

5 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Big pocket donors want to be sure that the winner won’t raise their taxes and are worried about Biden falling apart?

I agree that makes the most sense.  It's just those Wall Street donors should realize Patrick doesn't have a chance and they're wasting their money.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

they failed to create a cohesive narrative and all Republicans have to do is make a mess of everything, which they did.

Yeah, this is what I disagree with though - and I've heard the same thing on MSNBC.  Was working from home today so I listened to basically the entire hearing.  Thought the Dems' narrative was quite cohesive and thorough throughout it all, as well as generated testimony from Taylor and Kent providing plenty of sound bites to put together a succinct narrative.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, this is what I disagree with though - and I've heard the same thing on MSNBC.  Was working from home today so I listened to basically the entire hearing.  Thought the Dems' narrative was quite cohesive and thorough throughout it all, as well as generated testimony from Taylor and Kent providing plenty of sound bites to put together a succinct narrative.

That's because you were watching it. Don't watch it as yourself. Watch it as the group of people that needs to be flipped in order for this to work.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's because you were watching it. Don't watch it as yourself. Watch it as the group of people that needs to be flipped in order for this to work.

Um, I know what to look for.  Taylor and Kent basically spoon-fed it to voters.  It's not a messaging problem at that point, it's simply on the voters.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Um, I know what to look for.  Taylor and Kent basically spoon-fed it to voters.  It's not a messaging problem at that point, it's simply on the voters.

Well yeah. I just don't think there was enough there yet to change the minds of low information Republicans who are lukewarm on Trump.

53 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Per usual, Democrats won the battle over substance while Republicans won the optics. And yes, Republicans’ strategy has been and always will be relying on the fact that their voters are idiots.

Also, how can anyone listen to Jordan and walkaway thinking he’s an honest person.

If it's purely optics and soundbites, Jim Jordan got zinged pretty well here. 

40 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yep. And the voters down here don’t pay attention. Not sure how many LIV are even aware these have started, much less what they consist of. 

Edit: my older brother is over. He’s a classic example. I’m going to go do an experiment.  Be back with results in 20-30 minutes.

Edit 2: need an additional 20 minutes added to initial time frame. Questioning hasn’t even begun yet. Dinner was eaten first. 

9 minutes ago, Trebla said:

If it's purely optics and soundbites, Jim Jordan got zinged pretty well here. 

The rare "the entire chamber is laughing at you" moment. Glad I got to watch that part live (I had to listen to most of it on NPR).

3 hours ago, Trebla said:

So the GOP's defense of Trump today is: None of these witnesses spoke directly to President Trump, so this hearing is a farce!

Also their defense: None of the President's inner-circle who spoke directly to him should testify before the House because this hearing is a farce!

The sad thing is I think they are going to get away with it again. They've sold their souls to stack the courts.

Underlined by their ever-present general defence: anyone who criticizes Trump betrays their bias against him, ergo the only people qualified to criticize him are those who don’t.

Questioning has been completed. I tried to keep things general at first, and then narrowed it down.

Me - Can you tell me of any major event that started in U.S. Politics today?

Brother- No.

Me - Then are you aware that Democrats are trying to impeach Donald Trump?

Brother - Yes.

Me - Do you know what they are trying to impeach Donald Trump for?

Brother - No.

Me - Do you think it is OK for a sitting president to try and use his position to help himself win an election?

Brother - I don't want to answer these questions.

Me- Do you think it is OK for a sitting president to use his position to ask another country to discredit his political rivals?

Brother - They all do that.

Me - That's not what I'm asking. It's a yes or no. Do you think it is OK for a sitting president to use his position to ask another country to discredit his political rivals?

Brother - No.

37 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Me - Do you think it is OK for a sitting president to try and use his position to help himself win an election?

Brother - I don't want to answer these questions.

Yeah generally I don't even bother broaching politics with my brother - and I live with him.  Pretty much the only time I'll mention anything politically related is if it's something funny like the Jordan/Welch exchange mentioned above.

A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that lawmakers can seek eight years of President Donald Trump’s tax returns, escalating a long battle between the White House and Congress.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit let stand a previous ruling against Trump that affirmed Congress’ authority to request the president’s tax returns, according to The Washington Post and Politico. 

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/appeals-court-rules-congress-can-seek-trumps-tax-returns-report_n_5dcc9992e4b0d43931ceff1b

Appeals Court Rules Congress Can Seek Trump’s Tax Returns: Reports
A federal appeals court let stand a previous ruling in favor of lawmakers who have long been trying

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah generally I don't even bother broaching politics with my brother - and I live with him.  Pretty much the only time I'll mention anything politically related is if it's something funny like the Jordan/Welch exchange mentioned above.

Yep. Good advice if you were raised in a conservative environment and want to remain on speaking terms with your family.

Just for the hell of it I called up my mother and asked her the same questions as my brother. It was scary how similar the answers were. From, "I don't want to answer these questions" to " Both side do it!, but you have to choose the lesser of two evils!" 

I'm sure she'll start speaking to me again next week.

Archived